Thread: Gen iv tick

Tuner in Training

Gen iv tick

I have a weird tick/knock that you can only hear about a minute after start up and it stays a round for a while then after first drive you can no longer hear it really didn't notice until I did a read on it the other day. Is it normal or the tuner

It's highly unlikely to be tune related. Piston slap, lifter noise and the like are all pretty common sounds that come from the LS engines.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    The LS in my suburban has done that since new. Still does it at 150,000 miles. As long as it goes away after a minute or two and doesn?t get worse probably nothing to worry about.

Advanced Tuner
    Yep, it's done. Stick a fork in it. Needs a full rebuild now. Just send it to me if you're going to throw it away.

Tuner in Training
    It doesn't start until a minute or 2 after cranking. And it doesn't go away until I do first drive. Almost follows the lope of exhaust.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by alanwparkerap View Post
    I have a weird tick/knock that you can only hear about a minute after start up and it stays a round for a while then after first drive you can no longer hear it really didn't notice until I did a read on it the other day. Is it normal or the tuner
    My experience is if it has AFM on it you have a lifter going out or twisting in the plastic lifter tray that will wipe out your camshaft if not addressed. If you rebuild one and have any valve train work done you will have to get your pushrod length right or you will get that tick also. Just food for thought

i did a cam swap and trunion upgrade and in less than 1 year had a lifter fail. which made it tick REAL bad. so new oil pump with shimmed spring and new gm performance lifters with the bowtie on them and it still ticks slightly.

Tuner
    Flexplates/ Starter drives that are on their way out can cause a "ticking/tapping" noise too... Check your starter gear drive out very closely