Thread: Coyote 6r80 sst pcm upfitting into a 05-10 4.6 3v mustange gt

Coyote 6r80 sst pcm upfitting into a 05-10 4.6 3v mustange gt

How many of you 4.6L & 5.4L owners mustang and f150 guys are running a copper head pcm with a 6r80 and maintain factory controls and cluster as well as select shift? I'm in the process of some huge thing and my results have been outstanding.

Im currently run such a pcm and calibration on my 08 5.4 3v and the truck is running better than ever it has a return fuel system, aeromotive rails and regulator -8 in -6 out, FORD 60lb injectors gt500 dual pump with oem expedition hat, roush supercharger @ 13 psi all stock bottom end with more then 100000, kooks long tubes and high flow green cats, custom oem 8'" sync system, no cams yet but vct system fully operational no lockouts. I have been running the truck like this for over 2 years now and it has been great no issues other than a starter. Transmission is a 2014 6r80 out of a 5.0 f150 it replaced my 6r75 that has the tcm built in.

This could also be fitting into a ford lightning or cobra / gt500 if anyone is looking to do the swap let me know and I can assist with what needs to happen.

I'll post some logs from my truck in the next couple of days, just cant give anyone this calibration it takes tons of time and patience to do what I can do so don't ask for it please. Im more than happy to hep though on tuning your project and what you need in order to accomplish the job and make sure it runs right.

You can also run the pcm in line with the quick 6 from us shifts its actually a really good controller and easy to tune by yourself I have used it as well. it works good with the factory pcm and doesn't cause any problem when set up right.

Here is a log from today truck is running great no surging smooth as silk also mountain cruising fuel mileage as gone up seeing around 15.2 mpg on my boosted setup. The vct system is working great and helping the fuel mileage always being on and off the gas around the mountains of north ga. Next ill make a few Wot Pulls may add one from before I swapped the new OS. The whole reason I swapped over is hpt was taking to long to add more parameters on to my OEM OS RHXB6B4 this new system is a lot more intuitive and if you know what your doing it makes a huge difference in drivability. It was no means easy to do and I got over a week (100hrs) initial calibration and another week (100hrs) into logging and changing parameters to suit the truck. If anyone wants to venture into doing a 6r80 swap on a 05-10 mustang or f150 let me know I'm your guy. I can get you list of parts as well as supply you with a preflashed based tuned copperhead pcm for your project. Or if you are in need of a calibration for you silveroak, black oak, spanish oak, green oak pcm I can help as well.

Mods to my 08 Expedition King Ranch include:

stock long block no changes from day it was built by ford
    stock cams and phasers
    12mm spark plugs / heads
    90mm ford racing throttle body
    ecoboost map sensor for logging
    ported plenum
    kooks longtube headers and green cats
    roush intercooled m112 supercharger package @ 13.5 psi
    afco dual pass w/ fans ZL1 heat exchanger
    zl1 camaro heat exchanger pump
    full return fuel system -8 feed -6 return
    aeromotive rails block regulator run in parallel
    gt500 dual fuel pump with custom oe hat from original pump
    gibbson 3' in dual 2.5 out
    msd coils
    mishimoto radiator
    108mm maf housing
    copperhead pcm
    electric oem ford f150 expedition fans
    3:73 posi rear end may go back tomy 3:31 gear set
    custom oem interior with 8" sync system
    quick 6 trans controller gen 2 (running in sync with the copperhead) (I already had it so kept it in for now since it has trans brake)

I've been boosted with this truck for about 4 years now 2 of the years have been at 13.5 psi with no problems as yet. I live in the North Ga mountains which are very harsh on vehicles and truck has been great so far.

if anyone need info or help on
    Attached Files Attached Files

This Is a older log prior to the OS Swap truck was running good but I need more to control.

My latest testing and results with my swap of using a 5.0 pcm to control my 5.4 3v engine the results have been outstanding and the testing is showing huge improvements in driveability over my original 14 expedition pcm and stock cal modified. there is alot of work and testing that goes into making a 5.0 11-14 pcm control all the aspects of a 4.6 or 5.4 3v engine. alot of the stuff is completely different so you got know whats going on its not a simple change a few parameters its you gotta make every table suite the needs of the vehicle your calibration.

