Thread: How to add fuel in a 7e8/f150 5.0

How to add fuel in a 7e8/f150 5.0

Disclaimer: I have ZERO experience with ford stuff, I've only ever tuned gen 3/4 gm with hptuners.

2016 f150 with only mild exhaust work and a gen 3 coyote manifold. Short term, I only wanted to add some fuel where needed to keep it safe so the guy could take it on a trip this weekend.

I started by just making sure I could see and log what I needed for the time being. LTFT's and STFT's were working, ltft's showing about 5% lean in the cells I could hit sitting still in the driveway. I then pulled the stock tune file, and tried logging again, and now ltft's show zero constantly, even in closed loop. Thats the first problem I'd like to figure out.

Went for a short drive, using just stft's, and see it's wanting another 20% or more at the higher ranges. Stopped at that point for safety.

Also noticed the ethanol content jumping between 15% and 60% while driving. I know these use a virtual sensor like gm, and it won't be truly accurate, but are they really that bad? How are you supposed to get fuel right if it doesn't even know what stoich is supposed to be?

Next I opened the stock tune file, and can't for the life of me find a SD or MAP table to just add fuel. I did find the speed density calculator stuff, but those have almost 30 tables in there. Surely you don't have to edit every single one of those right?

TLDR: How do you just add fuel? How do I get ltft's working again? how do you adjust fuel if stoich is falsely jumping all over the place?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. Google/youtube was zero help, but I'm not even sure what to search for as I only know gm terms.
    '12 ZL1 - RPM 5", TSP 2" headers, Speed Engineering 3" header back, Dayco 8.66 lower/LPE 2.38 upper, ID1050x's with DSX aux kit and E, NGK TR8's, Taylor wires, 160* tstat, NW 102, self ported snout/blower, Stock unopened long block

Disclaimer - I am not familiar with the trucks or Gen2 coyotes.

Based on my first hand experience with a Gen 1 coyote:
    * LTFT will be zero for a few drive cycles after a reflash. Mine don't start populating till the 5th drive cycle.
    * System runs in closed loop all the time, WOT AFR will be what is commanded/programmed as long as the trims can compensate. Mine has always delivered Desired WOT AFR as programmed.
    I have seen STFTs in the 20% range occasionally after a fresh flash.

Sorry, no clue on the flex fuel/alcohol content swing.
    Not much help, I know.
    Last edited by JuiceNA; 08-08-2022 at 11:31 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Did you hook up a MAP sensor on the gen 3 GT manifold?

The gen 2 truck is SD system.

ok that makes sense. Thank you. I just need to find the map/s to edit to add fuel.
    '12 ZL1 - RPM 5", TSP 2" headers, Speed Engineering 3" header back, Dayco 8.66 lower/LPE 2.38 upper, ID1050x's with DSX aux kit and E, NGK TR8's, Taylor wires, 160* tstat, NW 102, self ported snout/blower, Stock unopened long block

Yes sir, and it reads what I would expect.