Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6L80 Torque Converter and Tuning

Tuner in Training

6L80 Torque Converter and Tuning

NOTE: I'll try this again. Apparently I didn't follow the instruction quite close enough after I registered yesterday and my original post never appeared on the forum. Note to self, read the instructions better. Hopefully my first post isn't being reviewed by a moderator as some forums do before allowing a new member to post.

I'm new to this forum though I have read through several posts trying to understand a few things before I joined and started asking questions. To start, I'm not a tuner nor a transmission expert. So bear that in mind if you reply as I might not understand all of the terminology. I don't insult easily so if you add something that is patently obvious I certainly won't get offended. A lot of the information below is mechanical information. But the end goal here is to see if I can't use the tuner software to both diagnose a failing torque converter and to tune it so the torque converter last the longest.

My job requires a lot of technical writing and many people get understandably frustrated in how I write what I write. In this case I'll start out with the questions and put some backup information at the end of the post.

Questions:

1.) Can tuning software be used to help diagnose a failing torque converter?

I think the design of the stock 6L80 torque converter generates too much heat during lock up. See the 'Background information below for more details. Basically I'd like to temporarily remove the lock up from all 6 gears and see if the amount of heat generated decreases. I'm trying to diagnose if my torque converter is failing. If I can come to that conclusion I'd be willing to replace it now before it causes any additional damage.

2.) What is the 'Slip' that is often discussed as being reduced or eliminated in the tuning software?

I just don't understand what this 'Slip' is referring to.

Background:

Vehicle:

- 2010 Silverado WT. 5.3 L, with 350,000 miles on it. 6L80 transmission but it does not have the 'Towing Package' so it has a 'standard' cooling system. I do not tow anything.

- Transmission was rebuilt at 197,000 miles by a very reputable shop and I chose the best rebuild available. 100,000 mile warranty and $4,300.

- Transmission failed again at 304,000 miles. Yes that's only 107,000 miles and no, I didn't get a discount on the second rebuild. I chose the basic rebuild with a 12,000 mile warranty and $2,800. (smart/stupid decision is another topic)

- I have addressed the heat issue by installing a deep transmission oil pan and a transmission cooler. I can now keep the transmission at 185 in 105 degree heat. Next 114 degree day we'll see how well it does, but i expect it will still be below 200 degrees. But I don't think that solves the problem. I 'think' there is a mechanical problem in the transmission that causes too much heat to be generated and removing the heat quicker doesn't address that 'potential' issue.

Driving Conditions/Habits

- I live in Arizona (Phoenix Area) and temperatures of 115 degrees F are not uncommon. I'm pretty sure that puts me into what manufacturers call 'Severe Duty". Transmission temperatures in the winter isn't a problem.

- I sometimes drive in the mountains and sometimes drive off road. I never tow anything.

Temperatures:

I started tracking the transmission temperatures after the first rebuild as I suspected temperatures were at least a contributing factor in the first failure.

- Before the first failure I'm was convinced that the transmission temperatures were 185 degrees all the time. But before he first failure I didn't really pay that much attention other than to see what it was from time to time. And I can't really remember if my reading of 185 degrees was during the winter or summer. So my baseline isn't terribly reliable.

- GM states that the normal operating temperatures are between 180 and 200 degrees. But what we don't know is if that includes in my 'Severe Duty'. I suspect not.

- In general running at 70 MPH in 100 degree heat would generate transmission temperatures between 200 and 210. The harder I drove it, the higher the temperature would go.

- Driving at 70 MPH in 105 and above would generate transmission temperatures between 210 and 220. Again, drive it harder and it got hotter. Kind of what you'd expect.

- Driving at 80 MPH in 100/105 caused higher transmission temperature. Driving in 115 degree temperatures created higher temperatures at both 70 and 80 MPH.

- At 70 MPH in 102 degree heat gong up a 6% grade the transmission temperature reached 235 and I stopped to cool it off.

- There are other extreme conditions that are outliers but too much information doesn't really help. My impression is that the transmission generates too much heat and I think a failure is imminent.

