Thread: new ecm flash

Potential Tuner

new ecm flash

hello im wanting to know if someone could help. i have a friend that has a 2006 chevy monte carlo ss 5.3 that the computer got messed up some how. they bought a new one from oriellys and it had info for a trailblazer. but when i coonect to the vehicle it doesnt give me the option to read ecm. but i did manage to get the file some how. and it pulls up only info for the monte. the car will not start. how do i flash it so the vehicle will start up. they arent so much interested in a big tune just to get it running. i do have a file. it only gives me a write opyion. so if i just write the file will that allow the engine to run? im new to tuning and this is my first with a new ecm.

I'd only use a GM Tool to flash the vehicle with a VIN/OS that matches. I would not use HP Tuners for something like this.

You'd think that O'riellys would have a procedure that the customer must follow once they purchase a new PCM from them.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

HPT tune files only contain 6 of the 8 segments. Must use GM TIS and J2534 to change OS like that.

Potential Tuner
    ok but for some reason when i go into hp tuner editor it shows everything for the vehicle. vin year engine it only shows something different when i go to scanner. so i cant just write it back into the ecm?

To turn a Trailblazer E40 into a Monte Carlo E40 you must use TIS for the initial programming. After it has the right OS in it, all 8 segments, from then on you can use HP Tuners to flash it as many times as you want (with that same OS/platform/VIN/etc.). HP Tuners is not and was never meant to be a replacement for OEM programming tools.

Potential Tuner
    ok thank yall for the help. i just wanted make sure after i provided all details that i was able to get. i ask alot questions so i learn better. so thanks for the patience and the answers

Quote Originally Posted by divorcepile View Post
    I have tried and luckily it worked.
    For someone's very first post, that's oddly not relevant to either the thread or the post you quoted. Might you be coming back to this in, say, 3 days, to sneak in a link to a thing you're promoting?