Thread: 2002 Camaro injector change and 2 bar SD tune

2002 Camaro injector change and 2 bar SD tune

2002 Camaro LS1 M6 with D1SC and mild cam is what I started with, professionally tuned.

This was a 1 bar MAF tune that apparently works well with low boost levels.

Fuel system basically stock except for a Racetronix in-tank pump.

Cam is mild 222/224 0.566/0.568 lsa 112 1,600 - 6,800 operating range

Anyway I swapped in a 4L60e with a Yank 3600 converter.

Next I changed the ID1000 (100 lbs) injectors to Deatschwerks 60 lb injectors as well as a GM 2 bar MAP sensor.

Did all the usual stuff to change to the 2 bar operating system including a "shot in the dark" VE table.

Did all the usual stuff to enable SD tuning. No MAF or O2 corrections, etc.

Connected the AEM wideband (not sure of model, no buttons) to the EGR PCM input and it works normally.

Fired right up, idled decent with ballpark AFR and was even driveable at low throttle inputs. I did not spend any time on idle tuning because it started easy, went into gear no problem and other than going lean on throttle input was decent. I tried the RTT feature to see if I could dial in the idle cell, but the AFR gauge did not respond to +/- changes in the live VE table.

Did the usual very moderate drive, scanner log and error correction writes to the VE table. I did this a few times and it seemed to get worse, and so I did some manual adjustments but with unfavorable and unpredictable results.

Looked more carefully at the wide band numbers and error percents in the scanner logs. What I see is huge lean to rich variations in each cell where the average may not be meaningful. I am aware of filtering for things like throttle position <>1. Something is not right in my method or setup.

I am posting the original 1 bar tune, my current tune (VE table a mess down low) and a scanner log.

Is there anything obvious that I am doing wrong?

I have arrived at a point where I have some knowledge and now know how much there is yet to learn, but something is obviously escaping my understanding.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by slarsen47; 08-14-2022 at 09:17 AM.

I have richened up the VE table and that has improved things but a long way to go.

It starts and runs decent. A bit rich on cruise/coast and mild throttle increases go lean right away.

With throttle off it is like in cruise control.

Idles in the 14.x area in gear but goes to 13.x in park neutral.

I tried reducing the Transient min fuel number from 0.41 to 0.21.

This really leaned out the idle to the 16-17x range, but put it back as I really do not know what I am doing. Following suggestion on another thread.

And the real time tuning does not work unfortunately. It worked a few days ago, but changing idle cell values live did not change AFR gauge.

Here are updated tune and scan files.

Continuing to read and try things but not able to sort out yet.Procharged Camaro 2 bar SD Current.hptScanner file Aug 13.hpl

Dropping the min fuel milligrams was just fine to do, then you have to redo the VE table.

You also typed out 60lb/hr injectors but your flow rate shows data for 80lb/hr injectors. Even if you changed the fuel pressure they shouldn't be that high.

The open loop EQ ratio is also setup wrong, so if you are tuning in open loop the commanded stoich wasn't right. It needs to be 1.00 for all cells at operating temp, so basically anything above 120 degrees. I always copy over a stock 2002 Silverado open loop table, those are usually the best to work with.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Thank you for reply. I will make suggested changes and go from there.

In regards to the DW injectors, they are 60# rated at 3 bar, 43.5 psi and the numbers in the tune are for 58 psi rail pressure which I understand to be correct for 2002 LS1. I am attaching their spreadsheet file that I believe supports my tune info regarding injector numbers.

The car had ID1000 injectors that showed the same trend going to almost 120 at max. The injector change complicated the switch to 2 bar in terms of VE numbers from 0-105 kpa.

I will do the changes and do some more testing and scanner logs.
    Attached Files Attached Files