Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unable to connect to VCM

Quote Originally Posted by foff667
    Your going to need to have the PCM programmed by a dealer with a tech 2 so that you have a valid vin #
    Probably cheaper & easier to go to Autozone & buy a reman for $100 & use this one for a core.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by foff667
    Did you check the manage drivers window like it shows on that page to see if it recognizes both A & B?

no i could not find the device manager page either. I have looked in my control panel like it says and there is nothing in there.

i am not sure if its recognizes either or both

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by rfatt16
    no i could not find the device manager page either. I have looked in my control panel like it says and there is nothing in there.

i am not sure if its recognizes either or both
    IMPORTANT! You should be prompted to repeat the driver install for "MPVI Channel B".
    Repeat the above process for channel B. This is normal as our interface uses a dual channel USB interface.
    Once the drivers have finished installing, you can remove the CD from the drive.

After a successful installation you MUST see the "HP Tuners MPVI Channel A" and "HP Tuners MPVI Channel B" shown in the Windows Device Manager, under the Universal Serial Bus controller menu.
    If you do not see both channels installed the interface will not function correctly.

For those machines that refuse to load the correct USB drivers here is what you can try to fix the issue:

Plug the MPVI interface in, go to the control panel, device drivers, expand the USB section.

The drivers should be on the CD or you can always download the latest drivers from here: www.hptuners.com/pub/HPT_MPVI_Drivers.zip.

Steps:
    1. If FTDI A,B are seen and not HP Tuners MPVI Channel A, B, right click on FTDI A and uninstall. Do the same for FTDI B.
    2. Unplug the MPVI.
    3. Unzip the USB driver files (if you downloaded them).
    4. Plug the MPVI back in.
    5. This time when Windows finds a new device, manually select the drivers in the unzipped folder or CD.
    If Windows refuses to load the correct drivers, repeat step 1 but this time do not unplug the MPVI. Right click on whatever drivers Windows installed for the MPVI and select "Update Driver". Now direct Windows to the folder or CD where the drivers are.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    That all looks good but i can not find the device manager anywhere. So i can not look to see if its able to regognize them.

I think i am done messing with this, i am not real computer lit. and don't have the patience for things i do not understand and get pissed real quick. I will buy a new cd or have the original owner find it and send it to me.

Thanks for the help

If there is anyone in the Seattle area that knows these real well and wants to lend a hand let me know i would appreicate it.
    Last edited by rfatt16; 01-19-2007 at 02:18 PM.

The parts house says their VCM flash unit requires programming specific to the vehicle before install. Does this also require a Tech 2 or can HPT do this?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    To pull up your device manager just right click on the My Computer icon-Manage-Device manager
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    I tried to start the VCm editor and i got the vehicle lics. info failed to load and it gives me 3 things i can do. I'll check my device manager now to see if it loaded the usb stuff

Tuner in Training
    I got to the found new hardware install page but it then gave me a can not install because it can find necessary software
    also the usb in the device manager is not seeing either A or B channel
    Last edited by rfatt16; 01-19-2007 at 02:43 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by V8 Supra Builder
    Did the infolog, here are the results (serial and application numbers removed)

VIN: ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ
    VCM ID: 0J0CFZ6346 <---- This does not look legit
    BCC: ????
    ECM Seg 1 ID: 0
    ECM Seg 2 ID: 0
    ECM Seg 3 ID: 0
    ECM Seg 4 ID: 0
    ECM Seg 5 ID: 0
    ECM Seg 6 ID: 0
    ECM Seg 7 ID: 0
    ECM Seg 8 ID: 0
    ECM Seed: 0

Thats a bunch of corrupt data. Looks like there is something wrong with the data line wiring or ground.

I verified continuity from the purple wire at the OBD port to the VCM connector, as well as power and grounds at the OBD port and the VCM. All ground leads were soldered to ring terminals and attached to bare metal on the body of the car (paint sanded away). All connections are via weatherpack connectors. The VCM is supplied via a new fuse panel that has a direct draw from the alternator/battery junction. The pink VCM/engine leads are switched, and the orange VCM and OBD port leads are constant battery voltage. The HPT did read that the voltage is 12.2. The car has a brand new battery and I charged it for two days prior to hooking up the HPT. Both battery cables are in excellent shape.

I clipped the tan #9 wire at the OBD port since this went nowhere other than the VCM and this made no difference.

At this point, I have no way to use a Tech 2 on the car (it won't run, and my GM dealers don't make garage calls), so my only alternative is to replace the VCM.

I still need to know before I spend even more money if the parts house computers that need to be flashed can be flashed using HPT or if only the magical Tech 2 can do this. If so, I need to pick up a VCM from a running car.

You need to have a dealer reflash your pcm so you have a valid vin.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith@HPTuners
    You need to have a dealer reflash your pcm so you have a valid vin.

You talking to me? Why would i have to do that. This car has already had a HPT tune on it before. Also i am trying to tune it back to original anyway.

OK, thanks for the answer. The dealer is not a possibility.

It will be cheaper to buy a used one from a known good vehicle than to pay to have the car towed to a dealer and then try and make them understand that my 1988 Toyota really does have a Chevy V8 motor in it and I need the computer reflashed.

These are the same people that charged the company I worked for $750 to "fix" a hard start problem on a 2003 Impala by replacing the fuel pump, and the same problem existed after the "repair".

I'd get the same response if I took my Chevy powered Chevy vehicle there, since the engine is on the "wrong" end of the car .

Quote Originally Posted by rfatt16
    You talking to me? Why would i have to do that. This car has already had a HPT tune on it before. Also i am trying to tune it back to original anyway.
    He was replying to me.

I just want to end this thread on a positive note by saying that Keith has offered to inspect the PCM for me, so the HP Tuners customer service is indeed top notch.

Put a new vin in it, the read it.. whoever tuned this ECM before corrupt the checksum.. so I'm putting in a 98 f-body M6 cal in there for you.

will ship shortly.

Sweet- great to hear, looking forward to getting it back and tackling the next problem with the swap.

Thanks Keith.

My car runs (50MB video link to follow on LS1 Tech Video as soon as I can upload it).

Still can't believe it after a year and a half .

There are a lot of little bugs to work out, but I am over the hump on the project now.

Thanks a lot Keith & HP Tuners!

EDIT

Video link
    Last edited by V8 Supra Builder; 01-31-2007 at 02:56 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I'm dealing with the same issues as above. The difference is I have previously tuned this car and now it will not connect. The vehicle in question is a 2005 Cobalt SS/SC. earlier that same day I tuned a 2006 Zo6 with no connection problems whatsoever.
    Where do I go from here?

close vcm editor and vcm scanner.
    Then, delete VCM Suite.cfg in c:\program files\hp tuners\vcm suite 2

Then you should be set.