Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5.7 Hemi is struggling after new cam

Potential Tuner

5.7 Hemi is struggling after new cam

My 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.7 recently ate up a cam lobe due to a failed lifter and after the new cam (plus supporting mods) and tune were installed it started to run significantly worse than before. It has problems starting and feels bogged down when I took it for a test drive. I loaded up the stock tune and it started better on the stock tune with the higher idle speed but everything else was about the same. Afterwards I had it scanned and there was a CEL for P0014: Camshaft Position B ? Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1). If anyone has any experience with this problem and tuning 5.7 Hemi's in general I would love to have your help.

Cam is the Comp Cams NSR Stage 1 HRT 216/222 201-300-17
    Intake Duration @ .006: 269
    Exhaust Duration @ .006: 271
    Intake @ .050": 216
    Exhaust @ .050" Lift: 222
    Lobe Separation: 114
    ICL: 107

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    the car will need a completely different tune

stock will not work at all
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Quote Originally Posted by dbelles View Post
    My 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.7 recently ate up a cam lobe due to a failed lifter and after the new cam (plus supporting mods) and tune were installed it started to run significantly worse than before. It has problems starting and feels bogged down when I took it for a test drive. I loaded up the stock tune and it started better on the stock tune with the higher idle speed but everything else was about the same. Afterwards I had it scanned and there was a CEL for P0014: Camshaft Position B ? Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1). If anyone has any experience with this problem and tuning 5.7 Hemi's in general I would love to have your help.

Cam is the Comp Cams NSR Stage 1 HRT 216/222 201-300-17
    Intake Duration @ .006: 269
    Exhaust Duration @ .006: 271
    Intake @ .050": 216
    Exhaust @ .050" Lift: 222
    Lobe Separation: 114
    ICL: 107

Did you install the Phaser Limiter/lock ?
    62 Biscayne 425/409 SS/D stock class car 10.60s
    66 Dart 426CIG3 8.60@171 2750lbs Naturally asperated
    04 Ram All Alum , 468Ci G3 10.50s @4800 lbs Naturally asperated
    04 Rumble Bee, built 6.1 ,4000lbs 10.48 @ 129s MPH. Naturally asperated
    05 Rumble Stock 5.7, 3.92s TUNE ONLY 13.94@98mph

Potential Tuner
    I did.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SultanHassanMasTuning View Post
    the car will need a completely different tune

stock will not work at all
    I might have explained what I did poorly, but I installed the custom tune first and the truck didn't run well. It wouldn't start easily and was running very lean. I reinstalled the stock tune and started it and it started easier that's about all I did.

Doesnt take much to get it to idle. I thing the cam is installed wrong or the cam phaser has failed. If that spring inside the phaser gets loose it is toast .

www.n2speed.com
    http://www.amp4x4.com
    [email protected]

Dodge And GM Tuning Suppport
    Diablosport CMR | HP Tuners

Tuner
    Your timing is off by one tooth
    2016 Ram CCSB Forged NA 396ci Stroker
    +1.5cc Flat top Mahle Power-Pak Forged Pistons w/13.2/1 CR on E85
    Forged Manley 4.05" Stroke Crank
    Race Ported Eagles/Titanium 2.10"/Titanium 1.62" Valves
    Self-Designed Custom Grind 236/249 .629/.629 111LSA 110ICL+1Adv
    Ported Holley Hi-Ram Intake/NXpress Hi-Ram NO2 Plate kit w/250 Shot(4 sec)
    Tx Spd 2" Prim LT Headers/Active Viper Hood/2-Step Launch
    ATI SD w/15% UD/Hellcat Pump/Demon 700cc Inj
    Edge Pro Conv w/3800 stall/Det Tru-Trac/410 Gears

Tuner
    Believe it or not, its actually easy to do. It took me two months of trying anything else and sheer denial, but eventually I had come to realize that my timimg was in fact retarded by 1 tooth after my initial cam install. But Im going to share something with you that i wish i had been told back when I went through similar issues myself. Instead of going right in and tearing your timing cover and all apart, try this first to aid in verifying potential miss set timing... Go to your scanner, click on "add channel".. then go under Engine and click, then scroll down to where it says "Camshaft & Crankshaft" and click this... then scroll about midway down til you see "Exhaust Cam Des Angle" and add this as a channel. Then click on "Add channel" again... and in the same subset, click on the next one which is "Exhaust Cam Angle" and select this as the second added channel. then select the following one as a new channel as well, which will be "Exhaust Cam Error" and finally select the following one after that as well, which is "Exhaust Cam Center Pos". Then go ahead and turn the key to run and make sure you are running an active log... then scroll down to these 4 newly added channels and see what they are reading... Then start it up and record what they are reading again as well. In short, if your "Exhaust Cam Angle" and "Exhaust Cam Des Angle"(Desired Angle) are different then your timing is undoubtedly off. If you are running a cam phaser lockout, your desired and actual exhaust cam angle should be reading something like 128 degrees. If you find that your timing is actually spot on, though its probably unlikely, the only other possibility that Id say would be the cause has been brought up in N2Speed's last post talking about the cam phaser failing. Ive seen twice where one of the pins holding the spring inline and with tension has sheered off, causing the spring in the phaser to lose its tension, thus failing. Hope this helps. Good Luck!
    Last edited by Spray-Cam Hell-Ram; 09-16-2022 at 05:35 AM.

