Thread: 07 I5.9 Truck TPS

Potential Tuner

Question 07 I5.9 Truck TPS

Can anyone else confirm that the TPS reading goes to 0% when cruise is enabled, latest version HPT, scanner. Is there a specific channel I need to add to see TPS when cruise is set..
    Thanks

Banned
    Normal, the ecm uses a table called equivalent throttle when in cruise control.

Potential Tuner
    How can I see that in real-time when connected? I do not see a channel for it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    If there is no channel for it then you can?t see it in real time

Yes tps goes to 0...why you wand to see that??
    03 cummins,175% flux injectors,dual cp3,s467.7/83 1.00
    Nv5600 with valair triple disc clutch

Potential Tuner
    Without knowing the position of throttle in % you do not know when the shift tables for transmission are taking place. Output shaft rpm vs tps % determines shift and lockup.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EzTunez View Post
    Output shaft rpm vs tps % determines shift and lockup.
    Only holds true to a certain degree and only for the 3-4 and 4-3 shifts.

Potential Tuner
    Yes and that's where I have an issue Im attempting to resolve. When cruise is enabled and you go over a hill the throttle backs off and the truck starts jerking, its either attempting to down shift or lock/unlock the torque converter, the later I believe is the culprit.
    You can apply just a little bit of pedal/accelerator and the jerking stops. So that tells me the throttle position effects the issue. If I could see this position while in cruise I could just copy the reading to the cruise table and Im pretty sure the issue is resolved.

Banned
    Sounds a lot more like the cruise control settings not reacting well with your engine tuning than anything else

Potential Tuner
    That is true, the engine and trans is running factory tune. I do not want to make any changes until I can see throttle position while in cruise.

Banned
    Probably one of these below pictured tables, my guess is the one on the right.
    throttle.png

Potential Tuner
    That pic isnt relevant to what is viewed within HPT when adding a channel for view/logging, that pic would be reflecting shaft speed and % if using editor. Keep in mind I'm attempting to view/read tps when in cruise.

Banned
    If one of those tables is the table used for the throttle when on cruise control than it is 100% relative. Throttle position is not based on shaft speed. It is based counts/voltage.
    Last edited by Jim P; 09-07-2022 at 10:58 AM.

Potential Tuner
    IF is a very large word and you have yet to name a table. (HPT has many tables, 1000s) No one said throttle position is based on shaft speed but you. Shaft speed compared to tps determines shift and lockup.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EzTunez View Post
    That pic isnt relevant to what is viewed within HPT when adding a channel for view/logging, that pic would be reflecting shaft speed and % if using editor. Keep in mind I'm attempting to view/read tps when in cruise.
    Hmmm... looks to me like YOU are the one saying that that picture would be reflecting SHAFT SPEED and %. I know how to goddamn read and I'm not retarded and no HPT does NOT have 1000's of tables mapped out for your specific calibration. There is a mix of almost 20,000 scalars, bits, and tables in your calibration and HPT has maybe 3% of that shown in their software. I can see 100% of what is in there. I told you that while in cruise control the ECM uses what is called equivalent throttle for determining throttle position. It uses equivalent throttle position because you are NOT using the damn throttle and it needs something to be based off of under driving conditions to regulate engine speed. There is equivalent throttle scalars in the calibration but no throttle table clearly labeled as equivalent throttle. In that picture the table on the left is the remote throttle which I believe is part of a different feature with the calibration, I can't recall what the other table was labeled as but I am pretty certain that is the equivalent throttle table. The damn table used while in CRUISE CONTROL. Something that you are wanting to see in datalogging, something I read you asking about and wanting to see further up on this thread which has already been stated it isn't something that's been mapped out for the HPT software. Shifts and lockup on the 48RE are based on throttle position and output shaft speed, if you are in cruise control and not touching the throttle, well, its gotta have a damn input to feed throttle position from somewhere! And that is where the equivalent throttle comes in and if it is the table on the right in that picture... well it makes it pretty goddamn relative! Just doesn't provide you any use because you can't see it or log any feedback on it. HPT has the shift tables pretty clearly labeled for which ones are 3-4, 4-3 shift while in cruise and which ones are for 3rd gear and 4th gear lockup/unlock while in cruise, it practically slaps me in the face it stands out so well, so what's the problem with just adjusting them till it sits where you want it to???

Potential Tuner
    Hfswada

prob needs a new trans if it's on stock power, we all know they are junk from day one unless built
    2010 F-350 03 5.9/848ecm, built 5R110, 30% over sticks, 10mm pump, 64mm Stealth Turbo
    2008 F-350 03 5.9
    Fumminstuning.com