Thread: 6L80E in a hotrod?????

Potential Tuner

6L80E in a hotrod?????

Is it possible to install a 6L80E into a hotrod behind the Northstar motor?
    Can the trans be forced into a manual mode or tuned with stock pcm and tuner?

Quote Originally Posted by candyman196 View Post
    Is it possible to install a 6L80E into a hotrod behind the Northstar motor?
    Can the trans be forced into a manual mode or tuned with stock pcm and tuner?
    The TCM is inside the transmission on a 6L80. All you need is the correct ECU and Harness. Why a northstar though?
    2000 Camaro SS 408 TH400
    2012 Subaru WRX STI
    2013 Camaro SS
    2001 Corvette Z06

Potential Tuner
    I purchased 2 supercharged Northstar motors with stand alone fuel injection for 2K from a sand rail. A deal of all deals in my eyes. Wanted a hemi and this was as close to a real Hemi 426 as I can get. Used to be the hot ticket until the LS motors came out. I'm building a 31 Ford Tudor hotrod
    So tell me more on what I need please? I'm a complete newbie with this stuff. Looking at a 2004-2005 rear wheel drive 6L80E because of the bolt pattern and semi direct bolt on. So I need the car ecu?

You need an E38 or E67, since those are the only ones that have operating systems that'll communicate with a T43. Those are not Gen 3 platforms. Northstar is also not Gen 3.

Cadillac XLR did use E67 & T43 and was RWD.

Potential Tuner
    Why do I need the car ECU? Like I said I am an idiot with the electronics side of this stuff!

Because the transmission computer is just a dumb lump without an engine ECM to talk to. It does nothing on its own.

Senior Tuner
    Isn't this something that will work?
    https://powertraincontrolsolutions.c...on_Controller/

Sure, if you have essentially unlimited money and it's not possible to use an OEM engine computer. Seems to me like a junkyard E67 and reworked stock harness would be a more sensible solution.