Thread: 8L90 to 10L80 Swap

Potential Tuner

8L90 to 10L80 Swap

I have a 2015 GMC Yukon Denali 4WD with the 8L90 tranny. I'm swapping in a 10L80 and would like to know whether or not my current TCM will support it or if I will need to get a different TCM. This is being matched up to a built LT-1 from a C7 w/ LT-2 Intake. Any input is greatly appreciated.

I see no way of it working but stranger things have happened.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    The truck currently has a T87 TCM. The newer models (2017 and up) with the 10L80 have the T87a TCM. Seems simple, as the only difference in the tranny's are 2 additional gears for the 10 speed. Both trannys have the same case, size, etc. Seems like it should work.

T87a can run a 10 speed, that’s how we get around the t93 trans controller on the 10 speed tuning

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Charles View Post
    T87a can run a 10 speed, that?s how we get around the t93 trans controller on the 10 speed tuning
    Will I have to change harnesses or anything?

Quote Originally Posted by LEAUXLFE View Post
    Will I have to change harnesses or anything?
    No, I’ve never done any harness swapping ti make this work on ZL1s, just swapped the computer and tune it

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Potential Tuner
    Thanks a bunch... This is helpful. I was being told that the swap could not work. I was like, heck, the only difference is two gears... Same case and all. Just need the computer to make it work! That's all.

Tuner in Training
    Did the transfer case from 8 speed work on the 10 speed?

of course this thread like every other is left with no update. no this cannot be done this easy. the new T87A is expecting 1 wire signal from the E92A that matches it. only this completely complicates the entire thing. as the E92A uses the different fuel pressure sensor and all this cannot be done without changing a bunch of things to make it all match.
    there is a "conversion kit" being offered by "sean hamilton" on facebook which makes this much easier but i have no experience on how he is doing it, but he must have figured something out. if the single wire signal from the ecu can be replicated then it would be muuch easier to do. (fyi its a gear position signal) physically its all the same, transfer case is a bit different, but can be "modded"

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by LEAUXLFE View Post
    Thanks a bunch... This is helpful. I was being told that the swap could not work. I was like, heck, the only difference is two gears... Same case and all. Just need the computer to make it work! That's all.
    Did this go anywhere? I'm curious about the changes needed to the 8-speed T87a to get it to work with the 10L80?

Tuner in Training
    Yes, it now is possible to swap from a 6 or 8 speed to a 10 speed. I did it in my sierra. Get on Facebook and look for "Sean Hamilton". He makes the sub harness and has a list of parts youll need.

Potential Tuner
    I need to get my 8L90? Or what ever it is in a 16 Denali Yukon tuned…
    However this post has me wanting a 10 speed automatic in the old 01 2500 suburban with the 8.1 L lol