Thread: Virtual Torque Questions

Tuner in Training

Question Virtual Torque Questions

Finally got around to tuning my virtual torque tables. 6l80 - FTI 3600 Triple Disk. Car made 620whp/560wtq LS2, BTR STG 4, Novi 1500. A few questions. Prior to tuning the VT the car shifted hard, and got up to temp quickly, 190F max. Would VT tuning for the power output cause softer shifts and lower temps? Is it slipping less with correct calculations? On my drive home it never temp reached 145F when normally it would be 170+. Uploading my engine cal and trans tune. My latest only has the engine cal. If this sounds like an issue, someone smarter than me chime in please. I can grab a log if needed.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    Will need an adapt reset after playing with virtual torque.

Shouldn't be slipping at all.

A log with low, mid and WOT torque shifts would be ideal. At a minimum have the following PID's
    Trans slip, TCC slip, TCC pressure, PCS-1 pressure, time of latest shift, commanded gear, trans engine torque.
    Right click trans slip / tcc slip / pcs-1 pressure and trans engine torque and set polling to 20Hz.

Have you got a stock tune to compare to.

Noticed a couple of things, your shift pressures for a couple of gears could come up a bit, your shift times could come down and get rid of the discrete shift torque for 2-3.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by hjtrbo View Post
    Will need an adapt reset after playing with virtual torque.

Shouldn't be slipping at all.

A log with low, mid and WOT torque shifts would be ideal. At a minimum have the following PID's
    Trans slip, TCC slip, TCC pressure, PCS-1 pressure, time of latest shift, commanded gear, trans engine torque.
    Right click trans slip / tcc slip / pcs-1 pressure and trans engine torque and set polling to 20Hz.

Have you got a stock tune to compare to.

Noticed a couple of things, your shift pressures for a couple of gears could come up a bit, your shift times could come down and get rid of the discrete shift torque for 2-3.
    It was hard to get WOT runs in. Went fishing this morning and decided to log on the way and back. First log current gear wasn't logging, fixed in the 2nd log. Any hard pull was 2nd gear into 3rd.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    You could definitely benefit from a full trans tune. Worthy your time having a good read and starting a bit of a scrapbook of handy posts.

The only thing I noticed of concern was that on a few occasions your torque converter is commanded to lock but it spends alot of time slipping. Have a play with the desired pressure to sort that out.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by hjtrbo View Post
    You could definitely benefit from a full trans tune. Worthy your time having a good read and starting a bit of a scrapbook of handy posts.

The only thing I noticed of concern was that on a few occasions your torque converter is commanded to lock but it spends alot of time slipping. Have a play with the desired pressure to sort that out.
    Start with overall pressures and tcc? I've used bluecat on it already, I know it's a good tool to get started. It is a lockup converter, but I'm kinda out of my comfort zone with the trabs tuning.