Thread: 2018 L86 Fuel Trims Help

Tuner in Training

2018 L86 Fuel Trims Help

I have a 2018 L86 with a 10L80 in a Wrangler. I'm new to tuning modern cars, so bear with me.

When I drive around, my LTFT seems to jump around quite a bit. When I stop at a red light, they will jump as high as +30%, then they seem to mellow out while I sit there. When I drive around on city streets between 30-55MPH, they seem to be ok, but maybe a little high into -% range.

I have attempted to calibrate my MAF with LTFT + STFT (math) method but it just seems that every time I fix one area of the logs another area gets messed up. I will likely buy a WB in the near future, but trying to get this thing a little more driveable right now without worrying about screwing anything up.

I've attached a short drive and my current tune. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

LTFT Help.hpl2018-L86- help.hpt
    Last edited by CerealKiller19; 07-22-2022 at 06:42 PM.

What's your air intake setup like?

I doubt you were able to use the stock airbox on this. If the tube size differs from the stock airbox, I could see this happening. Also if you aren't running a very steady fuel pressure.

I can see that you are basically unable to control air intake temps either, I'd really want to get a handle on those. You are seeing 170+ degrees at idle and even driving around it's way above 120-130 degrees. It can be 90-100 degrees out here and my intake temps will only be 10 degrees above ambient while driving and they take much longer to rise with where the stock airbox is pulling air from on my truck.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    The air intake has a 90 right off the TB and then an intake tube that goes over to a similar area of the stock airbox, but has a K&N filter on the end of it. Not much room to work with as far as moving it around. The intake tube is the same diameter as the stock L86, but has to be flattened out some to fit between the engine and the radiator fan.

I'm in Dallas so it's hot as hell right now. I'm not sure there is much I can do about the air temps due to the tight fit though.

Tuning Addict
    This will help you get things dialed in. You can fine tune using density multiplier for the high temps or figure out a way to pull in cooler air and by using VE.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner in Training
    Thanks! I'll give that a shot. Going to do some research and see what those setting do also.

Once I'm back from vacation I'm likely going to look for a different area to route the air intake and snag a WB and see if I can dial this thing in.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    What's your air intake setup like?

I doubt you were able to use the stock airbox on this. If the tube size differs from the stock airbox, I could see this happening. Also if you aren't running a very steady fuel pressure.

I can see that you are basically unable to control air intake temps either, I'd really want to get a handle on those. You are seeing 170+ degrees at idle and even driving around it's way above 120-130 degrees. It can be 90-100 degrees out here and my intake temps will only be 10 degrees above ambient while driving and they take much longer to rise with where the stock airbox is pulling air from on my truck.
    nailed it. the aftermarket tube is a larger diameter than stock and it makes it do that. Mine would max out, and it would then idle low and the exhaust sounded different... i forgot, but if you search for my post, i took out 10% to start and then fine tuned it with the wideband. there is a video i linked from youtube in the thread.
    clint

Tuner in Training
    I have been subscribed to Goat Rope Garage for a while. I used that video you posted to get it dialed in. I ended up buying a wideband to get it fixed up. Everything is good other than when the A/C is running it's running like crap.