Thread: 04 LQ9 Swap tuning help needed.

Tuner in Training

04 LQ9 Swap tuning help needed.

New to HP Tuners- I know, another PITA noob on the scene. I've watched a lot of videos, and believe I have my tune as good as I can adjust it.

Hoping someone can look at my tune and let me know what adjustments I need to make.

04 LQ9, mild cam (unfortunately don't know the make or specs), CAI, headers, no cats. Added new radiator with electric fans, and the fans are coming on as spec'ed no issues.

Truck starts up and idles pretty good but will stumble when revving and idling back down in Park or coming to a stop in drive. It also smells really rich to me.

I just added A/C to it, but its not charged and running right now.

I have a log file I'll attach, but I'm not sure if I have all the parameters needed for someone to help with the tune.

67 C10 FansIdle.hpt

22-08-01 18-22-58.hpl

With an unknown camshaft it's still a good idea to raise the base running airflow just a little bit while you work things out.

Turn off cat over temp (COT).

Lower the over/underspeed spark correction tables spark correction tables. Try like +/- 8 to 10 degrees instead of the 30-40 swing it currently allows for.

Raise the idle spark in gear/park to around 20 just like the high octane table has in the idle area's.

The log shows that it's about 10% lean just sitting there at idle per the fuel trims. Could be from non spec fuel pressure and or the addition of the camshaft. If fuel pressure isn't 58psi or so, you'll need to get it there.

On the topic of fuel, that stock injectors won't be big enough for a 6.0 with a cam just so you know. They'll be out of steam beyond 5,000-5,400 in most cases.

You'll also need to get a wideband oxygen sensor for tuning.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    With an unknown camshaft it's still a good idea to raise the base running airflow just a little bit while you work things out.

Turn off cat over temp (COT).

Lower the over/underspeed spark correction tables spark correction tables. Try like +/- 8 to 10 degrees instead of the 30-40 swing it currently allows for.

Raise the idle spark in gear/park to around 20 just like the high octane table has in the idle area's.

The log shows that it's about 10% lean just sitting there at idle per the fuel trims. Could be from non spec fuel pressure and or the addition of the camshaft. If fuel pressure isn't 58psi or so, you'll need to get it there.

On the topic of fuel, that stock injectors won't be big enough for a 6.0 with a cam just so you know. They'll be out of steam beyond 5,000-5,400 in most cases.

You'll also need to get a wideband oxygen sensor for tuning.
    Fantastic! I really appreciate you taking the time to look everything over and give me some pointers. Unfortunately I’m not sure what has been changed on the engine, was told it’s a cam and headers. It’s possible the injectors have been changed but I have no way of knowing.

Do you have a Wideband you?d recommend?
    Last edited by dlb21964; 08-01-2022 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dlb21964 View Post
    It’s possible the injectors have been changed but I have no way of knowing.
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you might have to look at them and write down the part number marked on the side. I realize this might take as much as five minutes of your time, and involve the grueling and possibly life-threatening task of going outside to where the truck is, and opening the hood and all, but it's got to be done. Maybe it would help if you thought of it as a noble quest to distant and mysterious lands to retrieve a sacred lost artifact.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you might have to look at them and write down the part number marked on the side. I realize this might take as much as five minutes of your time, and involve the grueling and possibly life-threatening task of going outside to where the truck is, and opening the hood and all, but it's got to be done. Maybe it would help if you thought of it as a noble quest to distant and mysterious lands to retrieve a sacred lost artifact.
    You’re right-that was a stupid comment on my part and I should have gone back and re-read my post before hitting enter. Honestly I was just pretty excited to finally have HPTuners and wanted to get some feedback on my tune.
    I’m hoping you are just trying to be funny in your own way in trying to help a noob, if not thats a shame since thats what these forums are for. Then again its my fault for not picking thru my post before offering it up for all to read and possibly criticize. I keep forgetting its 2022.
    Last edited by dlb21964; 08-02-2022 at 06:37 AM.

I'm not a huge fan of emojis - looks like a pictorial version of baby talk every time I see them. I am not a monster. If anything, blame it on too much Monty Python during my formative years.

I know... Mississippi? Monty Python? I do not belong here but can't get out, I waited too long.

Senior Tuner
    I'm not a huge fan of emojis - looks like a pictorial version of baby talk every time I see them. I am not a monster. If anything, blame it on too much Monty Python during my formative years.

I know... Mississippi? Monty Python? I do not belong here but can't get out, I waited too long.
    Are you saying it has nothing to do with people coming on here who want help but aren't willing to do anything to help themselves?

Tuner in Training

Well we are in luck then. I love Monty Python. Definitely had to have a warped sense of humor to enjoy that show, so I’m in good company.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
    Are you saying it has nothing to do with people coming on here who want help but aren't willing to do anything to help themselves?
    I’ll be the first to agree that people asking for help should at least try to watch some videos and search the forums for help before expecting others to help.
    Most everyone in these forums started somewhere with limited knowledge or ability. Not everyone is proficient or an Einstein in tuning.
    Last edited by dlb21964; 08-02-2022 at 11:33 AM.