Thread: 2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0 L96 6L90e Flex Fuel (e85) e78 ECM

Potential Tuner

2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0 L96 6L90e Flex Fuel (e85) e78 ECM

Hi everyone. I am learning how to use HPTuners with this new of an ECM.

So, I have done quite a bit of tuning on 99-04/05 GM trucks and it's far simpler to do. I am using this truck to learn how to tune these newer Gen IV ECMs. The vehicle in question is a 2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD with the L96 6.0 and 6L90e. This is a Flex Fuel truck. It runs on e85 often. This is all a bit new to me.

Mods include:
    - S&B Intake
    - Speed Engineering 1 7/8 headers and full 3 inch exhaust (no rear o2 sensors)

Mods that are coming soon:
    - BTR Stage 4 Truck Camshaft with double roller timing set and upgrading valve springs and pushrods.
    - 3800 Circle D Torque Converter
    - Champion 4 core aluminum radiator
    - TruCool 40k Trans cooler and stainless braided lines
    - 180* Tstat.

So right now, I am wanting to tune it for the current mods. I want it to have no speed limiter, no torque management, and i want it's timing to be increased and shift points and pressures increased once the tow haul button is applied. Anyone have any advice for me? I want the butt dyno to be able to notice a difference. Thank you to anyone with any pointers and advice!

These are torque based computers, turning off torque mngt is not an option. It must have torque mngt to function correctly.

Speed limiters are there for a reason. For tire speed rating and the critical speed of the massive driveshaft that is under those trucks. I'd be pretty leery of going over 100mph.

If possible install a real flex fuel system and no rely on the virtual flex fuel garbage that isn't as accurate.

My personal opinion, that's a massive camshaft for a heavy truck even with a nice converter, I'd go smaller but that's just me.

On the timing stuff, increased timing doesn't mean it's going to do you any good. Even on E85 it's only going to want 20-25 degrees of timing at full throttle.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner
    Same engine and ecm but I have a 2017 3500. I have been having a great time tuning it when I can find the time to do it. This engine is very responsive to tuning and it will reward you with a set of tires that go balder with every trip to the store if you want. It has taken me months of playing to finally get to where I think I can tune it up for more power while keeping the necessary torque issues in check. I just installed a bigger MAF and intake tube yesterday and I was able to dial in the new MAF settings in 4 short runs for data this morning. It sounds crazy loud at WOT but is quiet during regular driving. I can now burn rubber through second gear. No other engine mods yet. I also have my parts piling up, getting ready to make it a nitrous burner. It’s taking a while to decide what are the right parts for my build. I’m going with a 3000 stall. I love to see these heavy trucks move, still feels fast even though…
    2017 Silverado 3500HD WT 6.0 flex fuel 6L90 6800lbs E78 T43

--- What am I doing??? Why did I do that??? ---

Tuner
    Here is my current tune with the new,non-stock, MAF data in. you can see some things Ive done to make it more fun to drive. If anyone who knows better can explain why a person might not want to do any of the modifications I have done please do. I am a novice tuner and this tune only represents my limited knowledge. But its a lot of fun. Good luck with it.

Man, I reckon if somebody ever grows the balls to make a Stage 200 cam, it'd make enough powar to boil the tires even in park. I bet nobody makes those just cause they're scared.

Potential Tuner
    I appreciate the sarcasm. I don't typically like "stage" cams but this particular cam I have in 2 older gen 3 trucks and one 08 Sierra Denali. Seems to work well. However the 08 was tuned by my previous boss who is a wonderful tuner. I wouldn't use it if it didn't work well for the applications I have used it in. However, thank you for your input, if you have any advice I can actually use, I am all ears and trying to learn how to use this Tq based tuning.

Potential Tuner
    I am going to have to play with it. What all is done in your tune because it looks similar to mine minus MAF data. I basically copied what you had changed just to try it, and the truck acted as if it was cammed and it would not move. I have been playing with mine for the last several days, data logging and testing trying to make it work better. I have a hiccup between gears 1 up to 2. Can't seem to see where it is happening. But I am still learning.

Potential Tuner
    I appreciate your input. I would love any advice you might have. As far as the camshaft, I've got it in 3 other trucks and it seems to work well with the nicer converter, and so since I've got one, I want to see how it'll run in this truck.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kaydenmorlen View Post
    I am going to have to play with it. What all is done in your tune because it looks similar to mine minus MAF data. I basically copied what you had changed just to try it, and the truck acted as if it was cammed and it would not move. I have been playing with mine for the last several days, data logging and testing trying to make it work better. I have a hiccup between gears 1 up to 2. Can't seem to see where it is happening. But I am still learning.
    That file has a few changes to a lot of things. I’m not sure why that would cause your vehicle not to move and I have no trouble running that tune. There are high octane spark changes, transmission shift point changes, I have turned off the TCC apply completely which I will reinstate when I get my new torque converter in. Driver Demand tables are changed, knock retard tables are changed. The torque management on the engine is basically turned off and for the transmission it is still on for shifts to a high degree, almost stock for shifts except 1-2, 2-3. I run it with ABS fuses pulled and Traction Control fuses pulled. Brake torque limits are off.

I basically just turned off torque management for the engine including ABS and traction control, removed ability for the false knock I get at times to reduce the applied spark timing, tuned MAF using the way described earlier, used g/cylinder vs rpm to dial in a little more spark on the high octane table, and changed a bunch of stuff on the transmission tune. I tow with this vehicle and love the way it runs. The PE is rich but I’ll get to that shortly. I have changed the torque spark model on the tune since the one I posted. The one on the posted tune smoothed things out a little to much for my taste so I have the profile back to stock there now. I’m new so always trying to improve the tune.

Also the idle speed is increased from stock to 650. That involved a bunch of tables and things. I did that as a test run for when I put in my new camshaft.
    Last edited by Tunercharged; 08-08-2022 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Forgot something