Thread: Getting ready to tune my rebuilt motor!!!

Potential Tuner

Getting ready to tune my rebuilt motor!!!

So this will be my first time ever tuning. I have an 02 silverado with the lm7 block that's been bored to fit a forged 383 stroker rotating assembly. I've also added a .625/.625 roller cam w/230/246 lift @ .050 with a 113lsa. I have a fabricated aftermarket intake w/ 102mm throttle body decapped 80lb injectors flowing @ 58.6. I have the 786 heads. How do I go relay all that info correctly in order for it to work together as well along with the timing??? Any and all help is extremely appreciated.

Where's the Short Pulse Adder data for injectors that've been hogged out and no longer match the stock data? Hell the Short Pulse Adder table is relatively easy to fudge since it's a single row. People who don't know how the PCM uses the injector data think the Flow Rate is the most important because that's the only part they understand but IFR is literally the least important. Have a look at that Offset vs Volts vs Vac table... that thing's 28 x 17. Where you gonna magic up that data from? Just gonna use data you found online somewhere from some dude who said "well this is what I used in mine and it seems to run ok'?

Potential Tuner
    Not at all.. I've still got to connect vacuum lines as well as my fuel lines so I haven't even connected the tuner to the truck since its not ready to even try and fire up. But if work is slow enough I can get that knocked out tonight . And like I said this will be my first time programming at all.. other than updating the software so it's ready to go I've not walked through any of the program. So I need as much hands on type advice as I can get!

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ajm6872 View Post
    How do I go relay all that info correctly in order for it to work together as well along with the timing??? Any and all help is extremely appreciated.
    By relay do you mean relay to a shop/remote tuner? If so, a build sheet that includes part numbers would be a great starting point. On the sheet you need to cross out the decaps since you will be throwing those in the trash. Then write in something like "ID1050x" since you will then acquire those or something comparable to replace the decaps.

Senior Tuner
    I think you may want to start reading and watching a bunch of youtube. Tuning is not a process of typing in some data for your parts and hitting send. It sorta sounds like you have no idea how much you don't know about tuning. I've just be playing a little at tuning and am just now getting a handle on how much I don't know.

Potential Tuner
    I ment once I input all the new part info into my comp through the program what do I look for in order to make sure it's all working together. What else would I need to adjust besides the info for the new parts I've installed?

Senior Tuner
    Let's start with do you have a wide band that can be logged into HPT?

Potential Tuner
    You are correct about not knowing how much I'm unaware of to be able to do this. That's why I'm trying to get some info before I jump into it.

Potential Tuner
    I have the mpvi 2 I don't have a wide band controller

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ajm6872 View Post
    You are correct about not knowing how much I'm unaware of to be able to do this. That's why I'm trying to get some info before I jump into it.
    Probably need to start with reading most or all of the links here (there is probably a lot of outdated info in it, but the basics should be the same).
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...o-and-how-to-s

This is not like Holley EFI, with the Fisher-Price kiddie version software where you pick your injectors and camshaft from a drop-down menu. You might want to install the HP software in demo mode and look at some sample tunes.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    This is not like Holley EFI, with the Fisher-Price kiddie version software where you pick your injectors and camshaft from a drop-down menu. You might want to install the HP software in demo mode and look at some sample tunes.
    Might be better off just going with a holley terminator x.

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RDF1 View Post
    Might be better off just going with a holley terminator x.
    I am also a beginner and working on my own tune. Steep learning curve, but you have to start somewhere. The youtube video's and forum posts are essential. A lot of great video's where the producer goes slow and methodical, easy to follow. Then when you become more familiar you can advance to guys that move around the tune file really quick, but are offering more advanced instruction. And it is sure true that the more you learn the more you realize how sophisticated the GM PCM is, even the common Gen III "411" that I am using. I would sure not attempt any tuning without a wideband.

Hi ajm6872,

since you have never tuned do as blindsquirrel said by installing HP tuners software in demo mode and look at that. You will need to go in after you see how it works and just look around the pages to see how things look. If you make any changes the SW will ask if you want to save changes so don't change anything that you don't know or want changed.

Nobody here is going to spoon feed you so you need to get in the drivers seat and get a feel of things on your own, then when you comfortable moving around the SW and see how things are you will get more help.