Thread: Possible to Edit Log Files?

Possible to Edit Log Files?

A few things have happened to me while I've been harvesting data:

• Stopped by a cop for speeding
    • Reduced Power Mode
    • Stopping for gas
    • Stop into a store/pee break
    • etc

It would really be nice to be able to splice two log files together to make one, or at least be able to trim certain section out of the log. Is it possible to do this? I could export to CSV and edit that way, but as far as I know you can re-import back back into an HPL file.

Advanced Tuner
    Top left of the screen

Log File > Export Log File... On the pop up window choose "visible range" (visible range is the length of the bar at the bottom. use the +/- buttons to zoom in/out and it will make the visible range longer/shorter)

Can't help ya with tying them together

Senior Tuner
    You can reimport a csv to the scanner. It does take work though as excel adds in a heap of commas.
    Use notepad++ to find and replace

Quote Originally Posted by hjtrbo View Post
    You can reimport a csv to the scanner. It does take work though as excel adds in a heap of commas.
    Use notepad++ to find and replace
    Yes I saw your previous post and got really excited because this would give me full flexibility in editing out the rows I don't want. HOWEVER...

This only seems to work on small log file sizes. At some point, not sure if it is number of rows, PID's or perhaps overall file size, you get an "incorrect file header" error message when you try to open it back in the scanner.

Senior Tuner
    I've done that method on <50Mb files. Notepad++ is the go, regular notepad can't handle the large files. I just tested it right now with a csv that has 328,000 lines of data and about 25 channels. Opened right up in the scanner no worries.

If you're above 50Mb your files are huge! Probably time to consider slicing out parts of your logs that don't matter to save space before joining a heap of logs together.

Quote Originally Posted by hjtrbo View Post
    I've done that method on <50Mb files. Notepad++ is the go, regular notepad can't handle the large files. I just tested it right now with a csv that has 328,000 lines of data and about 25 channels. Opened right up in the scanner no worries.

If you're above 50Mb your files are huge! Probably time to consider slicing out parts of your logs that don't matter to save space before joining a heap of logs together.
    I am a software engineer and I use Notepad++ as my text editor for work and play. I am familiar with CSV files too. The issue is happens when I try opening the CSV file in VCM scanner. I just doesn't work sometimes. Even when I export from the Scanner and immediately try to import directly into the Scanner (with no editing).

Senior Tuner
    Nice, former industrial automation engineer here turned power station operator.

Exporting then importing always works. I've never faced issues. Opening in excel and saving even if I made no changes requires a notepad edit.

A screen recording showing your workflow, proving your findings and emailed to support might help resolve???

More powerful log splicing/editing has been on our todo list.

One thing we'll just have to live with is that you'll end up with inaccurate timestamps / time events.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...