I’m going to 2nd what mr spray cam hell ram said, , that cam is a good cam, and doesn’t take a lot to idle , it’s roughly the 268 cam for the eagle 5.7 , looking at your tunes, it’s there, so it has to be in the install, these cams are easy to get off a tooth.
    04 GTX........ 8.91@151mph 392Ci G3Hemi NA 3600lbs 2.6HP/CI Naturally Aspirated
    05 GTxtreme 9:45@142mph 426Ci G3Hemi NA 4000lbs
    G3 Hemi Videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClS...5mXdDR5sOxs10Q

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRam View Post
    I?m going to 2nd what mr spray cam hell ram said, , that cam is a good cam, and doesn?t take a lot to idle , it?s roughly the 268 cam for the eagle 5.7 , looking at your tunes, it?s there, so it has to be in the install, these cams are easy to get off a tooth.
    I had one too that ran like poop after a cam swap. Even though we had rolled the engine over about 6 full rotations verifying all the rockers were moving, one of the exhaust pushrods popped out of place on startup before the lifters pumped back up. A cammed Hemi running on 7 filling the intake with exhaust from 1 cylinder practically will not idle. Ot threw a misfire code for that cylinder. I pulled the valve cover, reinstalled the pushrod. It instantly idled and ran on the stock tuning.

your tune file..

here i adjusted the tune for you to eliminate that as an issue so you can diagnose your problem properly. Good Luck..

DEMIGOD TUNING on FACEBOOK
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for posting this . I wanted to try it because I have been having problems with a comp cams stage 1
    I believe I may have the timing off.
    I did what you said but cant find the channel for Exhaust Cam Angle.
    All I have is channel for Exh Cam clipped and Exh cam DC besides the ones you said prior.
    Thanks if you can help me.
    Stephen

"Go to your scanner, click on "add channel".. then go under Engine and click, then scroll down to where it says "Camshaft & Crankshaft" and click this... then scroll about midway down til you see "Exhaust Cam Des Angle" and add this as a channel. Then click on "Add channel" again... and in the same subset, click on the next one which is "Exhaust Cam Angle" and select this as the second added channel. then select the following one as a new channel as well, which will be "Exhaust Cam Error" and finally select the following one after that as well, which is "Exhaust Cam Center Pos". Then go ahead and turn the key to run and make sure you are running an active log... then scroll down to these 4 newly added channels and see what they are reading... Then start it up and record"

Tuner
    go to Engine, then scroll down and youll see a sub-heading called "Camshaft". Select that one and scroll down about halfway and you should see exhaust cam angle desired and exhaust cam angle. Log both and compare the two. If they deviate from one another, your timing is off.

Tuner
    Or you can select the three listed by Gulf Coast Auto. Either route you go, it'll be pretty clear whether your timing is off or not

Tuner in Training
    Apparently mine does not "cam angle" for intake or exhaust. but I will try the others. thanks again
    Last edited by gulfcoastauto; 09-30-2022 at 07:46 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Just as a follow up I logged a run with the channels for exhaust cam angle and it says 128 desired and cam center is reading 127. Would you say that was off?
    I havent even started to tune it but Im getting a p0014 and a C121C code so I cant drive it. Trying to figure out if that C code if my cam being of a tooth.

2010 Dodge Ram 5.7 stock tune 1st run.hpl

not because of the cam you have something else going on

www.n2speed.com
    http://www.amp4x4.com
    [email protected]

Dodge And GM Tuning Suppport
    Diablosport CMR | HP Tuners

Quote Originally Posted by N2speed View Post
    not because of the cam you have something else going on
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    What he said.
    62 Biscayne 425/409 SS/D stock class car 10.60s
    66 Dart 426CIG3 8.60@171 2750lbs Naturally asperated
    04 Ram All Alum , 468Ci G3 10.50s @4800 lbs Naturally asperated
    04 Rumble Bee, built 6.1 ,4000lbs 10.48 @ 129s MPH. Naturally asperated
    05 Rumble Stock 5.7, 3.92s TUNE ONLY 13.94@98mph

Tuner in Training
    ok thanks again. that code can be for a bad pcm , bad abs module or excessive load. But it can also be set with a cam sensor - crank sensor code. I have done only one other 09 ram 5.7 and didnt have this problem but with a cam swap I did have the same cam sensor code .

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Spray-Cam Hell-Ram View Post
    Believe it or not, its actually easy to do. It took me two months of trying anything else and sheer denial, but eventually I had come to realize that my timimg was in fact retarded by 1 tooth after my initial cam install. But Im going to share something with you that i wish i had been told back when I went through similar issues myself. Instead of going right in and tearing your timing cover and all apart, try this first to aid in verifying potential miss set timing... Go to your scanner, click on "add channel".. then go under Engine and click, then scroll down to where it says "Camshaft & Crankshaft" and click this... then scroll about midway down til you see "Exhaust Cam Des Angle" and add this as a channel. Then click on "Add channel" again... and in the same subset, click on the next one which is "Exhaust Cam Angle" and select this as the second added channel. then select the following one as a new channel as well, which will be "Exhaust Cam Error" and finally select the following one after that as well, which is "Exhaust Cam Center Pos". Then go ahead and turn the key to run and make sure you are running an active log... then scroll down to these 4 newly added channels and see what they are reading... Then start it up and record what they are reading again as well. In short, if your "Exhaust Cam Angle" and "Exhaust Cam Des Angle"(Desired Angle) are different then your timing is undoubtedly off. If you are running a cam phaser lockout, your desired and actual exhaust cam angle should be reading something like 128 degrees. If you find that your timing is actually spot on, though its probably unlikely, the only other possibility that Id say would be the cause has been brought up in N2Speed's last post talking about the cam phaser failing. Ive seen twice where one of the pins holding the spring inline and with tension has sheered off, causing the spring in the phaser to lose its tension, thus failing. Hope this helps. Good Luck!
    i followed this and still dont get any readings, channels are in the scanner but nothing shows up? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!mds and cam phaser all idle 800 maxAF 1000.hplbase tune mds delete and cam phaser disable.hpl