Thread: 05 Cummins

Tuner in Training

05 Cummins

Got my 05 cummins working really good but it runs hot for egt i got them down by bumping up the timing to 11* but im wondering what is the most timing i can throw at a stock truck?
    Im pretty happy with how it works on my mild tune but im looking to be able to get 150-200hp tune and have that reliable.

Banned
    What?s hot for egt? Where? Where you putting 11 degrees of timing? What are you doing in the tune and where? You?ve provided nothing to give any kind of answer other than if you want a reliable extra 200hp, start upgrading parts from stock.

Tuner in Training
    Question was how much timing can i throw at the truck
    Its 11* at 2900 rpm in main injection timing
    Was at 1600 egt i got it down to 1300egt at wot for a few seconds good working truck. I know there is stock trucks able to be tuned for another 150-200hp safely
    Im new to tuning so im sorry im not clear just trying to learn by asking
    I would like to know what guys change to get good results
    Im happy with my mild tune it but i just want to figure out how make a ?hot tune? more reliable because it will bury the needle on the egt gauge but it works unreal

Banned
    I?ll repeat myself, even though I hate repeating myself?. and I will add an extra word in, if you want a safe and reliable extra 200 hp, start upgrading parts from stock. Just because someone can push an extra 200 hp out of a stock truck, doesn?t make it safe or reliable. You are exceeding limits. Take it for what you want but that?s a hard fact of life. It will be hot, smokey, exceeding limits of the turbo and fuel system, if your factory lift pump can even keep up with the demand and your cylinder pressures will be higher than desired.

11 degrees at 2900 rpms is a meaningless number. It?s all relative to fuel pressure, injector duration, air flow, boost pressure, altitude, etc etc etc.

Banned
    With stock everything, and I mean stock everything, including the tuning, you can adjust the timing up way higher than 11 degrees in the very upper end of the rpm and fuel end of the table.

Tuner in Training
    I just want to know whats safe for timing on a stock truck

Tuner in Training
    At this time i dont want to go big horsepower but i just know there is guys getting safely 150hp out of a tune on a stock truck and honestly thats all i want out of it, however instead of buying a tune im looking to broaden my knowledge and learn how to tune my own truck. I used to tune my wheeler via powercommander and i got it pretty dialed in but thats comparedint apples to oranges here software wise and accessibility.
    I could put the map i have for a ?hot tune ? up and you could maybe look at it honestly it was one of the first maps i made and it works good for burnouts LOL but not for top speed and id like to be able to get the truck performing on the top end so i can race a local guy to shut him up lol

if you look on here there are lot of tunes posted that will kick you in the right direction, Jim has been an enormous help to me with his knowledge.
    limiters max them out, speed limit as well
    fuel psi table needs major love and I like to run a max limit of 180 mpa, I typically only ramp in 180mpa in the higher mm3 like 120mm3 and up
    timing on a hot tune 32 degrees @ 3000-3200rpm with 3200us of fuel @ 140mm3/180mpa
    pilot timing needs to be redone as well
    pulse width add fuel from 100 or 120mm3 up
    most of all get familiar with logging and study your logs, when I first started I studied a log for a week before I made changes just to get a good grasp on things.
    if you push the engine past the specs above you'll likely be doing some damage, also the end of injection or injector cut can be handy to stop too much fuel going in past TDC
    most of us run one engine mode (1) then you only have to deal with that map throughout the tune
    2010 F-350 03 5.9/848ecm, built 5R110, 30% over sticks, 10mm pump, 64mm Stealth Turbo
    2008 F-350 03 5.9
    Fumminstuning.com

Tuner in Training
    Okay so ive basically got a good working truck and i havent even scratched the surface LOL

Tuner in Training
    What do you mean by 3200us of fuel what type of measurement is that? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MackVan View Post
    What do you mean by 3200us of fuel what type of measurement is that? Thanks
    XXXXus is an amount of on time for an injector.

Best and most reliable way to reduce exhaust temps is free flowing exhaust and larger (more air) turbo. More air means more flow means cooler temps. Think of it like a fan. More fan means cooler. Look at the work Banks has done.

Banned
    3200us injector duration is at the limit of a very healthy stock system. It will be hot and it is not recommended to constantly be hot rodding at that level on a stock truck. The stock transmission can?t take the abuse for long, the turbo is stretched past its efficiency. One can pretend a stock truck can do +150-200hp all day long and not have issues but there are weak links all over the truck that start at the transmission with about an extra 60hp. Eventually things give out and there is zero question about that. Many many many people have lived that reality. Given the age of the truck and being stock, it wouldn?t surprise me if the truck wouldn?t be able to hold 3200us of duration at 160-180mpa at 140mm3.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    3200us injector duration is at the limit of a very healthy stock system. It will be hot and it is not recommended to constantly be hot rodding at that level on a stock truck. The stock transmission can?t take the abuse for long, the turbo is stretched past its efficiency. One can pretend a stock truck can do +150-200hp all day long and not have issues but there are weak links all over the truck that start at the transmission with about an extra 60hp. Eventually things give out and there is zero question about that. Many many many people have lived that reality. Given the age of the truck and being stock, it wouldn?t surprise me if the truck wouldn?t be able to hold 3200us of duration at 160-180mpa at 140mm3.
    I second this opinion. It's like nitrous. How expensive are the parts you're going to break when you use to much.

Tuner in Training
    The transmission is good for 650hp i just got it done this winter, i just want a good tune for a stock truck

my daily tune runs 2650us of fuel, 20 degrees of timing and only high fuel psi in the upper end. they run very well and have zero smoke
    2010 F-350 03 5.9/848ecm, built 5R110, 30% over sticks, 10mm pump, 64mm Stealth Turbo
    2008 F-350 03 5.9
    Fumminstuning.com

Should add some timing....you are shooting a lot of fuel aptdc
    03 cummins,175% flux injectors,dual cp3,s467.7/83 1.00
    Nv5600 with valair triple disc clutch