Thread: Failing PCM - need migrate tune and credits to new PCM

Potential Tuner

Question Failing PCM - need migrate tune and credits to new PCM

I have a failing PCM and I am not able to find a process that will unmarry the tune and credits from the failing PCM to allow me to migrate the credits and tune to the new PCM. I have no problem sending both PCMs off to HP Tuners or what ever process the have in place that will allow migration of my credits and tune to the new PCM. Has anyone had to go through this process or know the procedure to make this happen?

I understand the PCM serial number locking for tune and credits to avoid people abusing the tuning process. Electronics fail and there should be a procedure in place that supports the removal and migration of credits and tune when that happens.

Advanced Tuner
    what did support say when you emialed em?

Potential Tuner
    My ticket for it is in there queue to be worked. I am waiting for reply from them.

Potential Tuner
    From James Edwards (HP Tuners)

The tune and credits can not be transferred over. You will need to pull a new stock read from the new PCM.
    Send that stock read to the tuner so they can create a tune from that file and send back to you.
    Then you will need to re license/credit that new tune.

Licenses consist of three pieces of information. They tie in VIN, Serial Number and OS. If you change any of this information you will break the license and have to license the new combination of information you created. You will need to hold a license for the file you are writing as well as the vehicle you are writing to.

Advanced Tuner
    take it out daddy... it hurts

Potential Tuner
    LMAO!! Just have to take the extra cost! It comes with the ups and downs of modifications to get the horse power!

Senior Tuner
    Have you already got a new PCM programmed for your vin or the same vin?

I have customers ask me often especially in swaps if I can put their say 04 tune into a new 06 computer.. and stuff like that just doesn't work that way. If your not starting with the same OS your going to be starting over on the tune.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Potential Tuner
    I know that the the new PCM needs to be programed with the vin. Then the stock tune needs to be pulled from the new pcm. Then apply the tune changes to that new stock tune file before it is written back to the PCM.

My issue has to with managing my credits and HP Tuners licensing model and credits. I was hoping not to have to throw away the money I spent on credits for less than 1k miles on a tune. Sometimes electronics fail and need to be replaced. If the PCM fails and needs to be replaced HP Tuners license model requires to pay for credits again to tune the replaced PCM. I already talked to HP Tuner support via email and my only option is to pay for new credits to tune the replacement PCM.

Advanced Tuner
    what is cheaper...

coming up with a way to change serial numbers or paying the rapist?

its $99.99 for credits, it would probably cost more than that for shipping both ways and labor to swap credits if they even offered that type of service.

www.n2speed.com
    http://www.amp4x4.com
    [email protected]

Dodge And GM Tuning Suppport
    Diablosport CMR | HP Tuners

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    2000 Dakota R/T
    gt45
    42lb
    honda map
    8psi

Quote Originally Posted by N2speed View Post
    its $99.99 for credits, it would probably cost more than that for shipping both ways and labor to swap credits if they even offered that type of service.
    do you know a way to change the speedo calibration on jtec+????????/
    2000 Dakota R/T
    gt45
    42lb
    honda map
    8psi

Do you have a copy of the tune file you can send me?

www.n2speed.com
    http://www.amp4x4.com
    [email protected]

Dodge And GM Tuning Suppport
    Diablosport CMR | HP Tuners

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by jbliss15 View Post
    do you know a way to change the speedo calibration on jtec+????????/
    You adjust speedo in the ABS module on the Jtec/+ vehicles. A factory or high end scan tool is required. You set rotations per mile and tone ring teeth, 8.25 vs 9.25 diffs. I don't think HP tuners added a feature to do this on the JTEC/+ vehicles, i could be wrong though.

If your local to NE Ohio I can change it for you.

Tuner in Training
    To the original post. I have a spare PCM for my 98 Durango. I changed the Vin using my snap on scanner to match the vehicle. The HP tuner software reads and writes to both under the same license. This should work for the 96-98 Jtec. I can't speak for the 99+ JTEC+ PCMs.