Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 6L80 won?t stay in 6th

Senior Tuner
    Same stress on the shaft in 4th and 5th as what you'd get in 6th??? Engine torque doesn't change. Something has to be spinning to fast surely??

Advanced Tuner
    So doing a straight decimal to hex convert i get 0E AD. there is only 1 of these values in the entire tune. but that is in the OS segment.

I'm of 2 minds here. It would make sense that its an OS limit rather then a calibration. the other is, i doubt it's a straight decimal to hex conversion..

Anyone know what the typical rpm factor\multipler for rpm conversion is?

Senior Tuner
    Not off the top of my head. I can easily change some rpm scalars in the tune and see what the conversion is for those and get back to you. Won't be till the weekend though, got a rental we're getting ready for new tenants so flat knacker with that and what time the misso and i have left over we're hitting the cans for some stress relief.

Senior Tuner
    If hardcoded to the OS then someone smarter would have to create a OS patch. Is Eric at hp tuners still around.

Senior Tuner
    I haven't got a way to get the bin into the trans.

T43 OS 24264923

Offset 0x200000 Start of T43 file
    Offset 0x3115DA Address of interest
    2 bytes 0x75 0x68 -> divide by 2^3 -> 3757 dec.

It looks like its in a table so I'm not sure about this one...

I modified other rpm scalars to find the factor and the ones I checked divided by 8.

Please remove the .hpl extension to reveal the zip folder that has the tunes and bins inside.

Capture.PNG
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Yep multiply rpm by 8, but for my efilive cax i need to set the factor to .125.

That value is in the OS component, about to give it a go anyway. i've dropped it to 2000rpm.

will either brick/do some funky shit or work...

no change with that one. i removed some pids to see if i can get some more resolution. seeing 3757 engine rpm with a TIS of 3764 (conv locked obviously).

engine rpm 3756, tis of 3760.

so going to look for those values in my bin.
    Last edited by Tre-Cool; 08-18-2022 at 11:51 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Good job either way. Nice you didn't brick it. I'd never have the balls to change anything in the OS segment.

Thinking search for any value 3750 to 3770 might yield results???

I'll have a look myself...

Senior Tuner
    I got 15 hits on 3760, seems very popular.

Screenshot 2022-08-19 152623.png

Advanced Tuner
    yeah im using OS 24256025 & i've got the individual segments extracted. i like to search just the trans segment first before resorting to the OS. I really dont want it to be in the OS portion.

are you converting that 3760 to hex first?
    Capture.PNG
    Last edited by Tre-Cool; 08-19-2022 at 12:56 AM.

Senior Tuner
    I fired up EFI and opened my T43 bin. First time I've ever used EFI on a T43. I notice they have a couple of things HP doesn't and HP has a couple of things they don't. Looks like I can add some more to my user defined parameters

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by hjtrbo View Post
    Same stress on the shaft in 4th and 5th as what you'd get in 6th??? Engine torque doesn't change. Something has to be spinning to fast surely??
    The stress increases as the gear ratio becomes higher, engine torque stays the same, but the work load increases.

Speaking to my builder we have an uprated material 456 shaft, but the problem is the physical diameter of the shaft is sub standard for the work load.

It?s one of those do at your own peril tuner things.

Senior Tuner
    Here is what I'm thinking... Not meaning to start a shit show either, just discussing.
    It must be a speed thing as opposed to a load thing. I say that because there nothing stopping us locking the converter and locking it into 6th and applying 100% up to the point it downshifts back to 5th.

Advanced Tuner
    yeah it's not a load figure, I'm doing this with just the car jacked at the diff to get wheels off the ground. so engine load is very low.

ive always ran a multiplate lock up in my 6l's and always have them locked for dyno tuning. mine has done close to 1000whp on a friends hub dyno & low 900 on my chassis. I'm yet to run it on my own hub.

Purely because I feel i've well and truly pushed my luck with the stock trans, & despite having like 4 of them on the shelf as spares... can't be assed changing it out.
    Last edited by Tre-Cool; 08-19-2022 at 10:36 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Yeh I?m running locked TCC from 3rd gear and above, if you are running a road car then you?ll creep up on that 6th limit pretty slow, but running reduction gears your flying through 6th.

Advanced Tuner
    So i found the limiter & it is linked to Output Shaft RPM.

In the 2 os files i have which are compatible, the raw hex value is the same.

01 00 B0 40 AD 70

6th-unlimited.PNG

Senior Tuner
    Bang. Legend

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by hjtrbo View Post
    Bang. Legend
    Hopefully it wont lead to that. haha. I'm sure the crawler/buggy guys will report back first. Unless some the US guys are doing a run down to "Mexico".

Potential Tuner
    Hi guys no news on this problem?

Senior Tuner
    Nothing that I'm aware of. Requires a bin edit.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by DG370 View Post
    Hi all!

Hoping someone has some prior experience of this, from my searching it appears the 6L80 is output shaft speed limited or something?

The problem I?m having on my off roader is (seemingly) regardless of what values I put in the ?shift scheduling? tables it will either shift down from 6th to 5th, or block me from going into 6th at all.

Obviously running on reduction box so trans VSS and road speed are irrelevant to each other.

Just a note this is running standalone via a TCM2600.
    Everything else is peachy.

TIA
    so mine was convertor issue i changed convertor and temp reg with the updated verision to keep the temp down then had to tune transmission it should have convertor code stored somewhere if this is case good luck not sure i got tune right but stays in sixth and have 20,000 miles on as of now