Thread: removing a tune question with SCT and HPT

Potential Tuner

removing a tune question with SCT and HPT

I have a truck with a unknown brand or calibration tune and do not have the programmer they used.

I have an SCT with a stock tune and a tow tune I want to run.
    Could i load the bone stock sct tune from my livewire, read the tune with HPT and then reset the original unknown tune with livewire, then write the stock file that I pulled to the pcm and then use my livewire to load my tow tune.
    that way my PCM is stock and anytime I remove the livewire it goes back to stock.

the goal is to get rid of the tune that is on there without going the ford IDS route to get flashed with a stock calibration.
    just trying to get the PCM bone stock so there are no floating gremlins from the past tune.
    the existing unknown tune is too hot for towing and i want to make sure the truck is safe for towing.

I would load an oem tune via ids or fjds then tune with the live wire. If someone would post a stock file here you could open and make the necessary changes to make it stock then flash that file in then use the live wire. The way the truck is it will retain the existing tune on the live wire as stock if try tuning it now. My truck came with an unknown diet tune. I put the canned tune from my live wire on the truck but the trans shifting was goofy. I ended up going back to ?stock? which was the tune that was on the truck when purchased, we figured on here that it was minimaxx tune. Easiest way would be to go oem flash. If you know anyone with a j2532 box or ids they can do it easily, I use a passthru pro3 and ford subscription is 49 for 72hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfed97 View Post
    I have a truck with a unknown brand or calibration tune and do not have the programmer they used.

I have an SCT with a stock tune and a tow tune I want to run.
    Could i load the bone stock sct tune from my livewire, read the tune with HPT and then reset the original unknown tune with livewire, then write the stock file that I pulled to the pcm and then use my livewire to load my tow tune.
    that way my PCM is stock and anytime I remove the livewire it goes back to stock.

the goal is to get rid of the tune that is on there without going the ford IDS route to get flashed with a stock calibration.
    just trying to get the PCM bone stock so there are no floating gremlins from the past tune.
    the existing unknown tune is too hot for towing and i want to make sure the truck is safe for towing.
    What truck is it? You can use Forscan beta (which is free) to return it to stock if it's a 6.7.

Potential Tuner
    Badcoupe - I don't have access to a vcm2 or 3. thought about buying a china clone.
    I have considered exactly what you described. Would love to just put the stock calibration on it and ensure it was all stock then go from there.

jr2185= its a 2008 6.4 fx4 automatic. I have forscan

i appreciate you both

Potential Tuner
    ill post the existing tune here in a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfed97 View Post
    Badcoupe - I don't have access to a vcm2 or 3. thought about buying a china clone.
    I have considered exactly what you described. Would love to just put the stock calibration on it and ensure it was all stock then go from there.

jr2185= its a 2008 6.4 fx4 automatic. I have forscan

i appreciate you both
    I don't think Forscan can program the 6.4s yet.

Potential Tuner
    here it is
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner
    i love it wish it could! fingers crossed

I could program my bench ecu with your stock calibration, change the vin to match yours, then read it with HPT and send it to you.

Potential Tuner
    that would be sweet! let me know what that would require

I have everything I need. I'll try to get it done later today.

Potential Tuner
    Sweet!
    don't hurry yourself I have to go on trip and wont get a chance to mess with it till Sunday.
    Very appreciated!

Here is a stock file with the same calibration and your vin. Engine only, no TCM.

2008 Stock truck tune 8-12-22.hpt

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jr2185 View Post
    Here is a stock file with the same calibration and your vin. Engine only, no TCM.

2008 Stock truck tune 8-12-22.hpt
    That's awesome thank you!
    ill give it a shot next week when I get back home.

Keep a bat charger on it while flashing, these are notorious for bricking while reprogramming FYI

Potential Tuner
    thank you again got me where i needed to be.

Potential Tuner
    I also have an 08 6.4 I need to return to stock . I have an SCT does anyone have a stock file I could flash with.