Thread: M177 bench read/ diagnostics

M177 bench read/ diagnostics

Hi,
    I?m not sure if I should post here or another area. I have started a project, shoehorning an m177 and 722.9 trans into a 70?s Australian muscle car.
    I have bought the crate engine with incorporated engine loom that includes the ecu, mounted low front right near alternator, the loom terminates at the firewall 3 connectors. As such, I do not have the obd2 plug.
    How do I connect the hptuners interface to the ecu on the bench to read and scan?
    I have found a pin out for the med 17.7.5 and have hooked up pwr, gnd, can-h, can-l and ignition but cannot establish a connecting.
    I am using the latest public release.
    Any help much appreciated.

Advanced Tuner
    So youre connecting HP directly to the ecu? Ive never heard of that but I dont see why not. This will be interesting. If it were me Id add an obd so you can use the scanner program while driving. Other than that I have details/pinout on using KTAG/KESS for bench tinkering. Pretty sure its 5 pins but I can check. Plus one for boot but HP wont need that. I used KESS to back up my ecu before using HP, just in case, plus I cloned it to another ecu so I have a spare and the clone is what I tinker with.
    If nobody has an answer Id ask the HP staff. Please let us know what you find, Im curious.

Yes, connecting directly from hptuners unit to the ecu pins, aka bench harness.
    It will get an OBD plug in the cabin once installed. I picked up the engine only a few days ago, so I wanted to get into the ecu before install to move forward in that area.
    First step was to connect with scanner and get the vin and then do a virtual read.

At the moment with pwr gnd and CAN H/L I only get the ? can?t determine vehicle protocol? error.

have you tried with the GPT pins connected just to rule it out which I know for sure it connects on other softwares without GPT and double check if you are using the right pinouts

This is the pin out I’m guided by. I haven’t tried the gpt pins but will tonight. I am assuming s1 and s2 are the gpt pins.
    C8C6B7CF-F9E3-46DE-8DC2-06E86DA86DFE.png
    Thank you for the suggestion.

Okay, no joy with the GPT pins.
    However, I did have a thought regarding the two pairs of CAN wires. I have tried the two different CAN bus separately, But now i'm wondering if I should be joining the common CAN H's and CAN L's together. I'm going to continuity check the engine loom first to see if they are spliced together there before trying this theory.

Quote Originally Posted by TNT76 View Post
    Okay, no joy with the GPT pins.
    However, I did have a thought regarding the two pairs of CAN wires. I have tried the two different CAN bus separately, But now i'm wondering if I should be joining the common CAN H's and CAN L's together. I'm going to continuity check the engine loom first to see if they are spliced together there before trying this theory.
    are you using a tool like PCMbox ?

PIN 50 just use the red wire not the orange
    Last edited by outlaw_50; 07-14-2022 at 05:48 AM.
    Xstages Motorsport

Tuning inquiries:

ECU, TCU, CPC Online Tuning
    Whatsapp: +971503383340
    Email: [email protected]
    Insta: @xstages.motorsport
    www.xstages.com