Thread: Driveability Tune Attached

Tuner in Training

Driveability Tune Attached

I had quite a bit of "fun" getting the LS3 in my Miata to drive smoothly at low load and low rpm (which describes 99% of street driving in a car like this). Even the stock tune that came in the GMPP controller I bought for my LS376/480 crate engine was a shit show under these conditions. And that was with a heavy 52# LS7 flywheel and clutch setup.

The engine currently is 11.8:1 CR, with a 227/232 114+1 camshaft in it. It's got a very light RPS BC2 clutch on an aluminum flywheel ... 25# total. Also long tube headers.

After quite a bit of tweaking, I finally have it running very smooth. I thought I'd attach my tune here so people fighting the same issues could have a look.

The things that I believe contributed to getting this running smoothly, which you can see in the tune...

-- Reducing ignition advance at light load, low rpm, i.e. parking lots and my neighborhood. This car is so light, and the engine so powerful, that cruise is at .18-.20 cyl air on the highway, and as soon as you're off throttle, you drop to ~.08-.12 cyl. air.
    -- Setting up the O2 sensor proportional gain table and O2 mode vs. Airflow table ... long tubes like different than stock settings due to the signal delay compared to the stock manifolds.
    -- Set up the O2 switching voltages vs. Airflow mode to be lean at cruise and richer as load is added.
    -- End of injection timing (EOIT) is later.
    -- Idle minimum airflow can't be **too** low in the areas above actual idle. I noticed the car would start bucking when I closed the throttle in my neighborhood or a parking lot. When I adjusted the tune for more idle air at those rpms, that stopped.
    -- Lowered main throttle mapping in 'Airflow/Electronic throttle' so that the throttle could be opened and closed more slowly
    -- Lowered throttle follower step up/down to 50% of original ... this was a big help
    -- M6 spark smoothing is still enabled

In order to be able to run more coastdown spark on the highway (for fuel economy) at my cruise rpm of 1200-1600 rpm, I use the adaptive idle all the way up to 35 mph. This means that in a parking lot or trying to creep through my neighborhood, I'm running as low as 1.5 degrees of advance off throttle ... that smooths the car out a lot, and gives a nice crackle on decel.

There is a fair amount of trial and error involved in getting the off throttle behavior to be smooth. Too much idle air or spark and you get "cruise control". Too little spark and fuel mileage might suffer. Too little air above actual idle speed, and it can be rough off throttle in parking lots. Play around...

Obviously, the MAF calibration, the injector calibration (I?m running GTP36 injectors), and most of the spark calibration, may not be suited to your engine.

Hopes this gives others a leg up

LAST UPDATE OF ATTACHED TUNE ... 1/31/23

KEYWORDS FOR SEARCH: bucking jerking surging trailer hitching
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by grubinski; 02-06-2023 at 08:43 AM.

hey thanks for posting just wondering why our etc scalers are so different. different throttle body? heres mine 2014 ss sedan 5636.000 where you are at 4725.000. ive been having trouble ffrom dead stop to mashing pedal i get a little hesitation3.7a.hpt

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by biholliday View Post
    hey thanks for posting just wondering why our etc scalers are so different. different throttle body? heres mine 2014 ss sedan 5636.000 where you are at 4725.000. ive been having trouble ffrom dead stop to mashing pedal i get a little hesitation3.7a.hpt
    Not to hijack but GM uses different numbers for the exact same throttle body.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

no problem i was talking about the tune etc scaler setting. does that mean different size throttle body? because i read that nw102 is in the 8000 area.

Tuner in Training
    I use that scalar value because it's what was in the GMPP tune that came with my controller for this (originally LS376/480) crate engine. It's a 92mm throttle body.

my throttle body is also 92 mm that the reason im asking cuz i thought that those numbers were a direct representation of the TB size. im probably wrong

Tuner in Training
    my throttle body is also 92 mm that the reason im asking cuz i thought that those numbers were a direct representation of the TB size. im probably wrong
    A search on "ETC Scaler 5636" led me to a thread that says the '09 (and later?) 92mm throttle bodies open a bit more than the previous ones. GM adjusted the scaler value appropriately. Mine is apparently the early style, and the tune that came with it used the lower value.

Tuner in Training
    what did you change on the eoit? did you just add to the normal rpm table?
    trying to get my eyes to stop burning when i drive my car lol

i'm running a 224/232 111

Tuner in Training
    Updated the tune as of 1/31/23 ... the car is driving smoother than ever. I put a lot of this down to the recent changes to the Throttle Follower Torque step up/down values in the Idle/Airflow tab. I made them 50% of the original values, so that the PCM isn't opening and closing the throttle as aggressively at very light load and low-ish (~1600) rpm.