Thread: 02' Grand Am 3.4 - advice request

Potential Tuner

02' Grand Am 3.4 - advice request

Hi everyone - I have a stock 02' Pontiac Grand Am GT 3.4 that I want to squeeze a few more ponies out of - Any recommendations in which area I should start at?

I've attached the Stock file .hpt for reference.

My first plan of attack was getting her to 93 octane, PE enabled at 30% tps, deleting egr

Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Themanytoys15 View Post
    Hi everyone - I have a stock 02' Pontiac Grand Am GT 3.4 that I want to squeeze a few more ponies out of - Any recommendations in which area I should start at?

I've attached the Stock file .hpt for reference.

My first plan of attack was getting her to 93 octane, PE enabled at 30% tps, deleting egr

Thanks.
    I tuned my grandmothers 03 Alero 3.4L years ago. The PE @ 30% throttle and deleting EGR will not add anything to your power and kill your fuel mileage. The stock 3.4L also does not need 93 octane. Those heads burn well enough that you can reach MBT before becoming knock limited. There is little to be done to the engine tuning to gain power as GM did not leave much on the table. I cleaned up the fueling and altered the stoich value for the 10% ethanol which eliminated the +8-10% LTFTs and the rich WOT condition.

What really changed the Alero was Shift Points and Lockup. The stock transmission is in overdrive by like 20 mph and slips the torque converter until it finally locks at 45 mph. Makes it an absolute slush box. I changed the tables using Blucats to enable TCC under normal acceleration in 2nd gear. Shift pattern went from 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, Lockup; to 1st, 2nd, Lockup, 3rd and 4th. HUGE improvement in the way the car drove.