Thread: GM connect & cruise

Tuner in Training

GM connect & cruise

Thinking about going E85 on my 71 C10 with a 408cu iron block with LS3 heads wondering how hard or easy would it be? using a GM ECM/connect & cruise harness.
    Hot Rod Specialties
    HotRodSpecialties.net

71 Chevy C10 w/408ATK

Tuner in Training
    I would NOT recommend the GM connect & cruise products for one simple reason. GM never put the REAL effort into this program in the first place and almost completely denies it's existence with zero support. What is on the left on the shelf belongs in the museum of failed to execute. There are more safe and sane alternatives. Read the documentation. Grand statements of nothing. Looks like a spending bill in Congress. Really look into it before you spend $$$.

Tuner in Training
    It's been installed on the truck for about 4yrs already. just wondering if it can be done easily or not. there is a setting in the tuning for flex fuel?
    Hot Rod Specialties
    HotRodSpecialties.net

71 Chevy C10 w/408ATK

They work fine in the as-delivered state, but go changing things and... well, lots of stuff just does not work. And what works and what doesn't isn't documented anywhere. Fan types that you can pick from the editor settings but will not control a fan. Idle speed. More. Does anybody know exactly which editor settings really work and which do not? Probably no. When there's a sensor fault, what service manual do you use for diagnostics - CTS-V or Trailblazer or Camaro?

While I can't speak to the flex fuel capabilities of the Connect and Cruise, I echo the same sentiments of the horrid execution of the connect and cruise ECM.
    For high end, high feature custom vehicle builds I will literally disassemble a brand-new GenIV crate engine to install a 24x wheel and run an LS1B (full air conditioning control, cruise control, factory security/remote start, etc. etc.) without a dozen silly aftermarket boxes and modules and extra wiring everywhere before I mess with another GMPP controller.

To be maybe somewhat helpful though, I would doubt that the fuel/evap system on a swap application will have the evap system hardware needed to properly run the virtual alcohol content routine. So if you were going to run pump e85 you would need to wire in a fuel composition sensor to correct for the actual alcohol content variation (50-81%)
    I have personally confirmed that the sensor and wiring as outlined in the below link works in an e38 so that might be a good first step to see if the GMPP e67 does have the required input and does report back the alcohol content with the sensor hooked up.
    https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...cation-554495/

I forgot to answer the question you actually asked though lol - as far as how easy or hard it would be; in addition to the sensor install if needed, the calibration should be straightforward. I have worked on a couple connect and cruise e67's (albeit on different tuner brand) and the flex fuel tables are in there. Didn't use them on those applications, so can't say 100% they will actually participate in the engine control but would hope GMPP didn't disable them for no reason.
    Since I'm currently calibrating a 2009 Escalade with HPT, although its an e38, I can confirm the fuel and spark correction tables from there seem like a good starting point to copy.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you for the responses. I basically confirmed what I already was pretty sure about, I need to change controllers. I will most likely go to a Holley system if I go farther with this vehicle.
    Hot Rod Specialties
    HotRodSpecialties.net

71 Chevy C10 w/408ATK