Thread: 05 5.3 btr stg 4 cam having issues starting and shuts off when in reverse

Tuner in Training

05 5.3 btr stg 4 cam having issues starting and shuts off when in reverse

Tuning my buddies 05 1500 with a BTR stage 4 cam, the truck has issues cold starting and for some reason dies after going into reverse. He recently put new heads on and that is when he started having issues. I had previously tuned the truck with the cam before the heads were installed and it ran great.

1) just based on videos of the cold start the truck is running way too rich and is pulling a ton of timing out (on warmish starts at least, i haven't had the truck when its dead cold), it will start fine if I command timing manually with the scanner.

2) The truck runs perfectly fine in drive but randomly when he puts it in reverse he will have to use the pedal to keep it from dying. looking at the logs shortly after putting the truck in reverse with no throttle the MAP reads 85+ kPa and the MAF cyl air reads way high as well, it commands -11 degrees of timing and the truck dies.

with my limited knowledge, and the fact that the issue developed after the heads were installed. I am leaning towards an air leak that developed from the removal and install of the intake, or faulty sensors.

To be perfectly honest, this truck has been tuned with hours of research in forums and guesswork based on that research as I am not super experienced. However, I have tuned a couple other cammed trucks with the same methods and those rigs have no issues at all.

The tune file is currently on a different laptop but I do have a log of the reverse issue attached.
    park reverse issue.hpl

any assistance would be greatly appreciated as I am at a loss on this one.

I would check for a vac leak of Valvetrain problem, cam shouldn’t be at 85+ kpa

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C