Thread: Firing order change on a 5.4 3v? 7.3 Godzilla swap on stock ecu?

Tuner in Training

Firing order change on a 5.4 3v? 7.3 Godzilla swap on stock ecu?

Hi there, guy brought me a 2009 F150 5.4 with a new Godzilla 7.3 swapped in to get up and running. He is intending to use the factory 5.4 ECU and re wired the harness to fit the 7.3, the only exception being retaining the factory 5.4 throttle body and MAF. The 7.3 has the 5.4 crank trigger wheel and cam wheel, so no trigger issues. I see RPM sync fine when cranking.

But my issue is this, the 7.3 has a different firing order than the 5.4 and I'm not seeing a way to change that in HPtuners. Even if we re-wired the injectors and coils to match the new firing order, would the ECU not detect "wrong" cylinders firing all the time and lose it's mind thinking it's misfiring badly? He seems determined to use the 5.4 ECU to develop a method to do these 7.3 swaps easily, but I'm thinking a standalone is what we need here (or Ford's new control pack).

One other issue is I'm not able to find injector data for the factory 7.3 injectors, but that's not as big an issue because those can be swapped out. Ford/Bosch part numbers are: LC3Z-9F593-A/0280158439

Here is the stock read file off the ECU if anyone has any insights.

VIVESH_ORIGINAL.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    There isn't a great standalone, the ones available are meant more for racing than driving. Ford has released their auto version, with the manual one coming.

You can make the firing order swap work, ecm doesn't know what cylinder is firing, just that one is. Same as doing the firing order swap for a gen 2 coyote to make the control pack PCM run the truck cams.

You can get the injector data from this file:2021 f250 stock file.hpt

You have other problems with the 5.4l pcm.... How are you going to control the variable displacement oil pump? How are you going to control the cam timing?

Tuner in Training
    Cam timing locked out with lockout block, oil pump locked out with 417 Motorsports oil pan kit. Thanks for the stock read file, that solves my injector data problem.

EDIT: I see now where to change firing order in the 5.4's tune, I assumed it would be under the engine general tab but it's under the spark tab. I'll update you guys if we get it started this week.
    firingorder.png
    Last edited by Mucho_Boosto; 09-10-2022 at 03:57 PM.