Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Complete tuning process

Tuner in Training

Complete tuning process

May be a stupid question but I want to go through every process of tuning to ensure I get a good understanding of everything, I plan on tuning the fuel trims and using a WB, what are to proper steps in tuning like MAP, SD, VVE so on and so forth, also if I understand with 4 gen in order to add fuel you and to add air flow correct? Also trying to understand how to up inj cycle duty? And once all tuning is said and done and I want to start adding timing and air flow or fuel into it do I do it after the fact or do it during the tuning process? Again probably a stupid question to most but I'm overly cautious when it comes to doing something new.
    Thanks in advance

Tuner
    I have tuned my MAF and it was amazingly easy to do. I’m new to HPtuners as well. It took me a while before I felt comfortable to tune the MAF and this forum answered many of my questions before I tried doing it. I want to do all the mods on my truck myself and also all the tuning. So after getting comfortable with the scanner and setting up my AEM wideband I looked to YouTube to discover how to set up the scanner graph for MAF tuning. There are many good videos there with details on setting up the table you need. It really just took me some time to figure out what was needed and why.

Set up a MAF tune file where you:

In Airflow, Dynamic
    Disable dynamic airflow
    Change High rpm disable so it doesn’t come on
    Change High rpm re-enable so it doesn’t come on

In Fuel, oxygen sensors
    Change O2 readiness so it doesn’t come on
    Change Long term fuel trims disable min and max

In Temp control
    Disable COT that cools cats

In Fuel cutoff
    Disable DFCO

Load the file into vehicle, vehicle should still run fine/ no changes perceived.

Run the scanner with the table for tuning the MAF that was already created via the YouTube video.

Have the vehicle warmed up start recording and then apply gradual throttle while driving so that all is smooth as possible.

Apply the table to the MAF table in the editor after the drive.
    Use Paste Special to apply to the editor, I used Percent Half Pasting.

I watched it done on YouTube a bunch of times before I did it but it worked first time I tried.
    There are no DTC codes to set or any problems I encountered.
    After doing 4 runs and applying the new data each time I was satisfied with the readings my wideband was showing me so I was done. I put all the settings I changed at the beginning back to what they were and my truck MAF was now tuned well with the new bigger custom MAF and intake tube that I built.

Cheers!
    2017 Silverado 3500HD WT 6.0 flex fuel 6L90 6800lbs E78 T43

--- What am I doing??? Why did I do that??? ---

Tuner in Training
    I'm new to it too I just got hptuners a few weeks ago I've watched a ton of videos and read some forums just like you, truck was turned by someone else but like everything of you want something done right you have to do it yourself, I've been playing with it and deff gained some power out of it the truck now puts you in the seat but now I'm ready to dive into it I kmow how everything is set up for doing the map, sd and vve I just want to make sure there isn't anything I'm missing that I can or should tune like PE or anything else? Also like I stated I'm a little fuzzy on adding fuel I believe you do it through air flow and also adding inj cycle duty, im a hands on kind of person so I can only get so far by reading and watching videos

Tuner
    For myself I look at it like a big experiment. I only change a little at a time and then review to see if the change worked. I take screen shots of what I change ever time I make a change and I have a new folder for each day to organize my changes/ progress. I can always go back in time to redo something if I want. Yeah, a lot of it isn’t obvious but I get more comfortable with it the more I work on it. I haven’t done much with the VVE yet since my engine is stock except for the intake tube. I figure I’ll dive in when I build my engine. From what I understand it should still be a runner with the stock tables as a start since I’m not going FI.
    2017 Silverado 3500HD WT 6.0 flex fuel 6L90 6800lbs E78 T43

