Thread: 4.8 224/230 cam tuning surging and knock retard

Potential Tuner

Exclamation 4.8 224/230 cam tuning surging and knock retard

just got this 224/230 .553/.553 109+0 cam put in my 00 silverado. tried tuning it for idle, followed a guide that was posted here by rinkrat456 and it turns on good without giving it gas or nothing but it does say that i get around 8* of KR and i was very worried, tried taking it around the block and every time i would slow down for a stop and pressed the clutch in the truck would shoot the rpms up and slowly lower them.
    the truck is manual and i honestly just cammed it for the mean idle im not really looking to race it or none of that just want a nice sounding truck but i cant even get it there.
    if anyone could help me out i would really appreciate it4.8 cammed base tune.hptcammed 4.8 log.hpl

Advanced Tuner
    You better fix that lean fueling! Multiply the Primary & Secondary VE by 1.5 from 15-105kPa and 400-1200rpm to start and to protect the engine.
    The Underspeed table is set to +10* even when there is 0rpm error. 0 error should = 0* and set the values from -25 = 1.5* to -100 rpm = 8* and interpolate. You can put the lopey timing back in after the idle and fuel is corrected. 0 error should always be 0* correction.
    Here is a good set of channels to log.
    Your Hi and Low octane Advance should be set closer to idle spark (15-18*) in gear from 400- 1200rpm and below from about 0.36 g/s to 0.08 g/s
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Hondaeater; 09-05-2022 at 06:55 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Put at least 0.5 in the startup airflow decay lol. And set off-idle scalar to 1.00 not 0, set delay to 0 so it starts and begins removing the added startup airflow.
    If you are tuning this yourself you need to watch and research more.

Potential Tuner

Unhappy

started messing with the truck again with a little more knowledge, im still getting alot of knock retard & misfires, i have the timing stupid low so im lost on what to do next, i attached a small log hopefully thats enough for some input, thanks in advance

Advanced Tuner
    cammed 4.8try.hpt
    Changed your misfire tables and disabled burst knock. I believe this is the issue.

Potential Tuner

Question

loaded up the tune you sent me, it seems like it got better but it still knocks when i drive it, i got a pretty long log this time see if that helps, i havent changed anything else on the tune i feel like the timing is already pretty low but then again im not sure

Advanced Tuner
    Wowzers! Ok, I see your fuel trims are way outta whack. This much knock could be from a really lean condition or terrible gas or it could be noise. Try to get your fueling under control by checking for exhaust/intake leaks or weak injectors.

Potential Tuner

Exclamation

i hooked up a wideband and started dialing in the ve table, i also tried desensitizing the knock sensors and taking away 5* of timing but it still gives me some knock, im hoping its just noise but i dont know, any help to point me in the right direction would really be appreciated.

Advanced Tuner
    If your fuel trims are accurate or at least close, then get some high octane fuel and/or add an octane booster. See if that helps.
    How old is the gas? If it's been in there months, I would drain and replace gas with high octane. You already dropped the timing right? That should help figure out if it's noise.

Check for knock sensor DTC's. A knock sensor code will show false knock.

Russ Kemp

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ K View Post
    Check for knock sensor DTC's. A knock sensor code will show false knock.

Russ Kemp
    I have seen a bad knock sensor not set a failure code for a while as well, yet max out on false knock retard as soon as the PCM enables it off-idle.