Thread: newbie ??

Tuner

newbie ??

I'm doing an LS swap to an S10. Like every other car project it has gone way over budget. So I have not yet bought a HP tuner set up yet. I do plan to buy when I get to the tuner stage (which is getting close). I purchased a P59 PCM with a "start up tune" with my custom made harness. My question is if I borrow an older set up from my nephew and buy credits to look at the file. When I do buy a new set up for myself will I need to buy more credits? will it be compatible?

You can look at files without buying anything. Go download the software and install it, it comes with samples for most ECM/PCM types. You can also download tunes posted here on the forums. You can open them and look but won't be able to save changes until you have bought and registered an interface.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    You can look at files without buying anything. Go download the software and install it, it comes with samples for most ECM/PCM types. You can also download tunes posted here on the forums. You can open them and look but won't be able to save changes until you have bought and registered an interface.
    Thanks I went to HPTuners web site and looked at the supported vehicles page. It answered the question. they are tied to the specific interface

Single vehicle licenses will work only with the specific vehicle?s ECM/PCM/VCM you have locked the license to.
    Each single vehicle license is tied to the interface used to license the ECM/PCM/VCM.
    Replacing the ECM/PCM/VCM will require relicensing.
    Year/Model type licenses will work on an unlimited number of vehicles of that particular model and year.
    Unlimited vehicle group licenses will allow you to tune all vehicles that fall under that vehicle group category.
    Please Note: Pricing models below are for ECM only, some models offer TCM, FICM, FSCM & CCM tuning at an additional cost

You do not need to own an interface to download (from the interwebs) and look at tune files. You found an answer to a different question that doesn't apply to installing the software in demo mode just to look at stuff.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    You do not need to own an interface to download (from the interwebs) and look at tune files. You found an answer to a different question that doesn't apply to installing the software in demo mode just to look at stuff.
    I have already looked at demo files and downloaded files to look at.

May be I didn't word my question properly then. So let me explain a little better.
    My original question was:
    "My question is if I borrow an older set up from my nephew and buy credits to look at the file. When I do buy a new set up for myself will I need to buy more credits? will it be compatible?"

So I was asking if I used my nephews older interface. Would I be able to access the same PCM with my newer interface at no additional cost.
    I don't want to look at demo files, I want to look at MY file that was put on MY PCM that I purchased for the setup. This would require an interface. So it's pretty clear from that page. The credits purchased are for 1 PCM & 1 interface.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranzman View Post
    "My question is if I borrow an older set up from my nephew and buy credits to look at the file. When I do buy a new set up for myself will I need to buy more credits? will it be compatible?"
    It does NOT cost credits to LOOK at file, it only costs credits at flash. If you use credits on your nephews interface you WOULD need to purchase credits on YOUR interface to tune your vehicle.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner
    Thanks Bill, that is what i was hoping for.

Potential Tuner
    Hello, I'm new to this tuner stuff, but. Maybe yall can give me some advice. My truck was being tuned and running a system check off his laptop to find out if I had a problem with my ac compressor and pcm communicating He changed a couple things. Cut the truck off and back to the on position and continued the installation process. During mid installation it disconnected and won't connect back. Now my truck doesn't do anything but light up the dash. No engine turnover. Just dash lights up. Can you please give me some advice on this situation.
    2007 silverado 1500 classic. 4.8L V8