Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lean Cruise...legal in the USA? Possible!

logic is futile. Just like resistance. We'll all be assimillated.

So, how about Canada, what are thier thoughts on all this? Do they even care?

All i can say is, it makes me wanna learn assembly! lol

Quote Originally Posted by shimp
    Okay, so lean cruise mode, it's merit is good fuel economy. It's detriments are bad tailpipe gasses? Would the savings in fuel economy make up for the difference in pollution vs the vehicle without the bad tailpipe gasses, but with out lean cruise mode? How much bad gasses are spewed when in lean burn?
    Depends on who you talk to...Mr. Bush would like us to cut the consumption of fossil fuels to reduce our dependence on nations we consider to be volatile. +1 for Lean Cruise there.

Scientists have moved the Doomsday clock ahead two minutes because they think Global Warming is getting way worse than we realized. -1 for Lean Cruise from that community.

Both have points...the validity of the second point should be coming out in the next couple weeks. The first point, I think, has already been beaten to death by the war in Iraq, and all of the other Mideast turmoil.
    2008 Viper - now with HPToona - 1/4 Mile Shenanigans Here
    11.02 @ 130

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by shimp
    Okay, so lean cruise mode, it's merit is good fuel economy. It's detriments are bad tailpipe gasses? Would the savings in fuel economy make up for the difference in pollution vs the vehicle without the bad tailpipe gasses, but with out lean cruise mode? How much bad gasses are spewed when in lean burn?

I've got a book here with a graph in.. NOx goes thru the roof just past 14.7 with gasoline. I also am 99% sure you can't do much about it once you have created it.. So what I'm saying is you can put a bigger cat on the car and solve the problem.

idk why anyone cares about this lean cruise. I doubt i guy here bought hptuners to have a better mileage.

and if you have the testing equipment to actually see how much NOx is created and how big a cat u need chances are you have way too much time on your hands. plus wasting money just on the upgrade.

im polluting the air right now just buy having my computer,heat, lights, etc. on. why worry about just the cruise if at accel u have your PE dumping extra fuel killing the environment just a lil more.

plus want a better fuel effiency buy a honda or toyota and have fun catching up to me with my boost killing the environment as much as i can.

South Park put it best dont get smug trying to help a lil when we are a society of remorseful slobs.
    2006 SS Cobalt SC
    Stage 2 ZZP Cams
    Headers, 3.0" Full ZZP Exhaust
    60lb inj. Intake.
    2.8 Pulley
    72# Lb. Supertech Springs
    LNF Ext Valves and lashers
    Cobre H/E, option B.
    Torque Damper
    HPTuned.
    Bitchin'

Quote Originally Posted by MeentSS02
    Scientists have moved the Doomsday clock ahead two minutes because they think Global Warming is getting way worse than we realized. -1 for Lean Cruise from that community.
    I think its moved ahead a lot more than that. If you want to read a good book with scientific rather than emotional content here it is:

http://www.theweathermakers.com/

Also, here's a good documentary to get you going about the alternatives and how politics, business, science and reality rarely act for the good of all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Kil...e_Electric_Car

I love the part where President Bush asks the guy at the pump how far the hydrogen car goes on a tank, and its less than the electric car did in the 1990's
    I count sheep in hex...

Alvin,
    I have seen graphs like that. Interesting to note that over 18:1 AFR (IIRC) the NOx starts coming back down again. However, 18:1 is way outside of practical in most applications unless you have a stratified charge engine. Or an ability to create a rich mixture near the plug like the Honda Civic HX from a year or so ago.

Wondering if they can do "lean burn" on the new Turbo Solstice & Sky as it's direct injection. Hmmm....
    Always Support Our Troops!

Here's another site about global warming.
    Best look at it that I have found yet.

Advanced Tuner
    Global warming is very true, but is an unavoidable fate based on the fact that we are still coming out of the ice age. There was a time when this world was completely covered in lush, green tropical forrests and there were no such things as icebergs or icecaps.

We've only been collecting environmental data over the past 100-150 years, so who's to say that we aren't simply in a warming stage of the worlds thawing process.

Also, a single volcano in the pacific produces more green-house gasses in one single day than the combined total of every car in the world produces in a year. What we really need to do is investigate how to close off volcanoes so I can start to drive care free again without hippies screaming that I'm melting the polar ice caps.
    2000 T/A - Thompson Motorsports 416ls3, F1A procharger, HP tuned. Just a couple psi of boost.
    2013 Mercedes C350, wish HPtuners worked.

Isnt it true that the same CO2 will always be on earth cause we are just recycling what was in the air 60 million years ago.

