Thread: 15 charger cammed ve tune

Advanced Tuner

15 charger cammed ve tune

I have a 15 5.7 Charger I'm trying to VE tune. Originally, it was tuned using the ANN set up but I never could get it to drive right. When stopping or driving real slow like creeping through a parking lot the car would buck. Enough where it would be annoying to drive at times. I figured let's give VE tuning a shot. Right away it ran better. Very minimal issues if any at all but after about 5-10 minutes of driving the idle was all over the place and it would die. Start it up and drive it again and it's fine for a bit and then it's dying all over again. Any ideas?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner
    Try this...but honestly, your tune looks pretty good overall...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2016 Ram CCSB Forged NA 396ci Stroker
    +1.5cc Flat top Mahle Power-Pak Forged Pistons w/13.2/1 CR on E85
    Forged Manley 4.05" Stroke Crank
    Race Ported Eagles/Titanium 2.10"/Titanium 1.62" Valves
    Self-Designed Custom Grind 236/249 .629/.629 111LSA 110ICL+1Adv
    Ported Holley Hi-Ram Intake/NXpress Hi-Ram NO2 Plate kit w/250 Shot(4 sec)
    Tx Spd 2" Prim LT Headers/Active Viper Hood/2-Step Launch
    ATI SD w/15% UD/Hellcat Pump/Demon 700cc Inj
    Edge Pro Conv w/3800 stall/Det Tru-Trac/410 Gears

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks, that makes me feel a bit better. If you have a minute can you explain the changes you made. I'd like to understand it a bit more. Looks like you lowered the idle a hair which makes me think it'll die easier. If the idle was more steady I think the lower idle will allow the cam to chop a bit more.
    I see you really bumped up the base friction table in the Torque Model. That makes sense but I've never seen it that high before.
    Anything else of note? Really appreciate the help

Tuner
    Hi Jason... The friction base, the slight idle adjustment, and a couple of your spark tables were 3 of the 4 main changes I had made...But the most important change I think was to your VE tables. I redid both. The main problem in your VE tables is just smoothing the values out a bit in areas where you had larger deviation between values in side by side cells. You want to use the input values that you log to create a visible pattern and then smooth those values out so that everything flows nicely. Your VE tables might even be the biggest factor in regards to your bucking/surging issues. But my intent with the adjusted tune was mostly for you to just try out the changes and see if the friction base adjustment, along with the smoother VE tables had made any kind of improvement to your buck/surge issue. And the idle adjustment should actually improve the chop and as far as stability with the idle, once you have the friction base just right and then surging under control, youll have better control of your idle, and be able to set base idle in the 750-800 range. I have my stage 3 (223/232, .582 lift) base idle set and under control just under 700, and was able to improve the chop quality with going from then 800's to the 700's and am currently running the exact same friction table i had put in your tune. I sent that focusing really on just friction base but there were a couple areas in your tune I wanted to ask about. But Ill wait to ask those after hearing back from you on the changes that have already been made.
    2016 Ram CCSB Forged NA 396ci Stroker
    +1.5cc Flat top Mahle Power-Pak Forged Pistons w/13.2/1 CR on E85
    Forged Manley 4.05" Stroke Crank
    Race Ported Eagles/Titanium 2.10"/Titanium 1.62" Valves
    Self-Designed Custom Grind 236/249 .629/.629 111LSA 110ICL+1Adv
    Ported Holley Hi-Ram Intake/NXpress Hi-Ram NO2 Plate kit w/250 Shot(4 sec)
    Tx Spd 2" Prim LT Headers/Active Viper Hood/2-Step Launch
    ATI SD w/15% UD/Hellcat Pump/Demon 700cc Inj
    Edge Pro Conv w/3800 stall/Det Tru-Trac/410 Gears

Advanced Tuner
    I really appreciate the time and effort you put in to explaining this. I was trying to tune the VE off the long and short term fuel trim but it seems like they are all over the place sometimes. The only surging I was getting was at idle really. I think I'll hook up a wide band to it and turn off the fuel trims and tune it cell by cell.