Thread: P0128

California, Where they suck the fun out of Life

Question P0128

Here's my question. I keep getting a P0128 thanks to my larger radiator installed. I know the easy way is just to disable it, but I need it enabled for smog. Is there any way in the tune file to change the warm up threshold temperature? For the engine warm up cycle? To stop the p0128 from happening?

Senior Tuner
    Thermostat working? Radiator size shouldn't matter. And your vehicle and other details is also an enigma.

Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    Thermostat working? Radiator size shouldn't matter. And your vehicle and other details is also an enigma.
    Actually the radiator does make a difference because with the stock radiator I didn't have this issue with the P0128 on cool mornings. and my thermostat is fine. During the summertime there's no issues but as fall is approaching and temperatures start getting to the low 60s with high humidity in the morning. That's when it pops up with the P0128. The large radiator is great for where I'm at where the average temp during the summer is between 105F to 115F+ with single digit humidity, but when fall comes The engine temp doesn't come up fast as the ECU would like causing my problem the P0128.

Senior Tuner
    I've had to do this on swaps. Usually C10's cause you can get a huge radiator for them.

It's ok to just disable the code.. No adverse effects.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    I've had to do this on swaps. Usually C10's cause you can get a huge radiator for them.

It's ok to just disable the code.. No adverse effects.
    Unfortunately there is. A friend of mine a while back took his car to get a smog here in California and their machine picked up on the tune being altered. It got him an automatic trip to the smog ref which there is a 9-month wait to see him. And DMV will not give him a tag extension until he sees the smog ref. So he is out of his car until then. I don't need or want that headache. They are cracking down really hard here in California on smog check. I think most of it's from what VW did with their little smog fraud.

Best to move out of California…

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Charles View Post
    Best to move out of California…
    Spring of next year off to New Mexico to enjoy the desert Life.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Life is an Enigma View Post
    Actually the radiator does make a difference because with the stock radiator I didn't have this issue with the P0128 on cool mornings. and my thermostat is fine. During the summertime there's no issues but as fall is approaching and temperatures start getting to the low 60s with high humidity in the morning. That's when it pops up with the P0128. The large radiator is great for where I'm at where the average temp during the summer is between 105F to 115F+ with single digit humidity, but when fall comes The engine temp doesn't come up fast as the ECU would like causing my problem the P0128.
    Sorry but the thermostat absolutely regulates the temperature of the coolant in the block.

I had the same exact problem with my tahoe when installing a Champion brand 3 core aluminum radiator. Turned out the radiator didn't come with a restriction insert for the hose that connects to the coolant tank. I ended up getting some Delrin Acetal Rod 1/2" diameter and drilling an 1/8" hole in the center which is the same as the stock radiator restriction hole size and shoved it in the hose. Code never came back and temps go up to normal 208-210 when fully warmed up now. Just something to look into.
    02 Tahoe, Rebuilt 5.3, PRC 2.5 heads, BTR Stg2 V2 cam, 50lb Injectors, Speed Engineering LT's, Offroad Y, Magnaflow catback, Built 4L60, NP241 swap etc etc...

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Life is an Enigma View Post
    Unfortunately there is. A friend of mine a while back took his car to get a smog here in California and their machine picked up on the tune being altered. It got him an automatic trip to the smog ref which there is a 9-month wait to see him. And DMV will not give him a tag extension until he sees the smog ref. So he is out of his car until then. I don't need or want that headache. They are cracking down really hard here in California on smog check. I think most of it's from what VW did with their little smog fraud.
    That is so silly.

maybe blocking off some of the radiator would help.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    Sorry but the thermostat absolutely regulates the temperature of the coolant in the block.
    Not always the case. I've seen huge setups really drag out warm up time. Also boats are a good example of this.. Even with a 195 thermostat they will stay super cold. I've had probably more boats than not that will not hit the thermostat opening temp.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com

Advanced Tuner
    Put an electric water pump on it and don't turn it on until it up to temp.

Yep, boat setups lucky to hit 130 ECT running lake water.

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Even if you were to change the warmup threshold temperature, your vehicle would get flagged. Any changes to the tune will cause the checksum numbers not to match and tell the smog people that the vehicle has been messed with.

Quote Originally Posted by Pulse_GTO View Post
    Even if you were to change the warmup threshold temperature, your vehicle would get flagged. Any changes to the tune will cause the checksum numbers not to match and tell the smog people that the vehicle has been messed with.
    I decided just to roll the dice and disabled the P0128. I set the monitors then I went had it smog and it passed . And the tune was already altered because I turned on the electric fans in the tune. What was nice I retuned it and it did better this time than what it did two years ago the hydrocarbon count was high and barely passed. This time the hydrocarbon count was nice and low. I was lucky.