Thread: 6L80 temperature question

Tuner

6L80 temperature question

Was driving my truck yesterday and noticed the temps on the trans would climb quickly if in 5th or 6th gear and getting on it. Also seems to do it when you take off hard. is this normal? Only gets up to around 180 at the max, in the heat. I have the bypass on the valve and a new condenser and lines. Truck is modified with cam, but new stock converter. I dont notice any slipping or trans acting funny, so Ill assume thats normal? I can post the tune if needed.

thanks !

Tuner
    heres my tune if someone would like to look it over. I think my torque converter may be starting to die. going to check the fluid here shortly.

latest82.hpt
    Last edited by Estep40511; 08-02-2022 at 09:04 AM.

Log showing converter slip and TCC status would be useful, the tune file less so.

In theory, since the vast majority of heat in an auto trans comes from the converter doing its convertery-type business, heat should be least any time the converter is locked. If temp goes up when the converter should be locked, it's almost certain that the TCC is slipping, because there should be no other real source for heat input.

Tuner in Training
    GM indicates the normal operating range for a 6L80 transmission (without thermostat) is 180-200 degrees.

I wont be able to help with your tune, but I've been monitoring transmission temperatures for over a year. Here are some basic observations

Higher speed = higher temperatures

Changing gears adds heat rapidly

Changing gears at high speed adds heat more rapidly

Stop and go traffic adds heat

Without a transmission cooler the heat takes time to dissipate once you rea h a steady speed. With a transmission cooler the heat dissipates quickly.

I'm learning that the stock torque converters are poorly designed and are the usual source of transmission failure in the 6L80.

This is a link to part 2 of a 3 part series that I found very informative about the torque converter and the 6L80 in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeI64HjS_Xc

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Log showing converter slip and TCC status would be useful, the tune file less so.

In theory, since the vast majority of heat in an auto trans comes from the converter doing its convertery-type business, heat should be least any time the converter is locked. If temp goes up when the converter should be locked, it's almost certain that the TCC is slipping, because there should be no other real source for heat input.

heres the last log I took showing TCC slip and pressure etc. its a bit lengthy but it shows it. Just curious if I can adjust tune, or if indeed its the converter dying on me. thanks in advance

22-07-27 18-30-09.hpl

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnm1 View Post
    GM indicates the normal operating range for a 6L80 transmission (without thermostat) is 180-200 degrees.

I wont be able to help with your tune, but I've been monitoring transmission temperatures for over a year. Here are some basic observations

Higher speed = higher temperatures

Changing gears adds heat rapidly

Changing gears at high speed adds heat more rapidly

Stop and go traffic adds heat

Without a transmission cooler the heat takes time to dissipate once you rea h a steady speed. With a transmission cooler the heat dissipates quickly.

I'm learning that the stock torque converters are poorly designed and are the usual source of transmission failure in the 6L80.

This is a link to part 2 of a 3 part series that I found very informative about the torque converter and the 6L80 in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeI64HjS_Xc

Yes I deal with the stock ones everyday. Im a world class tech for GM at a Chevy dealership. The converters on stock applications fail because they are designed to lock up in every gear after 2014. They are pulse width controlled, even on the 8L90 and so on. the new redesigned trans cooler lines have an updated thermostat valve that opens at 140 instead of 192. I have seen a LOT of failed units because that valve didnt open or was stuck. Im thinking on mine, my converter is slowly starting to die. Usually on the stock trucks, youd start to get a shudder. Im not getting that, so it confused me.

If I beat on my truck it takes no time to go from 130-140 degrees and be at 190-200 degrees. I hot lapped my truck at the 1/8th mile track 2 years ago and after 3 passes I was at 195 degrees. Pretty much stayed there even after another 4 passes in 80-90 degree heat.

But my transmission temps stay pretty low in 5th and 6th gear. It was 85-90 degrees outside this past Saturday and on the 100 mile drive home it took over 30 minutes just to get over 140 degree transmission temps.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.