Transmission Design Deficiency:

- I have read that the stock 6L80 torque converter was made with a pressed steel cover. And that cover has a tendency to flex during lock up causing heat and damage to the coatings on the mating surfaces. I understand that most who want a 6L80 to last or know it will be put into 'Severe Duty' purchase an aftermarket torque converter made from billet steel to address this concern. There is a good series of videos on the 6L80 and part 2 ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeI64HjS_Xc ) goes into this defect. The third part in that series goes into tuning the 6L80 to make the torque converters last. A lot of this made sense and being it was on the internet it 'HAS TO BE TRUE'. So say so if you think I'm overthinking this whole issue. I won't get offended.

- After the second rebuild I had the transmission fluid changed at 20,000 miles and the fluid was dark and there was some metal attached to the magnet in the pan. It was changed by my mechanic. I just changed it myself after another 20,000 miles and the color was dark again and there was a build up of particles attached to the magnet. I would not have thought the fluid could get that dark in 20,000 miles and I thought the amount of metal attached to the magnet was significant. But I'm not a transmission expert. FYI - the metal attached to the magnet feels like a slimy goo (mix of ATF and metal) and although I didn't measure how thick it was, it was thick enough to measure with a set of calipers.

Tuning Software

I don't posses the tuning software/hardware though I'm not object to getting it. $500 seems a lot for testing a transmission and finally setting it up for best service life, but on a side note I'd like to test removing DoD to see wht it does to gas mileage. As I understand it the 5.3 L engine got 21 MPG before DoD was introduced and it now gets 15 MPG. FYI the 21 and 15 are real world reports from users over the years, not rated estimates. But maybe the changed something else in the engine when they changed to DoD and it'll still be 15 MPG.

1. Yes it can.

2. This article has a decent breakdown of what the converter is doing.

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2013/...ter-questions/

You'd be looking with the tuning software or any nice scan tool to see what the TCC slip is while in lock up. The torque converter while not in lock up will always show slip but that isn't a problem, it's only a big problem if the converter slips a lot when the clutch is engaged.

Also removing the DoD or just turning it off won't changed your fuel mileage that much. I saw maybe a 1mpg hit around town on and could still get 20-21 in my 2012 Silveado. My 2016 Silverado can get over 22mpg with it off on longer highway trips.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Well Thank you 5FDP,

I just spent the last hour on a video on how a torque converter works. I'm trying to understand better. I'll read the article you referenced when I get home tonight.

Does the Scan Tool/Software measures how much slip is occurring or does it just tell you what the transmission is programmed to do? I wouldn't think the transmission has speed sensors to measure the actual slip. But I really don't know that for sure.

Tuner
    The 6L80E converter has a very weak clutch.. That's usually what goes bad first sending crap all thru the trans
    There are companies out there that build/rebuild converters with a better lock up clutch. The clutch is usually locked up as
    a percentage value, so it's normal for some slip. If you rebuilt it both times with a totally stock converter, then there is
    where your issue probably is. As the clutch wears out, it gets hotter and sends crap thru the system until a complete failure
    PATC and there are lots of others that do a "better" TCC using a stock size converter. HTH

Tuner in Training
    [QUOTE=Tfoggy;695875As the clutch wears out, it gets hotter and sends crap thru the systemHTH[/QUOTE]

This is what I suspect is happening and the reason for my question. I'm trying to determine if I need to replace the torque converter now.

This may turn into a purely mechanical question and not a tuning question. Especially if I can determine that the torque converter needs replacing just based on physical observations.

Regarding what torque converters were used in each rebuild, I suspect the first, more expensive rebuild used a better torque converter and the second failure wasn't a torque converter failure but part of a piston in one of the clutches. The second less expensive rebuild almost certainly used the stock converter.

Tuner in Training
    Above I asked “ Does the Scan Tool/Software measures how much slip is occurring”. After thinking about it a bit more I think the computer could actually measure the slip as it happens. The engine certainly has a speed sensor on its output and I assume the transmission has a speed sensor on its output. Is that correct?

