Thread: Cold Start Issues!

Advanced Tuner

Cold Start Issues!

So having a tough time with the cold startup on this car. 1998 Trans Am 5.7 (FAST 92 intake manifold, 92mm throttle body, Summit 8715R1 camshaft (222/234, .600/.575, 115+3), 36lb/hr injectors, racetronix fuel pump w/ wire kit, 3600 stall converter)

Here is the tune file > Current File.hpt

Here is the cold start with warm up idle > Cold Startup with idle warmup.hpl

Here is the warm start > Warm Startup.hpl

As you will see if the cold start log file, the start up is terrible. But what I notice is that the Idle Startup Airflow immediately once it does fire up, then once the Idle Startup Airflow is at zero the STIT starts adding a ton of airflow, then once idle is stable the STIT immediately starts removing. IAC starts at 158 before cranking, then jumps up to 310 when the STIT starts adding all the airflow, then tapers back down to low 100s until full warmed up temperature it gets down to 80 in the warm start log file. I see that the Idle Adapts is wanting around 2 g/s once the idle is stable across the whole board. But should I increase the throttle body set screw before increasing the base running airflow table?

Tuner in Training
    I am new to this, but when I compared mine, I noticed your firing order was not the same. It should be 1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3, yours is 3-1-8-7-2-6-5-4, not sure if it is a 98pcm thing. Also your IAC reset position is set to 160, mine is 310. Also with the 92mm TB you need to change the ETC Area Scalar for that size.

- Mostplus 36lb/hr Fuel Injectors (0280155737 / 0280155868)
    Oh dear.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by NBMY2KTA View Post
    I am new to this, but when I compared mine, I noticed your firing order was not the same. It should be 1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3, yours is 3-1-8-7-2-6-5-4, not sure if it is a 98pcm thing. Also your IAC reset position is set to 160, mine is 310. Also with the 92mm TB you need to change the ETC Area Scalar for that size.
    NBMY2KTA,
    Firing order and IAC reset position are stock values for this vehicle. ETC Area Scalar is for ETC fitted vehicle only, didn't believe that it needed to be adjusted for cable drive throttle bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Oh dear.
    blindsquirrel,
    I know! Do you believe they are the cause for my troubles, that I am having for cold starts?

I think that until it's got quality injectors with real data, it would be, let's say 'unproductive', to go chasing after everything else. Kinda like fixing the cracked plaster walls in a house before having the foundation inspected.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you for the clarification. I have a lot to learn.

Advanced Tuner
    Mark
    Here is a channels list and hope you find it useful.
    Attached Files Attached Files