Thread: why do oem ve tables have peaks and valley's

Tuner in Training

why do oem ve tables have peaks and valley's

i can't help but wonder... what was the oem strategy for having peaks and valleys built into the main ve tables. im also curious as to why near peak torque in the power band they have numbers over 100.
    i have only worked with drive by wire truck files with auto transmission,, maybe other platforms have smoother tables but i have to imagine that it may have a specific reason for doing so

A lot of it has to do with emissions and engine safety. More fuel at peak torque is an easy way to make the engine last forever at anytime of day and anytime of year. Then less fuel is needed at normal driving area's.

Not many stock calibrations go over 100, most are up there around 95-99 though. The engine size matters too. Of the many 5.3 files I have from the mid 2000's they all peak around 95.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Just to add to the above post, different intake manifold designs (especially older stuff like the 92-97 lt1) can have some weird looking ve tables.