Senior Tuner
    Get the software and cable. All will be revealed. You'll be amazed at how easy it is.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by hjtrbo View Post
    Get the software and cable. All will be revealed. You'll be amazed at how easy it is.
    Before I posted my first question I was inclined to purchase the software/hardware for the reasons stated above. When I say this may turn into a purely mechanical issue is dependent on what I learn about the mechanics of the torque converter. I think.... that there is probably enough mechanical information to determine that the torque converter is failing without even hooking it up to the tuner software. So this post may go a little dormant while I investigate the pure mechanical side of this heat issue. I'm actively seeking a service to analyze my transmission fluid. Keep in mind I have a sample from 20,000 miles after it was rebuilt the second time and it was dark and had metal in it. I also have a sample done recently after another 25,000 miles and again it was dark and had metal in it. If I had a transmission shop I trusted I'd sit down with my samples and go through what would be the next steps. But after 2 rebuilds with my current rebuilder I'm not inclined to trust them for a straight answer.

Senior Tuner
    Just pull the pan. You'll no doubt see carneige. Buy a decent converter, get rebuild no 3, buy HPT and never look back. Cry once, buy once.

Tuner in Training
    This is really turning into more of a mechanical issue and outside of the scope of this forum. But to try to close things out I'll add the following. I really didn't see carnage. I saw dark(ish) fluid and microscopic metal shavings attached to the magnet and bottom of the pan. There were no individual pieces of 'shavings' but a mix of metal shaving small enough that when I squeezed it between two fingers it felt like I was squeezing grease between my fingers. There were no discernable pieces of metal shavings. Now there was a lot of it in my opinion for only 25,000 miles. But just by description the metal shavings I found shouldn't be a problem and could be normal. I'm testing the fluid and we'll see if the amount of metal in the fluid is above the recommended 2-5%.

The addition of the transmission cooler has cured the temperature problems. At 106 degrees ambient the transmission temperature is 185 at 85 MPH. At least I don't have to worry about damage caused by heat.

Advanced Tuner
    John the -squeezing grease between my fingers- is tell tale of converter friction material being in the fluid. It makes the fluid in the pan a sludge ish consistency. There wont be a lot of excess metal in the fluid because the failed material is not metal.

Tuner in Training
    That makes sense. The torque converter design Deficiency is that both friction surfaces are angled and the cover (made from pressed steel) flexes during lock up causing the friction surfaces to not make full contact.

It's leaning heavily towards replacing the torque converter and a pure mechanical issue.

Thanks to all who contributed to this discussion.

Senior Tuner
    And a tear down and thorough clean and inspection of the transmission and valve body. Once you see how all that shit from a 6Lxx torque converter failure is distributed throughout the trans you will understand why this step is also required. Be surprised if your pump is also not wiped out.

Tuner in Training
    Just an update on the transmission. Lab report came back normal. Less than 1/2 percent solids in both samples. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with that information. But at least I know.

I'd still like to see the amount of slip in the TCC before I commit to replacing the torque converter. Are there any scan tools that are substantially less expensive than the tuner software that can read the TCC slip?

Senior Tuner
    Yes, VCX Nano (GM Version) comes with GDS2 which is the GM dealership service tool. It will do everything that you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnm1 View Post
    Above I asked ? Does the Scan Tool/Software measures how much slip is occurring?. After thinking about it a bit more I think the computer could actually measure the slip as it happens. The engine certainly has a speed sensor on its output and I assume the transmission has a speed sensor on its output. Is that correct?
    Yes. The VCM Scanner will log the actual TCC slip RPM as well as the "Desired Slip RPM". If the slip is too high, the ECU will command more pressure to the TC clutch to try to reduce slip. You can edit the desired slip and the pressures to control the slip in the VCM Editor.

Most people with stock-ish trucks will replace the weak 6L80E TC with the OEM 6L90E TC. This basically fixes the clutch disassembly issue. I am not sure of all the differences, but the 90E TC has a higher stall RPM...but this will be cheaper than an aftermarket unit most likely (especially if you get a used one), and with supply chain being what it is these days, the wait on aftermarket converts is a long time last I checked.
    Screenshot 2022-08-09 235552.jpg
    Last edited by Cringer; 08-09-2022 at 11:59 PM.

If you're looking for a new hobby, great! Get to buying up the diagnostic tools and service manual subscriptions. You absolutely need specialized tools if you want to actually diagnose things based on evidence. Speculation and guessing and opinions are useful only after you have tools to gather the data to prove a guess or opinion right or wrong.

