Thread: VF L77/6L80E conversion - Won't Start

Potential Tuner

VF L77/6L80E conversion - Won't start

Hello,

I have got a VF Calais L77 6L with a 6L80E and have fitted it to a VZ. It came with the main engine loom which has the plugs to the E38 ECU along with 3 other plugs, one to fuse box, one for other various signals and a smaller one which is mainly for brake signals.
    I have made up a wiring chart and pinned into these 3 plugs to try and get it started.
    I have applied the VATS patch, and disabled the starter monitoring but I can make it crank and get no spark or fuel.
    I've been searching for a few answers and can't seem to find what I'm after so was hoping someone can help.

Will P1682 - Driver 5 Line 2 (permanent) prevent the engine from running?
    I have scoured through all the wiring and as far as I can see on the VF E38 drawings that I have, there are no ignition/acc feeds to X2, on X1 I have the following powered with 12V
    X1 - 18 - Accessory wakeup serial data (without power on this the speedo reads 280km/h, seems I need this high as it also powers pin 9 on the auto for serial data wakeup
    X1 - 19 - Run/Crank Ignition 1 voltage
    X1 - 20 - Battery + voltage
    X1 - 47 - Powertrain Main Relay Fused Supply (1)
    What else is the ECU looking for that generates this error? Is it looking for serial data from a BCM for ignition voltages or have I missed a pin somewhere that needs voltage? Is it looking for a relay load on X1-59 (Powertrain relay coil control)?

I also get U0109 - Lost communication with fuel pump controller. In the tune I have set this to fixed, but looks like it's something in the OS I can't see how to delete. I don't mind if I have to source this module and fit, but will this error prevent the ECU from allowing it to run? (I do have fuel pressure at the rail)

U0140 - Lost communication with BCM, this is expected with any 'stand alone' conversion I'm tipping and assume this shouldn't be a cause of no run provided the VATS is disabled?

Brake pedal position sensor circuit - I'll have to put a resistor across this, as open it generates a fault and shorting generates a fault, but will this prevent it from starting?

P0230 - Fuel pump primary circuit - Will this prevent it from running? I've got my own switch on the fuel pump temporarily, but can fiddle around and wire into the ECU, I've read on other forums that people have their car running but check engine light is on with this fault, so I'm guessing not the cause.

P0122 - Throttle/pedal position sensor A circuit low
    P0223 - Throttle/Pedal position sensor/Switch B circuit high
    P2122 - Throttle/Pedal position sensor/Switch D circuit low input
    I'll have to meter through this properly however in the same service manual that I have there are conflicting schematics of which pin from the pedal goes where. One page only shows 4 pins on the pedal while the other page shows the 6 pins, I have used the 6 pin schematic and pressing the pedal has the effect expected on the throttle body, so it must be seeing the signals, but I'm not sure if this would have an effect on it starting either, especially since pressing the pedal has instant response all the way to WOT on the TB.

I have attached pdf's of the drawings I'm working with along with the tune I currently have in.
    Main operating system: 1250242

Any help to get this thing started is appreciated.

Thanks
    Ben
    Last edited by ben_att; 11-02-2022 at 12:19 AM.

Senior Tuner
    VZ and VF have totally different canbus data so i can only guess that most of the modules arnt able to communicate with each other so wont run

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the reply. I understand that there will be other issues later with dash/ABS etc, but for now I am treating it as a ?stand alone? type thing to get it started. I have seen heaps of threads where these motors and autos are put into all types of cars. If it means I need to load a different tune/OS into the E38 thats fine but I need one that supports the serial data to the 6L80E and will run without being linked to a BCM. The motor and auto are standard, so a factory tune should be fine I?m guessing. Just that P1682 is the annoying one because I cant find much detail on it, just that people say it is the ignition barrel switch or a blown fuse/faulty relay and no detail on if that DTC being logged will prevent the engine from running.

Thanks
    Last edited by ben_att; 07-19-2022 at 06:23 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Hello again,

So I was having a play again today and have got a log attached from when trying to crank, it looks like it's fueling but I get no spark (pulled lead and put plug on end of it so I could see).
    Anyone able to look at this log and see if I'm missing something?

The other weird thing is I have some faults which I don't think I should have.

P0122 - The ECM detects that the TP sensor 1 voltage is less than 0.325 volt for more than 200 milliseconds
    -I have not seen the voltage drop to this level. It sits around 3.6V and goes to 0.8V with pedal fully pressed.

P0223 - The ECM detects that the TP sensor 2 voltage is more than 4.59 volts for more than 200 milliseconds
    - This also does not happen as far as I can see. It sits around 1.1V and goes to around 4.2V with the pedal fully pressed.

P2122 - The ECM detects that the APP sensor 1 voltage is less than 0.325 volt for more than 0.4 second
    Again, I have not seen this ever happen, it never goes below 0.9V, it normally sits on 1V and goes to 4.1V when pedal fully pressed.

I can verify this by moving very slowly through the log, none of the above conditions have ever been met on any of the log files, if I clear DTC's, and read DTC's 10 seconds later, they're still there.
    Why would this be happening? Or am I interpreting this wrong and reading the wrong sensors?

I have a VZ SS which has the L98 with the E38 ECU and the voltages are very similar. I have also compared the APP and TB voltages at idle and WOT on a VF SS and between all 3, they are all very similar which is what is throwing me off the most as there are no faults in the other two vehicles I compared to with the same voltages.

Thanks
    Last edited by ben_att; 08-06-2022 at 02:29 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Can VATS not being disabled properly block spark or does it block fuel only or both? Looks like I have everything needed to run except spark.
    I have ign voltage to the coils but I?m guessing no trigger from the ECU.

Potential Tuner
    Well scrap the VATS theory I think. I swapped the ECU into a running VF LS3 as it is with the VATS disabled and the vin number obviously didn?t match the car I fitted it to, I plugged it in and pressed start and it started and ran which surprised me as I didn?t think the BCM would send the start signal to the ECU having a different VIN. So Im guessing that is not the problem.

Potential Tuner
    Well, not much advice here, however in case someone else comes across the same thing, I wasn't expecting this as the motor came from a running vehicle, but all 8 injectors were stuck closed. Went around one by one applying voltage to each one (initially made no noise, just a small arc on the wires) until they starting ticking, took a good minute of hitting them with 12V on and off to get them to free each one. All the faults that it was throwing were not valid as once it started, I didn't have any issues with the TB or APP.