Thread: Scaled Injector Data hurting reported torque, issues shifting

Tuner

Scaled Injector Data hurting reported torque, issues shifting

Hi folks,

Tuning a big power CTSV A8, return style fuel system twin turbo build on flex fuel, with FIC 1650 injectors that required scaling injector flow rate data. I haven't tuned this enormous size of injectors before, but not my first time scaling. Anyhow, the previous base tune had injector flow rate vs. pressure just maxed out at 127lb/hr, and stoich values scaled. I updated the injector data to be accurate per FIC 1650 injector data tables, and used scaled 50% for flow rate vs. pressure, brought stoich table back to unscaled and calibrated the MAF again. I also scaled spark, and torque based tables for the trans. Fueling is decently dialed now with the MAF, BUT my reported torque is so low that it's affecting trans shifting severely. I tried scaling even further the torque based tables for the trans with no positive results yet.

My point is I would like to keep the 50% scaled injector flow data as I currently have it since I know it's accurate based on FIC 1650 injector data table, but fix the torque calculations or get them close to be able to get this thing to shift again, without completely hacking the injector data as it was previously, and keeping my MAF data as close to intact as possible.

So based on all this:
    1. Could I DOUBLE the stoich table now and DOUBLE the MAF curve, and possibly keep my same current fueling but now report more torque?
    2. What else can I attempt to scale to bring back my reported torque higher without messing up fueling and redoing the whole thing all over.
    3. Any other torque tables that I might be missing to scale on either engine or trans side that can affect trans shifting?

Reference tunes attached.
    Last edited by turabo87; 07-28-2022 at 10:23 AM.

Senior Tuner
    if u scale the IFR u have to do the stoich as well thats the whole idea as it cancels itself out and allows more flow, if u just do it that way the torque and airflow should stay good, if u dont then the airflow is out and u will have to adjust all tables that use torque and airmass

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 07GTS View Post
    if u scale the IFR u have to do the stoich as well thats the whole idea as it cancels itself out and allows more flow, if u just do it that way the torque and airflow should stay good, if u dont then the airflow is out and u will have to adjust all tables that use torque and airmass
    Yea, I think then to preserve most of my current MAF fueling, which is decently accurate now, I'm going to double the stoich and double the entire MAF curve, I believe they should cancel themselves out for the most part, and undo the 2X scaling of the spark tables I previously did. That should roughly double my reported airmass and therefore reported torque. Am I missing something? I just would like to impact fueling the least amount as of my last tune, because the fueling is pretty good now finally. And what about IVT terms? Leave as is for now?

Senior Tuner
    if u double stoich u have to halve IVT terms, the stoich/IFR/IVT terms way is good because it dosnt affect the airflow so most of your maf vve timing will be good, best to go back to that way

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 07GTS View Post
    if u double stoich u have to halve IVT terms, the stoich/IFR/IVT terms way is good because it dosnt affect the airflow so most of your maf vve timing will be good, best to go back to that way
    Right, but I want to double my airflow calculations now while keeping my current fueling. So shouldn't I double my MAF and double my stoich, and leave IVT as is, and hopefully fueling remains the same just with a higher reported airmass and therefore torque calculations?

But in the file I looked at, you didn't touch the Stoich or IVT tables at all, only the flow rate.

Senior Tuner
    if u go back to before u make the scaling adjustments and set the injectors flow rate halved and then double stoich and halve IVT and then that will fix everything and keep torque and airmass where it should be