If you're just looking to get your truck diagnosed/fixed this one time for this one issue, take it to someone who already has the tools and knowledge and then pay them and get on with the rest of your life. If you take it to someone and they don't immediately know what data they need to diagnose a potential converter issue, kindly collect your keys and vehicle and find another shop. This is really basic stuff that any competent transmission shop solves every single day of the week.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    If you're looking for a new hobby, great! Get to buying up the diagnostic tools and service manual subscriptions. You absolutely need specialized tools if you want to actually diagnose things based on evidence. Speculation and guessing and opinions are useful only after you have tools to gather the data to prove a guess or opinion right or wrong.

If you're just looking to get your truck diagnosed/fixed this one time for this one issue, take it to someone who already has the tools and knowledge and then pay them and get on with the rest of your life. If you take it to someone and they don't immediately know what data they need to diagnose a potential converter issue, kindly collect your keys and vehicle and find another shop. This is really basic stuff that any competent transmission shop solves every single day of the week.
    Wise words that in the end I’ll probably follow. My search for information was driven by a Loss of trust with what is supposed to be the premiere rebuilder in the area. This thread has been very helpful getting to this point.

I’d like to thank those the helped out.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnm1 View Post
    Wise words that in the end I?ll probably follow. My search for information was driven by a Loss of trust with what is supposed to be the premiere rebuilder in the area. This thread has been very helpful getting to this point.

I?d like to thank those the helped out.
    I can say, being a World Class GM tech at a Chevy dealer, I deal with these 6L80s breaking every single day. GM wants them to lock up in every gear, and pulse width controls the TCC, so when going in and out of V4 to V8 and so on, its smooth and not as noticeable to the driver. That and plus the Thermostat on the cooler lines doesnt open until 192 degrees. Ive seen complete rebuilds come back needing a torque converter in 15000 miles. We get them alot in tahoes and suburbans that mostly women drive that they keep driving them after the shudder starts, wiping out the pump and usually the drum. The best thing you can do is to tune them not to lock up until 5th and 6th gear. adjust the line pressure solenoid or replace with a good aftermarket part, and youre all set. replacing the stock converter for the 6L90 is a GOOD choice, but involves changing the flywheel too. Ive personally had one return after 20000 miles for a failed converter. I check all clearances when rebuilding and air check etc. sometimes its not the builder, but the parts.

Potential Tuner
    Sorry for the hijack...but it's a year-old thread, and fits my situation exactly.

(2015 GMC Sierra Denali, 6L80, 148,000 miles.)

Bought my truck with 115,000 miles on it, and had the transmission serviced, including dropping the pan for new fluid. No issues were reported. 20,000 miles later I started to have severe low gear hunting, as well as intermittent rumble strip noises. A trip to the tranny shop revealed much shaving carnage, resulting in a complete rebuild, stem to stern, $4,500, with quality individual parts. The shop explained the problem, and indicated they see it often with the 6L80.

All was fine for several months, until it was not. Repeated but intermittent rumble strip noises kept happening. Back to the tranny shop, where they swapped out both the torque converter and the valve body techum assembly. Again, fine for several months, but the rumble strip noises (TC lock-out?) persisted, as well as some noticeable low-gear hunting.

In an out-of-state location from my tranny shop, we collaborated to find a shop that did an HPtune. All was well on the test drive, I was confident in the discussion with the HPtuner guy, and anxious to drive 800 miles back home. But, alas, while no problems occured below 50 mph, the DAMN rumble strip noises were now occurring at 55, 65, and even 75 mph...depending on rpms and terrain pitch...all the way home!

My original shop (out-of state in another direction) intends to get it right, but I am quite frustrated. Until I can bring it back to them (probably for a third torque converter!), they recommended a Motocraft product called Friction Modifier Additive. Although it appears to be helping, I am not confident how long it may last, or if it actually cures the problem.

In the above discussion, the guy asks if tuning off the lock-out on gears 1-4 works so well, why can't you do the same for 5 & 6?
    Is the proper fix to buy the beefier torque converter, or replace it with the 6L90?

First post, so thanks in advance for any opinions or advice on my dilemma.
    I love the truck, but am seriously considering a trade-in.
    Last edited by ajs67donzi; 08-20-2023 at 11:21 AM.