Thread: Warm start drivability issue.

Tuner in Training

Warm start drivability issue.

I have a 2015 5.0 Whipple 2.9L and I'm having a very specific problem in my tune. It occurs after a warm start. Lets say I drive to town and go into a store to shop. When I come out the car starts fine, but when I start to drive off it feels like I'm towing a camper. The exhaust is louder than normal and the car has no power for a few seconds and then it quiets down and runs normally. Sometimes I can also rev the engine a couple times before driving and it won't do it. Any ideas?

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    log and file
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Quote Originally Posted by dbranger94 View Post
    I have a 2015 5.0 Whipple 2.9L and I'm having a very specific problem in my tune. It occurs after a warm start. Lets say I drive to town and go into a store to shop. When I come out the car starts fine, but when I start to drive off it feels like I'm towing a camper. The exhaust is louder than normal and the car has no power for a few seconds and then it quiets down and runs normally. Sometimes I can also rev the engine a couple times before driving and it won't do it. Any ideas?
    You are describing a cold start behavior where there should not be any.
    Louder and gutless because timing is negative to warm up cats. Blipping throttle exits cold start on my 2013.

Tuner in Training
    CSER.PNG

Should I zero out the Drive and Neutral tables from 70-180F ?

Edit: In the log you can see timing jump to 22-24deg and then get smacked back down by something. It does this five or six times before being allowed to continue on it's own, but it's not a big deal until about 33 seconds into the log, when I leave a stop sign and have no power for a couple of seconds.
    Last edited by dbranger94; 07-14-2022 at 07:57 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Would something like this work to keep this from happening? Or am I looking in the wrong place?
    CSER2.PNG

I'm running Stainless Works headers and high flow cats. Is CSER really needed with this setup?

Tuner in Training
    Nobody?

Advanced Tuner
    Nobody?
    you can try my ROUSH settings
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by mstang_man View Post
    you can try my ROUSH settings
    Thanks, I may try these out tomorrow. I'm not sure it's my actual problem yet, but maybe I'll try this and also "55"ing out the tables to see if it changes anything.

Tuner in Training
    I modified my cal for the Roush CSER and cold start was much smoother. I haven't logged the warm start yet, but it does feel better, but not perfect. I'm going to log at lunch and see what it looks like. I still wonder if I'm masking another problem. I also noticed in the log file that MAP and Absolute Load, both calculated, also jump up unexpectedly while it's pulling timing. I'm wondering if one of my TQ tables is off, but then why doesn't it do it all the time...

Advanced Tuner
    I modified my cal for the Roush CSER and cold start was much smoother. I haven't logged the warm start yet, but it does feel better, but not perfect. I'm going to log at lunch and see what it looks like. I still wonder if I'm masking another problem. I also noticed in the log file that MAP and Absolute Load, both calculated, also jump up unexpectedly while it's pulling timing. I'm wondering if one of my TQ tables is off, but then why doesn't it do it all the time...
    raise your wheel torque error Max under torque monitoring to 75,000
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuner in Training
    raise your wheel torque error Max under torque monitoring to 75,000
    If I'm understanding this correctly, that should tell me if the problem is in one of my TQ tables correct?

Advanced Tuner
    If I'm understanding this correctly, that should tell me if the problem is in one of my TQ tables correct?
    if you data logging torque error, torque demanded and actual torque it will help you determine if there is a torque issue. if i remember right your tune file the max torque error was pretty low, and so was the max and min torque tables. you dont want to over shoot the torque table IE demand more than what can be produced and you dont want to under shoot your torque you can get hesitation, bog, surging ect.

Tuner in Training
    Well I've been working on the issue some more. I've found that increasing the timing in the SERB Drive and Neutral tables, in the last two columns, helps with the warm start issue. It kind of makes sense in hind sight. It may be a band-aid, but if it works...

SCER3.PNG

Advanced Tuner
    Well I've been working on the issue some more. I've found that increasing the timing in the SERB Drive and Neutral tables, in the last two columns, helps with the warm start issue. It kind of makes sense in hind sight. It may be a band-aid, but if it works...

SCER3.PNG
    i have those tables set to 55 across all rows and columns

Tuner in Training
    i have those tables set to 55 across all rows and columns
    I tried that, but then I got really rough starts. I'll eventually get it dialed in.