Thread: Simos 8.5 A8L Layouts

Potential Tuner

Question Simos 8.5 A8L Layouts

Hey all, I'm mostly lurking around gathering research however do any of you have or recommended any Simos 8.5 log layouts? Fairly new to the 3.0T & ZF8 side of Audi. I'm in the process of tuning my bone stock A8L, 3.0T. The trans tune is fairly basic with higher rev limits through the OSS aggression maps, and I'm slowly piecing together a engine calibration, just battling issues with knock at redline. Any pointers? Thanks in advance.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldEaglePerformanceLLC View Post
    Hey all, I'm mostly lurking around gathering research however do any of you have or recommended any Simos 8.5 log layouts? Fairly new to the 3.0T & ZF8 side of Audi. I'm in the process of tuning my bone stock A8L, 3.0T. The trans tune is fairly basic with higher rev limits through the OSS aggression maps, and I'm slowly piecing together a engine calibration, just battling issues with knock at redline. Any pointers? Thanks in advance.
    I'm not an expert in the area but since this side of the forum is dead Ill offer you my opinion.

Theres things that you can do to get knock down like e85 blends, or getting your cooling upgraded so your temps are down also methanol too. Assuming that your car is healthy its very possible the knock is from low quality fuel, ive experienced that too. the higher the octane the better. My tuner always told me that if knock is low then you can add more power safely.

I'm sure someone could elaborate much better than I could but I hope that helps

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by boostboy View Post
    I'm not an expert in the area but since this side of the forum is dead Ill offer you my opinion.

Theres things that you can do to get knock down like e85 blends, or getting your cooling upgraded so your temps are down also methanol too. Assuming that your car is healthy its very possible the knock is from low quality fuel, ive experienced that too. the higher the octane the better. My tuner always told me that if knock is low then you can add more power safely.

I'm sure someone could elaborate much better than I could but I hope that helps
    That?s more or less what I?ve noticed on this side of the forums lately, and in terms of fueling in WA state I?m stuck to 92 octane, and saw as high as -8? of KR last night on a log, pulled a fair amount of timing a couple times and still at about -6? KR, wondering if carbon buildup is a culprit. Nonetheless, I?ll see if adding some better quality octane booster will help at all, and if I can get my hands on a e85 blend then even better. A intake and improved cooling system are definitely in the work?s. The ZF8 trans calibration is also extremely weird on these 3.0 A8?s.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldEaglePerformanceLLC View Post
    That?s more or less what I?ve noticed on this side of the forums lately, and in terms of fueling in WA state I?m stuck to 92 octane, and saw as high as -8? of KR last night on a log, pulled a fair amount of timing a couple times and still at about -6? KR, wondering if carbon buildup is a culprit. Nonetheless, I?ll see if adding some better quality octane booster will help at all, and if I can get my hands on a e85 blend then even better. A intake and improved cooling system are definitely in the work?s. The ZF8 trans calibration is also extremely weird on these 3.0 A8?s.
    Octane booster definitely should help. 92 octane isnt too bad though, could have gotten a bad batch. I should also mention that theres some other things that can increase knock too like high intake temps so make sure to monitor that too. e85 also helps with that part