--- What am I doing??? Why did I do that??? ---

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunercharged View Post
    For myself I look at it like a big experiment. I only change a little at a time and then review to see if the change worked. I take screen shots of what I change ever time I make a change and I have a new folder for each day to organize my changes/ progress. I can always go back in time to redo something if I want. Yeah, a lot of it isn?t obvious but I get more comfortable with it the more I work on it. I haven?t done much with the VVE yet since my engine is stock except for the intake tube. I figure I?ll dive in when I build my engine. From what I understand it should still be a runner with the stock tables as a start since I?m not going FI.
    no need to take screenshots to see what you changed last. When you open a tune file, you should see an icon beside the yellow file and underneath the word "FLASH" at the top of the screen. if you click that, you can see what you changed and the date. If you need to see what the values were before those changes you can simply open a compare file. Anything that has changed will be highlighted green. Normally when i'm tuning, my files are organized such as: VVE 1, VVE1.1, VVE1.2 etc. that way you can open them as a compare file against your current tune. Hope this helps.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 07 suburban View Post
    I'm new to it too I just got hptuners a few weeks ago I've watched a ton of videos and read some forums just like you, truck was turned by someone else but like everything of you want something done right you have to do it yourself, I've been playing with it and deff gained some power out of it the truck now puts you in the seat but now I'm ready to dive into it I kmow how everything is set up for doing the map, sd and vve I just want to make sure there isn't anything I'm missing that I can or should tune like PE or anything else? Also like I stated I'm a little fuzzy on adding fuel I believe you do it through air flow and also adding inj cycle duty, im a hands on kind of person so I can only get so far by reading and watching videos
    Start with the MAF and VVE first and branch out from there. PE is for WOT tuning and if you hoover your mouse over the table, you will notice a description at the bottom of the page. It will tell you how it is calculated.

Tuner in Training
    Tunercharged I definitely need to organize my files better but im.also good with clutter lol, I have a bunch of work done to my truck and have spent $1500 so far between two tuners, I have bigger plans for the truck coming up and I cant waste my time and money letting someone bullshit me so for me it's ether figure it out or I have no business having my setup

Tuner in Training
    Ls rob I'm aware of how to view everything and that's more so what I wanted, a path to start in although I believe there's more I have to look into with doing the vve, seeing things about changing zones with rpms and all that I have a 3 bar map but only using it as a 2 bar since I'm only at 5lbs of boost and I haven't checked out PE you but I will look at the calculations like you said but lol I know that's not going to be a strong suit for me

Advanced Tuner
    I see. I have no experience with boosted setups so I will not be of much use. As for PE calculations, We know stoich is 14.67 and if you look in the table you will see numbers similar to 1.125. for example, if you have 1.125 across the whole rpm range, (as long as VVE is dialed in) that would mean that your AFR would be 13.04 @ WOT. 14.67 divided by the multiplier 1.125 = 13.04. THIS IS JUST AN EXAMPLE OF HOW THE CALCULATION WORKS, boosted engines need to be richer @ WOT. Hope that helps.

Tuner in Training
    Ls rob I mean it's all the same right other then like you Said I have to run richer and it puts you up over 100 on the MAP row, and actually that does help a lot thank you, I know at wot my AFR reads between id say 10.8 to 11.5

Advanced Tuner
    ?I have a 3 bar map but only using it as a 2 bar since I'm only at 5lbs of boost?
    3bar should be used as a 3bar. If you have used 2bar sensor data for a 3bar sensor stop now and update the data to the correct 3bar data. In the scanner KOEO MAP should read about 100kpa, depending on your actual elevation of course.

You also mention increasing pulse width, that is accomplished by adding airflow to the MAF curve and/or VVE table. That translates into the computer commanding more or less pulse width to achieve commanded fueling. If you have non-factory injectors or plan to add them to your setup, (after you install them)you need to enter the correct injector data before attempting to tune anything. Correctly addressing these two aspects of the process will prevent, I would say, 69% of your future issues/questions.

Also, MAP, SD, VVE are all one thing, VVE.

Depending on your setup, you will obviously want to lower WOT timing and WOT shift points(mph and rpm) to start for safety reasons. Depending on the cam (if any) raise idle ~100rpm in the warm areas, idle airflow a touch (~2-4g/s), lower cranking VE (~10-20%), raise idle timing (~3-6) degrees, and cut idle timing over/under control by 50%. Get it starting and idling just ok, but consistently. You then tune the MAF, VVE, (MAF 2nd round, VVE 2nd round), Timing, idle, then transmission. In that order with steady state and correctly filtered data is probably the easiest. Slowly working up to WOT if you have a wideband installed. 2nd round MAF/VVE tuning is user preference.

