Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rev limiter adjustment, cutting too much power during burnout

Tuner in Training

rev limiter adjustment, cutting too much power during burnout

i have a 2001 c5 making 1100, rest of the specs are in my signature

when doing burnouts it obviously wants to just to kill the tires and just goes straight to the rev limiter, the problem is its killing too much power and basically just wants to fall on its face and die unless unless um pedaling it at the perfect spot

can someone point me in the direction of what to adjust to help this
    2001 C5
    Dart 417ci, ls3 mamo heads, mamo fast 102, custom grind cam, katech 103mm (c5 version)
    Vortech Ysi
    E85
    3bar SD tuned

Ctrl+N
    in the [Text Filter] enter 2050 P/N Fuel Cutoff RPM and enter 12,000
    now in [Text Filter] enter 12050 Fuel Cutoff RPM in gear and enter 12,000 in all top row and 11,999 in the bottom row
    That will fix your cutout
    At least the first time if your not careful.

Advanced Tuner
    In System>General>System Options> Make sure the Brake TM is 0 value. If you are hitting a rev limiter then you would need to follow post#2. If it feels like it can't breathe and just bogs down then set that value in Systems tab to 0. Is this an automatic tranny?

Tuner in Training
    It?s a manual trans

I guess adjust whatever thing in your tune file making it do that, that nobody can see but you since you didn't post it, until it stops doing the thing you don't want it to do?

Tuner in Training
    Sorry I?ll post it when I get home

Tuner in Training
    2001 C5
    Dart 417ci, ls3 mamo heads, mamo fast 102, custom grind cam, katech 103mm (c5 version)
    Vortech Ysi
    E85
    3bar SD tuned

Are you using second gear for burnout? How many rpm's?

Tuner in Training
    I?ve done first and second, both with the same outcome, but eventually in second gear I can pedal it to keep it off the limiter

Advanced Tuner
    Glad you posted the tune file.

How much boost pressure are you running?

You have the cylinder volume set to 3.4L.

What is the rated IFR @ xx psi fuel pressure? and what brand?

Tuner in Training
    And for the other question, I?ll dump the clutch around 4-5k I think and then floor it to keep in case it wants to bog down but that?s when the limiter hits hard to the point where it can keep the wheels spinning and will sometimes die

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondaeater View Post
    Glad you posted the tune file.

How much boost pressure are you running?

You have the cylinder volume set to 3.4L.

What is the rated IFR @ xx psi fuel pressure? and what brand?
    I think 20ish psi boost
    The tune is scaled

Fuel pressure is boost referenced
    Fuel injector clinic 1440cc
    (Running out of fuel after 6k rpms, I have fid 2200cc I have not installed yet, taking to back to the tuner to have this done and re-dyno)

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by HateWhatOwnsYou View Post
    And for the other question, I?ll dump the clutch around 4-5k I think and then floor it to keep in case it wants to bog down but that?s when the limiter hits hard to the point where it can keep the wheels spinning and will sometimes die
    HWOY, you launch at 4-5K and have the VSS fuel cutoff and/or ETC in Gear set at 6100rpm?? Brake torque management, 0 in Systems tab.

There is much debate about the TB ETC scalar values and how to calculate them.
    Looks like you used the 103mm / 78mm= (1.3205128205128205128205128205128 * 0.255) = 0.0336 and actually you have 0.0355 ETC Scalar in tune.

If you like it, it is responsive and not sluggish leave it.
    If you want the other conversion for a 103mm is = 0.013890274 assuming the TB shaft is 11mm and TB dia. is 103mm
    Idle characteristics ( nervous or slow reacting) and very light throttle changes are going to be the most notable changes between the Scalars.

Advanced Tuner
    There is many ways and techniques to tune an engine...

Curious, Why scale it?

3 Bar VE, 1440cc inj, Supercharged.... I am always trying to learn more, would you share the technique please!

You can run over 2500cc injectors in this Gen3 P01 without scaling.

Curious, Why scale it?

3 Bar VE, 1440cc inj, Supercharged.... I am always trying to learn more, would you share the technique please!

A whole lot of people get hung up on not having exact precise control of spark timing past the table's g/s limit. Because reasons.

Tuner in Training

Curious, Why scale it?

C5s go into REP if it sees over 2.3g/cylinder, so the get around is it scale the tune and lie to it

Tuner in Training
    HWOY, you launch at 4-5K and have the VSS fuel cutoff and/or ETC in Gear set at 6100rpm?? Brake torque management, 0 in Systems tab.

There is much debate about the TB ETC scalar values and how to calculate them.
    Looks like you used the 103mm / 78mm= (1.3205128205128205128205128205128 * 0.255) = 0.0336 and actually you have 0.0355 ETC Scalar in tune.

If you like it, it is responsive and not sluggish leave it.
    If you want the other conversion for a 103mm is = 0.013890274 assuming the TB shaft is 11mm and TB dia. is 103mm
    Idle characteristics ( nervous or slow reacting) and very light throttle changes are going to be the most notable changes between the Scalars.

What?s HWOY?

And you mention .0336 and .0138 for scalars, are these for separate input boxes or just different units?
    Last edited by HateWhatOwnsYou; 08-17-2022 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Typo

Senior Tuner
    What?s HWOY?
    HateWhatOwnsYou

Advanced Tuner
    What?s HWOY?

And you mention .0336 and .0138 for scalars, are these for separate input boxes or just different units?
    There are two methods I presented in my post on how to come up with the scalar values. In the example stock was a 78 mm so you take the new 103 mm / 78 mm equals 1.3205 and multiply that by the original stock scalar value of 0.0255 that equals 0.0336.
    The other one uses the math that GM used to come up with the 0.0255 in the original scalar value and used the 103mm TB.
    I think I misunderstood your original post. I thought you were saying it should be tired shredding power and it's not. I see now you're talking about hitting a rev limiter and that's because it set at 6100 RPM.
    What RPM does your valve train support? Set the limiter for that.

Tuner in Training
    There are two methods I presented in my post on how to come up with the scalar values. In the example stock was a 78 mm so you take the new 103 mm / 78 mm equals 1.3205 and multiply that by the original stock scalar value of 0.0255 that equals 0.0336.
    The other one uses the math that GM used to come up with the 0.0255 in the original scalar value and used the 103mm TB.
    I think I misunderstood your original post. I thought you were saying it should be tired shredding power and it's not. I see now you're talking about hitting a rev limiter and that's because it set at 6100 RPM.
    What RPM does your valve train support? Set the limiter for that.
    It?s at 6100 because I?m running out of injector, I have bigger injectors I just need to install them and adjust the file for them (but that?s a whole other post I?m gonna have to make)

But my issue isn?t so much that I?m hitting the rev limiter, the issue is it hits the limiter and the car basically will usually fall on its face and die(IM TALKING DURING BURNOUTS) it?s like it closes the throttle body, I lose all my boost out of the bov and when it tried to kick back on it just doesn?t have the power to keep them smoking