Thread: What do you think about that tune?

Tuner in Training

What do you think about that tune?

Hi guys,

I wanted to know, what do you think about that attached Stage 1 tune?
    The max boost I am getting is around .8 - .9 bar,
    It is for a 1.4T engine. I am running on 98 octane fuel

Thanks for your feedback in advance.
    Last edited by Chickenbreast; 09-21-2022 at 01:10 AM.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickenbreast View Post
    Hi guys,

I wanted to know, what do you think about that attached Stage 1 tune?
    The max boost I am getting is around .8 - .9 bar,
    It is for a 1.4T engine. I am running on 98 octane fuel

Thanks for your feedback in advance.

Attachment 122913
    So, I looked at it, and there are a few things I would say. First is that there is a LITTLE improvement over stock, but the VVE table hasn't been touched. That and the MAF need to be dialed in, or just the VVE table if you are running SD (MAF failed, still going into closed loop, aka 'hybrid speed-density' as some call it). Your fueling will never be on point without that set up properly. If it's stock, then yes, it could work jut fine, but if you want it efficiently making power, then you need to dial that in.

Next your PE tables are mostly the same across the board. You have the delay set to 0, which is fine, but your ramp-in/out rates are slow, so you take a little longer to reach full commanded AFR. On a stock vehicle, no problem, but with more boost ramping in, you usually want that to happen as fast as possible. When you command that AFR, you should see that AFR ASAP. So I would set that to 2.000 for both ramp in and out.

I would need to see a log to really get a good view of what is going on with your VVE STFT (basically clone the VVE table, columns and rows, and log STFT err percentage (or with your wideband: 100 * (wideband lambda - commanded eq) / commanded eq) and then use that to correct your VVE table (do the same with the MAF scaling). Then, you can tell how far your fueling is off when WOT. If you are commanding 1.200 in PE, but only seeing 1.150 in your wideband, then you DO NOT adjust your fueling with the PE table; you adjust your VVE table and/or MAF table. The VVE table is the model of air for your engine and how it flows, so getting that correct, most other fueling will follow suit.

The peak torque could come on a little sooner in my opinion. Stock cams and turbo on there don't make much power beyond 5200 -5500 rpm, so getting your peak torque to come on closer to 3k and slowly peaking out around 5k will make a nice smooth pull, but keep you in the meaty range for the turbo. Adjust the cams to advance/retard based on where you want your power makes probably the biggest difference in the feel of the car. It took me months of playing around and studying the way this system works, and was able to make MUCH more power by adjusting the cam timing.

You can make the boost come on MUCH harder by changing the pressure delta factor from 1 or whatever you have it set to just before 3k rpm, then have it go from 1.5 to 2 or so by the end. That will let the turbo spool quicker, but I actually just had mine set to 2.8 from 3k up. Pins you back in the seat. But you need to make PE come on a little sooner in the throttle, as it will get away from you with not enough fuel. Fun for perky street driving.

Driver demand is a funny one. So, you always want, for max power at WOT, your driver demand (pedal commanded torque) to be higher than your peak. So set your peak torque tables where you want them, then at the 100% row across the board, set it like, 100 lb higher than your highest. This will ensure you are telling the car to try to reach this super high demand, but it will stop and peak at the set peak torque, meaning your throttle blade won't start to close. You would do this to all 4 tables in DD, and then set your knock airmass and related tables to help keep this peak. If you ever notice during logging that your throttle blade is closing, log all of your torque-related PIDs, and see which one is lower than your commanded, and up that. It's likely the cause of your throttle closing, and not getting all of the power you are asking. Check the help section; there is a really good writeup on this topic (how torque based ECMs work and how they calculate all of that), and it specifically uses the E78 as an example. Little tip, think of torque as air. That is basically how the computer quantifies it's torque; based on the amount of air it thinks it can flow via the VVE table, and what it's measuring vs what you want. Air makes power. Everything else is there to support the amount of air you are putting in the engine.
    "Insert some inspirational or smart*** quote here..." - Some Dude
    software_engineer.net_sec.linux_hero
    www.dusette.net
    RoninDusette@github