Tuner in Training
    Exo3901 thank you for the info, im overly cautious when it comes to something new so I tend to ask questions that I already know but not 100% sure, the truck was tuned by two other ppl and I kmow enough that its not at its full potential, I'll give you the run down its a lc9 stock bottom end stage 3 tsp truck cam, full exhaust no cats, 2.3 twin screw whipple, 50lb injectors I don't know the brand off the top of my head but I believe they are a good brand, when I went into the tune I noticed it was setup under 2 bar (other tuners had it setup like this) witch I found odd cause I'm sure it's a 3 bar buy its my understanding since im.only at 5lbs of boost then running a 2 bar should be fine? And as far as adding fuel I wasnt completely sure how but the more I read then I realized like you said you do it through the maf and or vve again me being cautious, since it was already tuned there's some that I don't have to worry about messing with at the moment, all I've done so far was mess with some of the torque management and threw 2 degrees of timing into the spark table then adjusted wherever i I got spark retard, she has some more pep in her step now for being a big bitch and she is still in the safe zones as far as the tune, there is much idk but seem to be picking it up better then I thought I would this is why I want to go through every process of tuning im a hands on person, and you explained the path I should take first thats what I really needed and as far as trans adjustments I'm haven an issue with that my tcm is a t42 I swapped out my 4l60e for a 4l80e and apparently for my tcm it's an issue with segment swaps and had to be done differently but I'm not sure with patterns I need to adjust since there is a few of them and if you pull a file for a 4l80e there are slight differences compared to mine like 1st gear ratio isn't the same, I have not liked my trans setup since I've had it I should of built it instead of paying someone to, and I will be tuning off of a wideband, since I have you here I was looking at my pe and I understand that there are things that keep you from going into pe well I noticed under enable and min map it's set at 8psi since I'm only at 5lbs of boost does this mean It's keeping me out of pe? Sorry for the long reply and thanks for your help

Senior Tuner
    What is the part # on your MAP sensor?

Tuner in Training
    I have no clue, it came with the whipple complete kit I'd have to stick my phone back there and try to get a picture, I kmow in the list of parts its listed as gm 3 bar map sensor it doesn't give a part number

Tuning Addict
    If I'm halfway reading AND understanding this correctly, what I think the OP is stating is that the whipple kit came with a 3bar map - although we don't know that for sure, but the tune is running a 2bar enhanced OS - would this be correct? You wouldn't have a VVE anymore if this is the case!

You know it would really help to just post the tune and full build then people can point out what they would recommend tweaking or adjusting.

As for the 4l80 - if you don't run a 4l80 OS it'll most likely never work correctly as they shifted completely differently from one another. On setups where it's not possible - there are companies that sale tcm's with the 4l80 OS already installed - this just takes the place of your current tcm. I have also gone as far as licensing a tune with a 4l80 and only writing entire the trans cal into the tcm then relicensing once read back out with the new OS. This is required when going from a 4l70 to a 4l80 for example as there aren't any segment swaps available for that ecms OS.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Senior Tuner
    I have no clue, it came with the whipple complete kit I'd have to stick my phone back there and try to get a picture, I kmow in the list of parts its listed as gm 3 bar map sensor it doesn't give a part number
    Probably a LS9 (to my very inexperienced mind) but there are other options for "GM 3 bar MAP Sensor" that may have different linear/offset.
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...l=1#post400484

Tuner in Training
    All I know is when I went into the vve it was set to a 2 bar not a 3 bar and the vve table was there so idk and the first tuner set my tcm to someone to do whatever so it would run the 4l80e and if I can ill post my tune tonight I just have to look how to do it

Advanced Tuner
    2 bar VVE is fine and is a different situation than the one I assumed. I was referring to the actual MAP sensor data.

Tuning Addict
    Go advanced - manage attachments

OK, so to get to the VE table you have to click on edit and go to it through there? It's not under the airflow tab then? If this is the case you can click on the axis on the left and change it to whatever bar setup you like up to 3 bar.

Then as far as the 4l80 goes - did they repin it internally or were some extra wires added or repinned in the connector? You should be able to watch turbine or input shaft speed - make sure it reads engine rpm while idling in park or while moving the vehicle around.
    Last edited by GHuggins; 08-10-2022 at 11:35 PM.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by eXo3901 View Post
    2 bar VVE is fine and is a different situation than the one I assumed. I was referring to the actual MAP sensor data.
    That is what I was trying to get him to confirm also.