Thread: Stock VW Amarok V6 3.0 TDI - getting better economy in 7th than 8th at hwy speeds

Tuner in Training

Question Stock VW Amarok V6 3.0 TDI - getting better economy in 7th than 8th at hwy speeds

Hi, I'm newish to performing ecu tuning but have been studying the theory basics for a while and have some basic knowledge.

I've been trying to get to the bottom of why my stock VAG 3.0L DDXC engine with auto 8 speed ZF uses approx 10% more fuel in 8th gear than in 7th gear, so I've been logging data for a while trying to get to the bottom of it. The vehicle is low kms (8000km) and no modifications have been made to the vehicle (other than an LED light bar). The vehicle recently did a 2000km journey across what is mostly very flat terrain and did a couple of full regens during this trip, but problem remained. The below image shows what I've found, that at highway cruise speeds in 7th there is no post injection (0mg/str) but in 8th this comes on at approx 3.0mg/str. Whilst I strongly believe this is causing the increase in fuel consumption, I don't know what is triggering it other than maybe a passive DPF regen setting.

Has anyone experienced this phenomenon and been able to rectify the issue with a tune setting? Can anyone confirm my theory and help with what tuning function can best help? I'm not really a fan of DPF delete but would like to turn off passive mode if this is an option?

Log-vw-3.0-tdi.jpg

Tuner in Training
    its prob doing regen - that kills mpg. you should ask on a vag forum or tdi forum... theres not a lot of people on here with those.

they're not even in USA

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_Enthuse View Post
    Hi, I'm newish to performing ecu tuning but have been studying the theory basics for a while and have some basic knowledge.

I've been trying to get to the bottom of why my stock VAG 3.0L DDXC engine with auto 8 speed ZF uses approx 10% more fuel in 8th gear than in 7th gear, so I've been logging data for a while trying to get to the bottom of it. The vehicle is low kms (8000km) and no modifications have been made to the vehicle (other than an LED light bar). The vehicle recently did a 2000km journey across what is mostly very flat terrain and did a couple of full regens during this trip, but problem remained. The below image shows what I've found, that at highway cruise speeds in 7th there is no post injection (0mg/str) but in 8th this comes on at approx 3.0mg/str. Whilst I strongly believe this is causing the increase in fuel consumption, I don't know what is triggering it other than maybe a passive DPF regen setting.

Has anyone experienced this phenomenon and been able to rectify the issue with a tune setting? Can anyone confirm my theory and help with what tuning function can best help? I'm not really a fan of DPF delete but would like to turn off passive mode if this is an option?

Log-vw-3.0-tdi.jpg
    Just curious, what are you using for that datalog? I've been looking for something to datalog TDIs because I hate VCDS.

Tuner in Training
    Using Car Scanner Pro app from Google Play with ELM327 Bluetooth adaptor

Tuner in Training
    Thanks @smelly240 yes I will try on those types of platforms too

Tuner
    Hey there are hopefully others that know more than I do on this subject but let me toss out an idea: at the speed in question, could the torque converter be locked in 7th and slipping in 8th? It's been a while but I think the HP logging tool can either log torque converter slip % or you can log engine RPM and transmission input shaft RPM and look at the difference.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks @ELaw I'll definitely give that a check

Tuner in Training
    Post up the tune, should be easily adjusted.