Thread: Need help understanding a license thing

Tuner in Training

Need help understanding a license thing

I have a modified 2000 silverado 1500 that I've previously tuned. I've swapped the motor out and want to add features found on a 2002 Tahoe. Both that truck and mine have the P01 ECU. I want to flash the Tahoe file onto my 2000 ECU. So I get the Flex Fuel options to show up... Here's my question...

I pulled that file from the repository off this site. So... If i try to use the VIN CHANGE WIZARD, it tells me that that my vin isn't valid as its a silverado, not a tahoe. And it won't let me just write that tune without paying for another liscense (which i feel is REALLY STUPID, as I want to program it on MY ALREADY PAID FOR ECU!...

Anyways, if i use another 2 credits and purchase the VIN ONLY (not the all 2002 tahoe) liscense, will I then be able to flash it to my ECU and change the vin to my trucks vin?

Or will my ECU retain my VIN as "my vin". or will the new tune fine, show that tahoe vin on my ECU when connected?

Thanks

You didn't pay for the ECU, you payed to license the file/OS.

The other file is what you have to license, changing the VIN is not something you need or want to do. The VIN also means absolutely nothing here unless for some reason you live in a place that makes sure the VIN on the computer matches the VIN on the dash.

If you want to use the 2002 Tahoe features you must license the 2002 Tahoe file/OS and write entire that to your current computer.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Ok.. Thanks.. That's what I wanted to be sure of. I didn't want to pay for another file then have it not work because of some vin thing or whatever.

Tuner in Training
    Then i think this system is A LOT worse (payment wise) than id originally thought. I figured I'd pay for my ECU and could reflash THAT ECU as much as I wanted. Not paying everytime i want to change feature sets on it..
    It would've made more since to then license the ECU by its model# like P01 or P05 or whatever, and let you share across any that would flash to it. Not each and everytune. That means that everytune file from the repository, could have someone potentially pay for it over and over and over and over....

So when this is done, I'll still have only 1 ecu that then cost me 4 credits to tune instead of 2. Seems shady on HP Tuners Part to me.

Tuner in Training
    AND Furthermore, I just looked this up. And found a VIDEO from HP Tuners where they are stating you "LICENSE THE VEHICLE CONTROL MODULE" ...
    The video is on Youtube titled: HP Tuners Credits and Licensing Explained. The time stamp where they say this is 0:52...
    and here's a link to the video itself.
    https://youtu.be/nwIj3A54b3Y

Once a file+PCM combo is licensed it can be reflashed with that licensed file as many times as you want, for free. You cannot flash different files for free, that would create a new file+PCM combo that has to be relicensed. You can't flash your licensed file onto multiple different PCMs for free, that would also create a new file+PCM combo.