When I started with my base 14 expedition calibration I could get it driving and it was really good, but I wanted more and HP tuners did map more of the calibration for me but some key parameters needed for a forced induction application as far as vcm scanner tools were missing. I had a idea what about a 5.0 FI system could run the engine and VCT system since the mustang and expedition share alot of parameters and systems in the 13-14 5.0 Everyone said it couldn't be done but its done and the truck is running better than ever. It feels like a oem calibration right off the showroom floor from ford. The fuel mileage is better than ever on my daily commutes and the power is ready to be tapped when a tip in occurs.

IF any 3v guys are looking to move to a newer copperhead pcm I can help you guys get there and have tested a ton and know what works and does not of I started with a 08 king ranch expedition / 6r75 mechatronic with a silver oak now its using a 6r80 5.0 roush pcm and I have all the info in vcm scanner and tables in hp tuners I could ever need. The Best part is the pcm is a 6r80 pcm and it would be perfect for 3v guys who want to swap out there TR3650 or 5r55S TO 6R80 select shift units.

Here is a short log from yesterday and I have more to add soon.

Tuner in Training
    very interested we have a 06 navi with a zf trans and would looovvvveee to get more out of the setup. been promised that hp tuners would do more zf6hp trans stuff hell I cant even change the VCT with a black oak ecu or set it up for flex fuel. i click on os with the editor and its blank. feel free to email me if you want I'm very curious to see if my application is applicable [email protected]

More logs and testing

Been working on the vct functions for the truck and getting it dialed in so it runs the best it can. Here is the latest log from yesterday soon ill be adding the hot rod cams to the set up. but as of now the long block is stock and is the original built as ford motor that came in the vehicle still running.

The other log is one I made with the vct off you can run the vehicle either way both feel as if it was a new truck calibrated from for no vct lockouts used.

Personally I like using the vct system it helps with fuel mileage when cruising but if you wanna run aggressive cams you may have to lock out or disable the vct system depending on how aggressive you go. Also when running no vct system you will be locked in one map point you will see the differences in log 1 where it uses multiple MP's vs log 2 no vct commanded and one map point even though I have 5 active.

Some of the most important things with the ford racing 90mm throttle body on this set up is getting torque tables and etc data as close to actual as possible. if you don't you will have surging and under initial take off and oscillations while cruising. when I first started to tune this setup that was problem with the original calibration.
    Last edited by Lost0187; 08-08-2022 at 10:13 AM.

DSP RACING I hear you I started out with my 2008 Expedition's silveroak pcm with a 6r75 mechitronic tcm and it also had very limited table with all HP Tuners has going on it can take a very long time for them to add to files my original 14 expedition copperhead file they did add tons of stuff to which helped with the tunning process prior to me undertaking do a complete 5.0 Roush mustang pcm swap. as far as the black oak pcm it has some more capabilities then sometimes in the calibration due to it not being mapped you might not have them all ill look at what I have on hand and email you here soon. What kinds of modifications do you have on your navigator and what are you trying to get out of the vehicle performance or efficiency?

Todays cruise to the local store made a change to my global spark adder and my startup spark this system has be top notch on my 3v ford. Gonna be going over to my original tuners dyno soon @INJECTED ENGINEERING Aric is the man and knows his Ford and dodge vehicles. hope to have base hp numbers soon so I can improve on the vct system and calibration.

Potential Tuner

5.4 3v ecu help.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost0187 View Post
    Todays cruise to the local store made a change to my global spark adder and my startup spark this system has be top notch on my 3v ford. Gonna be going over to my original tuners dyno soon @INJECTED ENGINEERING Aric is the man and knows his Ford and dodge vehicles. hope to have base hp numbers soon so I can improve on the vct system and calibration.
    I have a 07 saleen supercharged 5.4 3v. Haven't been able to drive it do to ecu issues. I've been thinking about the 6r80 swap. I saw the 2010 some f150 use the 5.4 3v with the 6r80 from the factory. Any knowledge or help in what you did would be appreciated. Do you have a email. I signed up when I saw your post.

Potential Tuner
    Interested in doing the 4.6 3V 6R80 in a S197.... If you don't mind getting with me on what is needed to make this functional. If you need to send me a message and I can give you a breakdown of the car as it currently is and my goals with it.