Thread: Can VCM Editor or Scanner kill Corvette HMI (multimedia module)?

Tuner in Training

Can VCM Editor or Scanner kill Corvette HMI (multimedia module)?

Hey all, I have a 2017 C7 stingray. 32k miles on the dash. Finally got around to installing headers and have been making lots of revisions and writes to the ECU.
    I noticed that after each write, the center screen would reboot, music would stop, bluetooth would disconnect, etc...which makes sense. I then turn the ignition off and on before starting the car.

One observation is that flashing/logging the car messed with the clock. Otherwise, nothing crazy would happen.

Today my screen stopped working after writing a new revision. Total pitch black. No bluetooth, no radio, no clock. Nothing.
    I didn't have VCM Scanner running yet but the screen went pitch black shortly after writing to the vehicle.

This tells me that the HMI (multimedia) module is bricked/dead or the screen is dead.

I did, however, also notice that the footwell gets much hotter after adding long tube headers. The metal frame under the dash gets so hot. Almost too hot to touch. I wonder if excess heat is getting into the cabin and caused one of the two units I mentioned to fail.
    Or it may all just be coincidence and the HMI was going to fail anyway, because it is known to be failure prone...

Anyone else ever observe something similar based on these conditions?
    Last edited by itspeat; 09-08-2022 at 08:06 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Can't say I've observed the editor or scanner kill a corvette E92 module or any of the modules on the bus. Likely a fluke or if your headers are close enough to the units the excess heat could've shortened their life.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

I would say coincidence. Long time GM Chevrolet dealer tech. On Corvettes it was always standard practice to keep the ignition on for several minutes before programming any module so that they can all finish their state of health message. The work around is using a little tool I have that removes the STAR connector and allows you to connect to specific modules while disconnecting all other so there is no communication issues.
    I would suggest waiting for 5 minutes or so with ignition on before attempting any write function.

Tuner in Training
    Ok thanks fellas. Yea I figured it wouldn't be likely since I know the HMI fails on these things by themselves.
    Of course it happened right after the warranty ended *sigh* and right after headers and tune.
    I know people have flashed their C7s hundreds of times without any issues but it was just a thought that the HMI module could end up soft bricked or something and it might be recoverable.

Heat from the headers doesn't seem too excessive but it is definitely warmer in the cabin. The module is located by my left foot on the driver side.
    Going to see if I can find a way to program a replacement HMI to the VIN of the vehicle before I try to replace it myself.

Ceramic lizard skin on the underside of the floor pan. Works miracles. Drops temps a ton.