Thread: startup tune needed

Tuner in Training

startup tune needed

ok, what I have is a compilation of a few different things.

Here goes:

2006 aluminum 5.3 block (DOD/VVT deleted and ports blocked off)
    2002 5.3 crankshaft
    gen 4 connecting rods
    Summit PRO LS forged pistons
    Elgin E1839P camshaft (575/575 112LSA)
    706 heads with 2" intake valves milled .030 and PAC 1218 beehive valve springs
    Stock truck intake with stock fuel rail and stock injectors.

Plan to run up/forward turbo headers.
    Transmission is a powerglide.

I have already purchased a trimmed down harness and 0411 PCM that is supposed to be VATS deleted.
    Throttle body is DBC not DBW.

I have a 24x crank sensor with 24x reluctor wheel, already have a 1x cam sensor in the front timing cover (LS2 style).

I plan to run an electric water pump and electric fans on switches since it is for a race truck (1996 S10).

What I am looking for is the startup tune so I can warm up the engine and make sure
    I have good oil pressure before I move it anywhere or let anyone else mess with it.
    But here is the wrinkle in all of this: I want it on speed density because of limited under hood space instead of mass air.
    I want to start tuning it myself and only plan to run the engine to 6500 RPM.
    I am installing a shift controller and electric shift solenoid to activate at 6200 to keep things safe,
    and the transmission will have a two step installed between the ECU and the engine for the transbrake/burnouts.

My questions are as follows
    How do I "import a tune" if someone sends me one or I find one in the repository?
    Has anyone done a similar/identical build and what kind of power did it make?

The goal of the truck is to run 9.00 in the 1/8th or as close to a half number as I can get it (8.50, 8.00, 7.50 etc..)

Any help would be appreciated.
    The engine will hopefully be all put back together next weekend along with fuel system and getting the ECU/harness installed into the truck.
    I do have a truck intake with stock throttle body and stock injectors to get it started. I also have a set of decapped injectors in the event I run into lean fueling conditions.

If someone sent you tune file it would need/want to be the file you send them in the first place, that way when they send it back it will have the changes made to your file and not someone else's file. Thus never requiring you to flash someones tune to your truck and not worrying about bricking your computer if something didn't jive correctly. Also means you only spend credits once.

The tune repository only has stock files now, so those won't do you any good.

The stock 25lb/hr injectors are fine to start it with but they will not be big enough, no way around this. Throw those stock decapped injectors in the trash and get injectors with data. You can't properly tune in decapped injectors because the only thing you would know is the flow rate, all of the other injector characterization data would be wrong. There are plenty of stock drop in injectors that would work. The 8.1 trucks use 31lb/hr and the flex fuel trucks use 33lb/hr injectors.

Also make sure the fuel system is up to task, needs to maintain 58psi of fuel pressure.

The speed density tune start up should be pretty simple if you already have a separate IAT sensor wired in.

I would start by applying the 1 bar speed density enhanced OS upgrade under the OS tab. This will require a write entire the first time you apply and just regular write calibrations afterwards.

Fail the MAF sensor in the engine diag tab. Set it to 0hz and then change the 3 MAF dtc's to MIL on first error. Also in the DTC's page turn off everything else you aren't using. Like EGR, EVAP, rear o2 sensors, cat codes etc etc etc, set them all to no error reported with the SES box unchecked.

Then bump the idle rpm up to 700-750 at operating temps, add a little bit of base running airflow too.

Lower the over/underspeed spark correction tables to around +/- 8 degrees of timing and shoot for 20ish degrees of idle timing.

With those changes it should start up and run okay.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks. Once I get in and get everything hooked up to be able to pull the tune off the computer, I will add it to the original post. I appreciate the response. For some reason I was not notified like I used to be.