Thread: 2016 ats-v first tune advice.

Potential Tuner

2016 ats-v first tune advice.

Good evening,

I am new to the LF4 platform but have been reading a bit about how to make a few adjustments for more power. I have installed colder plugs and gapped them at .026 for now, cold air intake, cat-less downpipes, and 93 octane fuel. There are currently no additional mods. I didn't want to change too many parameters as to keep from causing something terribly expensive to break.

The car is learning the new fuel trims I'm guessing, but there is a terrible rasp with the new downpipes. I did observe about 16lbs of boost and the torque estimator was as high as 575 ish. I have concerns about the low RPM/ low throttle knock retard I saw. I also noticed that the IAT's were pretty high as well. Probably need to fill and bleed the intercooler systems. I have attached the tune and scan. Please forgive the length of the scan. there are two WOT full pulls through third gear and a partial WOT in 4th. 16 atsv manual downpipes mod 1 plus rear o2's off.hptmod 1 no rear o2's.hpl

Any advice on improving this tune or making it safer would be greatly appreciated. I have reloaded the stock tune for now.

Advanced Tuner
    You're missing lots of parameters that are critical for ATS-V tuning and diagnostics. Here are some VCM Scanner channels and layout configuration files we've created specifically for the ATS-V.

ATS-V High Resolution with Ballenger.Channels.xml

ATS-V with Injector Duty Cycle.Layout.xml
    2022 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing (733 whp)
    2022 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing (716 whp), 10.750 @ 134.77 mph
    2016 Cadillac ATS-Vs (eleven ATS-Vs in the 9s)
    2008 Pontiac G8 (first G8 in the 10s), 10.727 @ 129.87 mph
    2000 Bonneville SSEi (first 3800 Bonneville in the 10s), 10.711 @ 125.71 mph
    1999 Grand Prix GT (first 3800 FWD in the 8s), 8.902 @ 154.90 mph
    1998 Firebird (first 3800 RWD in the 8s), 843 whp, 8.991 @ 152.12 mph
    1998 Grand Prix GTP (first 3800 FWD in the 10s), 9.499 @ 145.13 mph

Potential Tuner
    Thanks man, this is a well put together layout. I have set mine up to match what you have here, and I'll get a couple pulls this evening.

good approach to eliminate low rpm knock ist to smooth and reduce cam tables in that region a bit and to set scavenging boost DC lower, the ats-v mostly runs 95% dc on low load, smoothing the transition from scavenging to normal combustion helps a lot and also i feel the car drives much smoother than.
    next, what i always do is I reduce humidity advance... mostly i half the whole table or zero it out then retune high octane spark advance... as there is no logging channel for humidity advance but for all other spark corrections, you never really know where your desired final advance is, but you'll see the KR and the final advance as outcome.

also tune your maf tables pecisely for the intake, mainly in idle and low loads, make a histogram channel for STFT+LTFT for each bank and log vs MAF frequency... than you directly can copy and paste the percentage of this correction to your MAF tables, but attention only do this for part load MAF frequencies, so smooth out the higher frequecies and/or double check full load with a wideband.
    done correctly all the low load and idle popping those cars often do will be gone

there is absolutely no need to touch anything in SD or Virtual Torque tables or anything messing up the torque model/calculations, if the rest is done right, the car will 100% do what you command.

w/o fuel system modifications watch your high side fuel pressure that will tell you when to stop making torque when it starts to drop

Potential Tuner
    Thanks dertobi. I'll have a look today. I'm under the car right now removing the X-pipe as it seems this is the reason for the rasp. Once cat-less downpipes are installed, apparently this is the most common fix for the rasp. After that, I'll do some logging and look at what you have suggested.

Potential Tuner
    Send me a log if you want, I can assist.