Thread: Reading RTD file

Tuner in Training

Reading RTD file

Is there a way to look at the .RTD files?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Only the tuner who created the file can view the file.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    "It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks..."

Sounds like something a Moronic Child r**pist who has no grasp on reality would say! :P~~~~~~

So then if whipple sent them the RTD to install, how did the shop send me an .Hpt of the whipple tune to see?
    Last edited by TheOneAndOnly; 09-04-2022 at 02:17 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Probably by reading the file out of the ECM with a MPVI unit. The RTD file is only encrypted until its flashed.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by slimmons2009 View Post
    Probably by reading the file out of the ECM with a MPVI unit. The RTD file is only encrypted until its flashed.
    That makes sense

Tuner in Training
    Can the same be done with an MPVI2? I'm pretty sure I tried that and it couldn't read it.

Potential Tuner
    No, what you are trying to do is a no-no. Is there a way to do it? sure, anything can be done. Thats how fraud is done, and lawsuits follow.

The RTD file is that tuners work, you are not given access to it. Not saying you have a malicious reason by any means, I dont think you do. But many are, and thats why its encrypted and not easy. We rely on HPT to keep our intellectual property as safe as possible, so its not meant to be read.

Long story short, if you need help...your tuner should be able to help you, thats the purpose of them remotely tuning it.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the clarification. Nothing malicious intended. I don't know enough to be dangerous anyways. The problem lies within the part of your statement about how the "tuner should be able to handle it"... I agree 110%. Especially for the money they charge. The unfortunate reality in so many cases is that they either can't or won't. We've all read horror story after horror story about shit tuners who have no business modifying someone's vehicle. I've got a few of my own. That's what finally pushed me to start doing my own tuning.

Now a friend has gotten into a similar situation but he's got an RTD tune and a tuner that's gone MIA. I'm pretty sure I can help but now he'll have to pay again to relicense the vehicle with a new tuner and start all over from scratch.

I get what you're saying about intellectual property and to some extent I agree but it's also something those customers paid for and it should be their's to do with as they please. You can't prosecute someone for a crime until they actually commit it. That's kinda like how GM has been pushing for legislation to make it illegal for us to modify their PCM's because that's THEIR intellectual property. That would really put some people out of business.

Don't take my little rant personal, I'm just venting. I hate seeing people get taken advantage of by these "tuners".

Advanced Tuner
    I am not arguing, just stating my opinion.

What about the rest of the file that the tuner did not touch and is the intellectual property of the automobile manufacturer? What right do you have to lock down work that does not belong to you without giving them some type of compensation when doing so? If you are paying some type of license fee to the manufacturer for permission to redistribute modified versions of their work then great, lock it up. But that will not be because you want to, it would be because you likely legally have to. Similar to other tool manufactures, HPT sells a device compatible with their own internally developed software (subject to the readers opinion of what constitutes one person or companies own work I guess?) with select access to, not modification of, manufacture calibrations. Even that is probably a grey area. Just ask support a non-software or non-device question. The response you receive will clearly let you know they are not tuners and do not offer consultation services related to modifications of factory calibrations. Are they happy when you redistribute or otherwise modify their work? No, because it is prohibited in the EULA.

The concept of tune locking is flawed and probably grounds for a lawsuit in itself. The mindset of some needs to change in this area because your IPR argument, in my opinion, is not correct.

*EDIT* kyotey typed faster than me!
    Last edited by eXo3901; 10-14-2022 at 09:22 AM. Reason: To slow!

Potential Tuner
    Sorry to bring back an old thread....
    Is there a way to change an rtd file to something the rest of us can read? Not trying to steal anything but wanted to poke around inside the stock file I saved for whipple. I'll be able to read the tune on the truck when I receive my mpvi, but it will be whipples modified tune.
    Is that possible or am I stuck with the modified tune that I read?

Tuner in Training
    Read it out with HP tuners MPVI unless it's encrypted which seem to be only Ford PCMs. If it's encrypted then you're going to have to have the tools to read it out, hex edit the encryption, and open it.

Ya, but aren't we stealing GM/Ford etc... intellectual property and then modifying it to fit our needs?