Thread: 2018 5.0M Knock

Potential Tuner

2018 5.0M Knock

Just out of curiosity what kind of timing are you guys normally running these gen 3s on 93 pump gas? I've heard somewhere up to the mid 20s, but this one seems to take more timing out than I had anticipated.

Knock.hpl

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ckdavis View Post
    Just out of curiosity what kind of timing are you guys normally running these gen 3s on 93 pump gas? I've heard somewhere up to the mid 20s, but this one seems to take more timing out than I had anticipated.

Knock.hpl
    20-24* depending on the modifications. it's different on every vehicle can have two 18 model years and one will run more timing than the other.

Potential Tuner
    This one just has a JLT Cold air, and Stainless Works long tubes. Can't seem to get timing past 18* above 6k. Any ideas? I've heard around 24* as well, but can't even seem to get close to that.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ckdavis View Post
    This one just has a JLT Cold air, and Stainless Works long tubes. Can't seem to get timing past 18* above 6k. Any ideas? I've heard around 24* as well, but can't even seem to get close to that.
    can u post your tune.

18+ will run up around 28 on California 91

Advanced Tuner
    Probably false knock from the headers. Look closely for interference.

Advanced Tuner
    Was just going to post about false knock and headers it’s always in the upper rpm’s , can you post a log , false knock vs real knock will look different. I’m sure something it touching or rubbing somewhere. I’ve gotten 23-24 on 93 on the gen3’s

Potential Tuner
    I?ve got a log attached, how do you go about looking for false knock through a log?

Advanced Tuner
    I'm not going to tell you what to do, but I would cut way down on your channel list first. Your data rate is slow as a result of too many channels. Then I would switch it to per cyl knock retard, and don't forget to change the SDLF to enable it. Then log each individual cylinder knock response and see if it's one cylinder or all of them, or if it's the same cylinder repeating. Then I would add a strong dose of good octane booster and see if it still does it. By this time, you should know if it's false or real. If it's real, then you can make some adjustments to the tune that might help offset the effect. You can also try fuel from different stations or brands. If it's false, then find what's causing it.

I'm running 23-24 deg up top at 10 psi from a whipple on a Gen3 running 93 octane. I spent a TON of time researching and making changes to get there though.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you so much for the reply, will definitely try this. And thank you for the info about the number of channels, I was unaware that too many may slow down data. My only question is what exactly is the SDLF?

Advanced Tuner
    ECM 45323 Knock Sensor SDLF Average Mode. For whatever reason, stock switches from "0" to "4" at 5080. In effect, this switches it from per cyl to global at 5080 rpm, even if Knock Mode is set to "per cyl". I've changed mine to "0" at all rpm to keep it in per cyl mode. FWIW Roush makes the same change in their Phase 2 supercharger tune. With this change, you can identify which cylinder knocks most often and remove timing from just that cyl. And false knock will only pull from one cylinder rather than all.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post
    I'm not going to tell you what to do, but I would cut way down on your channel list first. Your data rate is slow as a result of too many channels. Then I would switch it to per cyl knock retard, and don't forget to change the SDLF to enable it. Then log each individual cylinder knock response and see if it's one cylinder or all of them, or if it's the same cylinder repeating. Then I would add a strong dose of good octane booster and see if it still does it. By this time, you should know if it's false or real. If it's real, then you can make some adjustments to the tune that might help offset the effect. You can also try fuel from different stations or brands. If it's false, then find what's causing it.

I'm running 23-24 deg up top at 10 psi from a whipple on a Gen3 running 93 octane. I spent a TON of time researching and making changes to get there though.
    Thats quite high timing for boost and 93, very impressive. Did you manage that with different cam timing and changes to the direct injection?

Advanced Tuner
    Cam timing, cooling, lambda, gdi changes, exhaust work, tuning, tuning, and more tuning.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post
    Cam timing, cooling, lambda, gdi changes, exhaust work, tuning, tuning, and more tuning.
    I don't want to hijack the thread but I'll ask one more question. What lamba, . 78? Or something else

Advanced Tuner
    Lowering lambda helps with knock suppression as well as cat protection. I err on the rich side for those reasons. I run .8 in the mid-range and drop down to low .7’s at high rpm. You sacrifice some power but you can get some back by running more timing.