By warming and adding gas we are going more in the right direction then wrong. I'd rather have a warm planet with intelligent creatures observing the change. More than everyone going crazy because a new ice age will come and the poles will reverse. And theres no way to help.

Plus with technology moving faster than Keith's trans am, once fossil fuels run out we should be able to pick up the slack with Fusion energy or whatever's next for cheap clean energy.

SO if u got gas burn it. Its only going to make the dwindling forests greener.
    2006 SS Cobalt SC
    Stage 2 ZZP Cams
    Headers, 3.0" Full ZZP Exhaust
    60lb inj. Intake.
    2.8 Pulley
    72# Lb. Supertech Springs
    LNF Ext Valves and lashers
    Cobre H/E, option B.
    Torque Damper
    HPTuned.
    Bitchin'

Back to the topic.

NOx is the only major pollutant that increases (and it's a poisonous one!) with a (normal) lean mixture. NOx (NO, NO2, NO3....) can create ground ozone which is not fun for those with athsma. In high concentrations it can even cause death.

Don't worry if all the ice melts the sea level is tipped to rise somewhere between 20 and 70 meters (70-200ft) there won't be much california left to have smog laws
    I count sheep in hex...

Good thing I live at ~2000 ft above... LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners
    Don't worry if all the ice melts the sea level is tipped to rise somewhere between 20 and 70 meters (70-200ft) there won't be much california left to have smog laws
    Elaevation=650ft Hmmmmmmmm beachfront yard

Have any of you seen the Larson RADAX engine?
    I came across this on google video one night and thought it was pretty neat, i would like to learn more about how the valving/intake system work.
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...ryoplane&hl=en
    2000 Impala 3.8
    4T65Ehd 3.29
    VCM ID:7DS739259ui
    VCM OS ID:9387047

Advanced Tuner
    THAT is an AWESOME engine!! excellent post!! FTW

Just so I can understand this lean cruse thing. There is a way to lean the motor out some to get close to 30% better mpg. It is not suppose to be done per the Govt. Now this "trick" IS in HPT and is not allowed to be talked about, or IS NOT accessable by hpt owners because Tuners would be held liable?
    99Z A4 w/ SS LT's, h/f cats, magnaflow catback, port/polish t/b, egr deleted, ls6 intake, lid, 3.73's, hpt, performabuilt level 1 tranny, 3600 stall, Stage 2.5 (5.3 heads), Torquer 2 cam, 42# reworked injectors, TR6 plugs.

2007 Avalanche LTZ - Catback and Eibach springs

i think you can replace 30% with a few %

There is no "trick" you simply can't enable it.
    I count sheep in hex...

Senior Tuner
    As Chris stated, it is hard coded into the code. GM's code will verify it is in not a Monaro OS, then it will not activate, regardless of any setting you make. Or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by 12secSS
    As Chris stated, it is hard coded into the code. GM's code will verify it is in not a Monaro OS, then it will not activate, regardless of any setting you make. Or something like that.
    ...Which is why Chris is going to send me the PCM from his holden car...right Chris? *cough*

So if the a/f is above 14.7 then it will be leaner and give you a higher mpg correct?

Is that why some people change the "starch" (sp) setting under fuel? By making that higher and adjusting the wot accordingly makes up for the leaner running condition?
    99Z A4 w/ SS LT's, h/f cats, magnaflow catback, port/polish t/b, egr deleted, ls6 intake, lid, 3.73's, hpt, performabuilt level 1 tranny, 3600 stall, Stage 2.5 (5.3 heads), Torquer 2 cam, 42# reworked injectors, TR6 plugs.

2007 Avalanche LTZ - Catback and Eibach springs

the idea of lean cruise is to run leaner than 14.7 to *reduce the engines power* which forces you to open the throttle more to maintain a constant speed. All internal combustion engines are most efficient at wide open throttle and least efficient at idle. You basically end up using a smaller amount of fuel by operating the engine at a more efficient throttle setting. eg. opening the throttle a couple extra percent.

displacement on demand operates on a similar principle, cut 4 cyls to reduce the engines ppower and force you to open the throttle more to operate at a more efficient point. The 4 cyls that remain are using more fuel than they normally would but the net effect is a reducion in fuel overall.

it's a subtle point, but many people think that the economy gain is purely from the leaned out AFR or the cut of 4 cyls.

This is why smaller capacity engines that run at higher throttle openings under normal conditions are more fuel efficient than larger engines that run around under 2000rpm all day with the throttle barely cracked. This is also why hybrid cars are able to get such great economy, because the engine that charges the battery operates close to WOT when its charging the batteries (its not directly coupled to the transmission), then it shuts off.
    Last edited by Chris@HPTuners; 02-07-2007 at 04:11 AM.
    I count sheep in hex...