Thread: Surging idle cammed 16 silverado

Tuner in Training

Surging idle cammed 16 silverado

2016 silverado with a cam. Otherwise stock. Locked out vvt and disabled vvt. DOD off.

Tuned VVE per greg banish instructions. Added some startup airflow. Truck drives decent and cranks up without issue.

No matter what I do this stupid truck sits there and surges up and down at idle.

I have tried stock torque tables. I have tried subtracting torque down in idle regions. I have tried smoothing out torque in idle regions. I have tried subtracting a LOT of torque from idle regions. I have tried raising speed control reserve. I have tried lowering it. I have tried the speed control multiplier. I have tried raising and lowering the idle torque offset. I have tried raising and lowering the idle external load table. I have raised and lowered and molested the speed control immediate and predicted adaptive idle parameters. I have modified MBT spark.

It. Never. Stops. Surging. I have been through hundreds of forum threads. I have searched everything I can think of. I can tune any gen 3 or gen 4 v8 in 2 hours in and out the door but this gen 5 stuff has zero consistency and is a completely unique learning cliff every single time. None of the changes affect the surging.

Please. Help me before I just refuse any more LT engine customers. I will literally pay someone to tell me the secrets. I just spent 400$ on all of the greg banish videos and it helped very little.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by frosty9595; 08-12-2022 at 08:10 PM.

Tuning Addict
    Secrets? Sure there might be some and we all learn a few, but take it from me when I say right when you think you understand this platform you just wind up getting the next slap to the face. I will say - fail the MAF and dial in your map torque model - that looks like your trouble area. You can also put it into 100% - well primarily 100% MAF mode and see if the problem is better at all - if it is focus on the map side of things.

Now going back to the secrets - when you figure them out, we're all ears
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    there is several way to remedy this, but assuming you have adjusted and dialed in the airflow models/SD/MAF perfectly

then you move to the torque tables

you can email me for support starting with a stock file with mod list
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Tuner in Training
    Realizing in my frustration I possibly posted a file with the stock VVE table before. In any case the truck actually idles without surge with the stock VVE table in it with -25% fuel trims lol. Refined my logging a bit. Looks like the desired map is rising and actual map is following. I just cant figure out why. Played with map and airmass torque tables. Massively raised and lowered it. Sloped it up. Sloped it down. You name it. I tried it. Was not able to get it to behave any differently so I feel like im not adjusting the correct values. Also flipped over to maf only or highspeed mode and didnt not see any difference. Fuel trims are nearly 0 on both maf and VE so my airflow models should be correct.

Tried some stuff from SultanHassanMasTuning in this https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...ers-idle-surge and didnt see any changes.

Attached are the files when I gave up tonight. Please. Help from anyone would be appreciated. testing.hptHelp me please v4.hpl

I feel like I have tried everything under the sun. This truck runs fine minus the idle surge.

Tuning Addict
    This is just something for you to try. You need to hand edit the torque model tables individually to get what you're after - positive torque and timing - focus on the spark and map/airmass tables - do the same for map and MAF sections to keep them equal. Then glance at the torque model to make sure torque is staying pretty much where you have it or going up slightly. You should be able to increase spark and then decrease map equal amounts to keep things in line. AND as I was taught this last week - don't be afraid to increase the idle controls as much as you need to to keep things in line.

You also need to log a WHOLE LOT more pids - watch everything including tq management to see how to change specific tables.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by frosty9595 View Post
    Realizing in my frustration.
    so what did you do to overcome this surging?

it's nice to update threads so when search for answers we can find them

Quote Originally Posted by bk2life View Post
    so what did you do to overcome this surging?

it's nice to update threads so when search for answers we can find them
    Did you not read the next post right below the one you quoted?